U.S. officials verify specific and credible - but unconfirmed - 9/11 threat

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
The adjective "unconfirmed" gives me reason to hope.

Officials confirm 'credible but unconfirmed' 9/11 threat (CNN)

U.S. officials said Thursday evening they have "specific, credible but unconfirmed" information about a threat against the United States coinciding with the 10th anniversary of the September 11 terrorist attacks.

Officials declined to disclose details of the threat, including any suspected method of attack or possible targets, although one source said the cities of New York and Washington were specifically mentioned as possible targets. Officials said they were taking the threat seriously, while evidently trying to temper the news by saying such threats are commonplace during key events.
---
more at CNN link above

New York police chief warns of 9/11 threat (BBC)

The head of police in New York has told the BBC that he is worried that al-Qaeda may attack the city on the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 terror attacks.

Commissioner Raymond Kelly said documents in the compound in which Osama Bin Laden was killed revealed plans for attacks marking the event.

He also said police believe that terror groups may be conducting reconnaissance of New York "on a daily basis".

The warning came as the BBC gained rare access to New York's security planning.
---
much more at BBC link above

MSNBC just said that the threat originates out of Pakistan and involves the use of a car or truck with a bomb to go off in either NYC or D.C.

What always amazes me is why anyone would plot a terrorist attack on or around a day that everyone expects there to be an attack. Wouldn't they want the surprise factor? All I can say is I'm glad they don't think like me.

MSNBC just said that the threat originates out of Pakistan and involves the use of a car or truck with a bomb to go off in either NYC or D.C.

Don't like this one bit... :no:

This is why I want to leave the DC area. Of course it can happen anywhere, but the DC area is a prime target for terrorists.

Considering all the comments I'm reading online that are calling this potential threat complete BS made up by the media or the Obama administration, I would say that a terrorist attack this weekend would still have the "surprise factor" for millions of Americans.

My husband is in NYC right now getting ready to fly to France tomorrow morning. When he first planed this trip I thought he was crazy for flying internationally at this time. He thought the opposite--that it would be the safest time to fly. However he did say last night that LAX had the strictest security he has seen in ages.

I don't know if there will be an attack this week. But if there is I would think it will be big. Like bigger than a truck bomb. After 9/11 they would want something to compare.

So if there is some type of attack, I am thinking radioactivity or biological will be involved.

Just one question...

How can something be credible, specific, and unconfirmed at the same time?

Just one question...

How can something be credible, specific, and unconfirmed at the same time?

credible: it is feasible, and the source of information is worthy

specific: a site or sites have been identified

unconfirmed: we do not yet have this information from multiple sources

Something like that.

I live in Orlando and I have always worried that Disney would be an easy target. Security, quite frankly, is a joke. And with all the children and families, it would hit an emotional chord with a lot of people (as would any target, but you know what I mean). Plus, since it is such a huge tourist destination, it would seriously damage the economy (at least in Florida).

Always hate posting stuff like this because I don't want to give anyone any ideas!! Sure...because all the terrorists are reading my posts waiting for me to say something important. LOL!

Terrorists do not want to surprise us; they want to terrorize us. The threat of an attack does that just as much as an actual attack.

What always amazes me is why anyone would plot a terrorist attack on or around a day that everyone expects there to be an attack. Wouldn't they want the surprise factor? All I can say is I'm glad they don't think like me.

Personally, it's the start of football season, and what could be more American than the New York Giants or Jets?
Big football games have me worried with all the people that will be there.JMO.

BTW, I LOVE football. It's a passion with me. GO LIONS!!!

My dad is flying from Newark to Raleigh in a few hours, and is flying back on 9/11.

Also, for how it could be "credible but not confirmed", my guess is that nothing is confirmed until it happens.

Oops! While I was posting a new thread, I see that there is one on this topic. Mods, please merge mine with this one. Thanks.

Terrorists do not want to surprise us; they want to terrorize us. The threat of an attack does that just as much as an actual attack.

LOL
Thank you rossva. This is my first opportunity to agree with one of your posts. :D

credible: it is feasible, and the source of information is worthy

specific: a site or sites have been identified

unconfirmed: we do not yet have this information from multiple sources

Something like that.

Thanks wfgodot. Richard Clarke (former counter-terrorism czar) was on GMA this morning and he explained it almost exactly as you did.

Even if it is unconfirmed at this point, I do hope people take it seriously, and not just blow it off simply because past terror warnings turned out not to happen.

While NY and DC would be serious targets, what I'm also concerned about is the element of surprise, Al Queda isn't stupid, they must know that all of the logical places will have heightened security. Will they claim to want to attack places in NY and DC yet the real plan is also to attack elsewhere across the country?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RayaCo
Back