Page 13 of 132 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 63 113 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 195 of 1972
  1. #181
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    6,719
    Sorry about my post. It didn't seem right for the mood of thread at the moment. A drawback of seeing one hundred posts per page is that I didn't realize the mood had become more somber. So sorry about that.

    I am glad golf delayed the Anthony BS for one more day. Thank God Sept. 11th can't be ruined by the A's. I would have totally lost it if their interview was the same day. Thankfully, it's now two days later. And I am not even going to think about the A's tomorrow. They will not overshadow such an important and tragic day in US history.


  2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Aedrys For This Useful Post:


  3. #182
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    CT/NC
    Posts
    21,162
    Quote Originally Posted by Aedrys View Post
    Sorry about my post. It didn't seem right for the mood of thread at the moment. A drawback of seeing one hundred posts per page is that I didn't realize the mood had become more somber. So sorry about that.

    I am glad golf delayed the Anthony BS for one more day. Thank God Sept. 11th can't be ruined by the A's. I would have totally lost it if their interview was the same day. Thankfully, it's now two days later. And I am not even going to think about the A's tomorrow. They will not overshadow such an important and tragic day in US history.
    No apologies needed Aedrys. I think the thread is headed in that direction because of the threats that are being watched right now. We usually don't hear until after something has happened so I think Homeland Security wants everyone to be on guard just in case. jmo


  4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to LambChop For This Useful Post:


  5. #183
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sacramento CA
    Posts
    6,819
    Quote Originally Posted by Well Done 99 View Post
    Seconded.

    Please feel assured, btw, that you have the thoughts of this household and many others we know here Downunder.

    Many of you may not be aware that our own Prime Minister was in Washington on that day, and we experienced it 'live' just as you did. To us, it may as well have been happening here.

    Having fought alongside you guys in WW2, Korea, Vietnam, Iraq 1 and 2, and now losing our boys girls in Afghanistan alongside your own, we like to lay claim that although small in number we are one of your closest and most familiar allies.

    Again, our thoughts are with those who died, lost loved ones or suffered at hand of the Devil on that day.
    A sad, sad day in history ... and one which changed the way we go about our daily lives .... but DID NOT defeat us.
    Thanks Well Done. And thanks for the reminder that Australia has sacrificed their own to fight for freedom and democracy around the world.It's good to have good friends.


  6. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to RANCH For This Useful Post:


  7. #184
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    1,180
    Quote Originally Posted by Aedrys View Post
    Sorry about my post. It didn't seem right for the mood of thread at the moment. A drawback of seeing one hundred posts per page is that I didn't realize the mood had become more somber. So sorry about that.

    I am glad golf delayed the Anthony BS for one more day. Thank God Sept. 11th can't be ruined by the A's. I would have totally lost it if their interview was the same day. Thankfully, it's now two days later. And I am not even going to think about the A's tomorrow. They will not overshadow such an important and tragic day in US history.
    LOL That's ok Aedrys. You're forgiven.
    (pronounce it 'paarrsties) More discussion on this tomorrow!
    fall seven times ... get up eight
    . . . . . . . . . . . . .


  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Well Done 99 For This Useful Post:


  9. #185
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,538
    http://youtu.be/nSz16ngdsG0

    My sentiments , beautifully sung


  10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SondraK For This Useful Post:


  11. #186
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,708
    Where were you?

    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW8puRqE4Sc"]When the World Stopped Turning: A 9/11 tribute - YouTube[/ame]

    I was in Winter Haven, FL where I had lived for 30 years. A little over a month earlier, I had been blessed with the birth of my first granddaughter. My kids lived in Tampa 50 miles away. After hearing about the first plane, I burned the roads up getting to them as quickly as possible.

    For most of the next 24 hours, I held my baby. I changed her diapers, fed her, bathed her, and stayed with her watching this horror unfold. That day I made the decision to sell my house and move closer to the kids in order to be a daily part of her life.

    That day changed my life. There would not likely have been a Concerned Papa at WS without it. It's all part of what I accepted that day as my responsibility.


