MN MN - Winona Co, 'Angel Doe', NewbornFem UP12804, Miss River, angel figurines, bracelet, bell, Sep'11

Joe Friday

Getting the Facts
Reaction score
Still No Solid Leads in Case of Newborn Found in Mississippi River

The Winona County sheriff's department still has no solid leads in the case of a newborn girl found floating in a bag in the Mississippi River.

Boaters discovered the body about 2 p.m. Monday on the river about 6 miles south of Winona. An autopsy is being conducted.

Read more at link: http://kstp.com/news/stories/S2273906.shtml?cat=1

Wow, I just seen this on NG. How sad that she is the 4th baby found there. I hope they find the person/persons responsible. I wonder if this is the only 4 or if there have been more, it sounded like the first two were from the same mother (couldn't sit and listen to it all, but I think that's what was said).

Not sure why, but the first thing in my head was maybe some sicko had a girl/woman held captive and is raping her, taking the babies and disposing of them. I guess I have a hard time believing that a mother could do this.

Whoever is dumping the babies, assuming of close that all four are related, shouldn't be that hard to find. It seems that unlike most mothers that dump babies, this one isn't moving on as soon as they dump the child. This is her comfort zone, she isn't going anywhere. That means that unless the mother is a captive, there is someone that knows of a woman that has been pregnant, at least a couple times, and either claiming to have stillbirths or late term miscarriages. The police need to be appealing to the public, and the media needs to be pushing the story. I really think this one is solvable with enough media exposure.

http://www.weau.com/news/headlines/129570588.html

An infant girl whose body was found recently in the Mississippi River may soon find her final resting place near three other babies discarded in the same way.

Jeanne and Don Madtson donated space in their family plot in Red Wing's Oakwood Cemetery for the first three babies, whose bodies were found in 1999, 2004 and 2007. Their names are etched on a single stone: Jamie, Corey, Abby.

The Madtsons have told Goodhue County authorities they would do the same for the fourth child.

Police hope figurines, T-shirt, other clues lead to mom of baby 'Angel' found in river near Winona
The newborn girl was dumped in the Mississippi River on or just before Labor Day, sealed in a canvas bag with the name of a Mexican tourist town stitched on the side.

Inside, she was wrapped in a green T-shirt, and tied in two plastic garbage bags. Two small angel figurines lay next to her.

A charm bracelet - with an eye motif - and two more, larger angel figurines were placed in the canvas bag, too.

Then someone - presumably her mother - put the 7-pound girl in the river near Winona. She was found dead Labor Day afternoon by a passing boater.

"We've named her Angel," said Winona County Sheriff Steve Brand. "We want to give Angel a last name."

http://www.twincities.com/ci_18884293?nclick_check=1

"Authorities show items found with deceased infant" (photos):

http://www.chron.com/news/article/A...ound-with-deceased-infant-2169205.php#photo-2

The "kissing angel bell" found with the newborn girl found Sept. 5, 2011 was made by Inarco Japan and originally part of a set with a male angel bell. It appears to be vintage (obviously it couldn't be older than 1960, when the company was founded):

http://www.tias.com/153/PictPage/3923219218.html

Inarco history:

http://mizfooty.blogspot.com/2008/07/brief-history-of-inarco-lefton-and.html

Could the angel have been acquired secondhand or passed down from a mother or grandmother? It seems a bit too vintage to have been bought new by the mother herself.

The "Anno Domina 2000" angel looks like something you could have ordered from the ads in magazines and coupon pages. Maybe it was part of a series, one for each year?

For what it's worth, I'm forwarding this information to the Winona Co. Sheriff's Office.

I asked the mods to create a new thread for Angel Doe since her information was added to thread for a different case. I didn't want to see her info get lost in the discussion on another case.

The newborn girl was dumped in the Mississippi River on or just before Labor Day, sealed in a canvas bag with the name of a Mexican tourist town stitched on the side.

Inside, she was wrapped in a green T-shirt and tied inside two plastic garbage bags. Two small angel figurines lay next to her.

A charm bracelet - with an eye motif - and two larger angel figurines were placed in the canvas bag, too.

Then someone - presumably her mother - put the 7-pound girl in the river near Winona. She was found dead Labor Day afternoon by a passing boater.
"We've named her Angel," said Winona County Sheriff Steve Brand. "We want to give Angel a last name."

Full article at link:

http://www.twincities.com/ci_18888775

ETA: Many more photos of items found with Angel at above link.

Can someone make out the name of the Mexican city on the white tote? I can't read it too well.

The charm bracelet is also shown in the above link. It looks to me like something made from a kit purchased for kids. Something one might find at a discount dollar store type of place.

I'm also wondering how the mother, or person who dumped this newborn came upon the tote from Mexico. While it might be a stretch, I'm thinking along the lines of DuPage Johnny doe. When detectives did the isotope (sp?) analysis they determined his mother was pregnant with him somewhere in either Northern MN, or far south central Canada. Even though he was found deceased in DuPage Cty, IL and his family is believed to be hiding somewhere near Mexico City. His father is wanted for some kind of fake id/false document out of or near the Little Village neighborhood of Chicago. The tote from Mexico and the MN connection brought this case to mind. Makes me wonder if perhaps his family has left Mexico and is back up in MN again.

I'm hoping the MN agency handling Angels case is able to do some kind of determination of where Angels mom might have resided to see if there is any possible connection. And of course the other possible connection to the previous newborns found in the Mississippi in MN.

Praying this little one is id'd soon.

That would be an incredibly sad scenario, not that this isn't heartbreaking enough.

The bag says "Manzanillo."

Both the large glass eye and the small beads with multiple eyes on them are apparently readily-available craft items for jewelry making. A Google Image search for "eye bracelet" or "evil eye bracelet" pulled up nearly identical glass eyes and multi-eyed beads. Maybe the baby's mother bought hers from a craft fair, who knows.

This site says the eye is a good luck charm:

http://handicraft.indiamart.com/articles/good-luck-charms-to-bring-home-luck.html

Thank you tatertot. Manzanillo appears to be quite a distance from Mexico City. Due to the distance, I doubt this has any relation to DuPage Johnny's case.

It may also be the mother of this child was given the tote as a gift or purchased in a second hand store.

Hoping LE is getting some leads on this case.

For what it's worth, I've actually bought exactly the same "charm" in Turkey. It is used as a good luck charm there - the eye is meant to ward off evil as far as I can remember! They are sold in almost every shop in the tourist locations there and come in keyrings, rings, bracelets, necklaces, wall hangings etc; etc;

As far as a Mexican connection it says in Wikipedia under "evil eye" (If this is a reliable source I don't know), "In Mexico and Central America, infants are considered at special risk for the evil eye (see mal de ojo, above) and are often given an amulet bracelet as protection, typically with an eye-like spot painted on the amulet."

Do we know the specific area of the Mississippi River or location? I have done extensive research on this topic and studies show that the mother probably lives very close to the disposal site... I would like to look at a google map of the area...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back