    But there is nothing covered up that will not be revealed, and hidden that will not be known. Accordingly, whatever you have said in the dark will be heard in the light, and what you have whispered in the inner rooms will be proclaimed upon the housetops. Luke 12, 2-3




  12. #187
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,538
    Quote Originally Posted by Concerned Papa View Post
    Where were you?

    [

    I was in Winter Haven, FL where I had lived for 30 years. A little over a month earlier, I had been blessed with the birth of my first granddaughter. My kids lived in Tampa 50 miles away. After hearing about the first plane, I burned the roads up getting to them as quickly as possible.

    For most of the next 24 hours, I held my baby. I changed her diapers, fed her, bathed her, and stayed with her watching this horror unfold. That day I made the decision to sell my house and move closer to the kids in order to be a daily part of her life.

    That day changed my life. There would not likely have been a Concerned Papa at WS without it. It's all part of what I accepted that day as my responsibility.
    Your story is a perfect example of how something positive and good can result from something that is devastating and terribly evil. Your family and grandchild are very fortunate. Blessings to you all

    And of course, I am also glad we have "Concerned Pappa" here at WS. Your humor and gentle spirit show through daily and are appreciated.


  13. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to SondraK For This Useful Post:


  14. #188
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    1,180
    Quote Originally Posted by Concerned Papa View Post
    Where were you?

    I was in Winter Haven, FL where I had lived for 30 years. A little over a month earlier, I had been blessed with the birth of my first granddaughter. My kids lived in Tampa 50 miles away. After hearing about the first plane, I burned the roads up getting to them as quickly as possible.

    For most of the next 24 hours, I held my baby. I changed her diapers, fed her, bathed her, and stayed with her watching this horror unfold. That day I made the decision to sell my house and move closer to the kids in order to be a daily part of her life.

    That day changed my life. There would not likely have been a Concerned Papa at WS without it. It's all part of what I accepted that day as my responsibility.
    Wonderful post Concerned Papa.
    If I may respond to your question?
    I had just finished work that night and arrived home at just before midnight (our time) 9/11 to see the catastrophe unfolding. But I didn't believe it was real.
    I spent twenty years in the military myself but, to me, the absolute courage of the responders who we saw stand their ground in the face of terror itself was the most inspiring thing I have ever seen in my life.
    It was almost as though one could feel what those poor people escaping the carnage were feeling ... we were all in a way there ourselves.
    Needless to say, we spent a completely sleepless night and I will never forget the way I felt at that moment or the tears rolling down my wife's cheek.
    Last edited by Well Done 99; 09-10-2011 at 10:23 PM. Reason: grammar
    fall seven times ... get up eight
    . . . . . . . . . . . . .


  15. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Well Done 99 For This Useful Post:


  16. #189
    wonders's Avatar
    wonders is offline My opinion's may not alway's be right but they are mine and mine alone.
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Here There and Everywhere
    Posts
    3,353
    Quote Originally Posted by Well Done 99 View Post
    Seconded.

    Please feel assured, btw, that you have the thoughts of this household and many others we know here Downunder.

    Many of you may not be aware that our own Prime Minister was in Washington on that day, and we experienced it 'live' just as you did. To us, it may as well have been happening here.

    Having fought alongside you guys in WW2, Korea, Vietnam, Iraq 1 and 2, and now losing our boys girls in Afghanistan alongside your own, we like to lay claim that although small in number we are one of your closest and most familiar allies.

    Again, our thoughts are with those who died, lost loved ones or suffered at hand of the Devil on that day.
    A sad, sad day in history ... and one which changed the way we go about our daily lives .... but DID NOT defeat us.
    Thank you so much. Your post really touched me. I have always wanted to go downunder, it's my dream trip. I think those attacks affected most of the world. I cannot imagine life in war torn countries, and all the little kids who have to deal with it. It's senseless.
    A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty....


  17. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to wonders For This Useful Post:


  18. #190
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    1,510
    Quote Originally Posted by Well Done 99 View Post
    Wonderful post Concerned Papa.
    If I may respond to your question?
    I had just finished work that night and arrived home at just before midnight (our time) 9/11 to see the catastrophe unfolding. But I didn't believe it was real.
    I spent twenty years in the military myself but, to me, the absolute courage of the responders who we saw stand their ground in the face of terror itself was the most inspiring thing I have ever seen in my life.
    It was almost as though one could feel what those poor people escaping the carnage were feeling ... we were all in a way there ourselves.
    Needless to say, we spent a completely sleepless night and I will never forget the way I felt at that moment or the tear rolling down my wife's cheek.
    BBM ULBM. Thank you for your protection for twenty years. I wish I had a more eloquent way of saying it, but thank you.


  19. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to bayouland For This Useful Post:


  20. #191
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    10,571
    Quote Originally Posted by Concerned Papa View Post
    I, for one, would like to be able to use our Sidebar thread for the next 24 hours in remembrance of September 11, 2001.

    Somehow, I feel more compelled to talk with my friends about that day than Casey Anthony or her family.
    I had dropped my then four year old off at daycare and had a doctor appt in Philly. On the Schuykill Expressway I turned Howard Stern on and of course thought they were spoofing around..they kept talking about (a denigrating name for a Middle Eastern regarding headwear). By the time I got to Philly both towers had been hit. I rememberI kept looking upward...I was afraid they would come for Philly but having been in chronic pain for 9 months and had waited 6 weeks to be seen I was damned if I was turning around. Made it to the hospital and about peed when I heard the helicopter landing on the roof. In the waiting room they had it on the tv and were hurrying people through. The first tower must have fallen while I was walking in...the second when I was being seen because I had no idea they had fallen. I remember people saying something about a plane in western PA and the bridges were being closed to NJ. It took my 2 hours to go 6 blocks to get out of Philly that day...and I went straight back to my daughters daycare and got her.

    My uncle worked on Wall Street..he had to walk home to Staten Island. My cousin worked in Newark and could see every thing across the river. She worked with someone whose son worked in the towers and was standing in front of the TV footage screaming.

    I'll never forget that time....never.
    My Twitter handle is @Lovemypupper . I had to change it due to rabid Kate Gosselin fans. Seriously. I'm not kidding.


  21. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to strawberry For This Useful Post:


  22. #192
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    1,180
    Quote Originally Posted by bayouland View Post
    BBM ULBM. Thank you for your protection for twenty years. I wish I had a more eloquent way of saying it, but thank you.
    No thanks necessary bayouland. I've never done anything as brave as those guys on 9/11.
    As is Concerned Papa, I'm looking forward to hearing the accounts and memories of other WS'ers. It will certainly be interesting to know what we were all doing 'together' on that day.
    fall seven times ... get up eight
    . . . . . . . . . . . . .


  23. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Well Done 99 For This Useful Post:


  24. #193
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    In the sunshine.
    Posts
    9,876
    Reading these posts brings memories rushing back to me. I'll try to connect my post to the topic at hand in an effort to stay OT.

    On 9/11/01 I had a child that had been born 9 weeks early in the NICU of our hospital. I just went back and found my journal entries for that day and the next.... I thought I would share with you.

    9/11/01 Weight 3# 5 oz
    Mommy rushed to get here for your 8:30 AM feeding. I was able to watch your nurse Becky take your vitals and I got to change your diaper. i held you and rocked you in my arms until you fell asleep. When you are able to take 1700 cc's they will be able to move you our of your incubator.

    9/12/01
    This morning we got a call from your Doctor. You are not doing well and have some sort of infection. We have spent all day with you and hope to know what is going on soon. You are having a hard time breathing and the nurse said you may have to get some help with a respirator.

    9/13/01
    The doctors have you on heavy antibiotics. they have given you morphine to make you more comfortable. You are septic and have called in a specialist to identify what is making you so sick.



    The events of 9/11/01 impacted us greatly......I recall asking the NICU staff to explain their evacuation plan in case of an act of terrorism. I could not imagine life without our child.

    I wonder if KC ever had those feelings?


  25. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to sleutherontheside For This Useful Post:


  26. #194
    Sept 11....
    Went to work at the office. (At that time I was a nurse for 15 group homes for the mentally retarded). I was in my office and my DH called and wanted to know if I had my tv on. I told him I didn't and he told me to turn it on and started telling me about an airplane that hit the one of the twin towers. I was turning the tv on and about that time, the 2nd airplane hit. For a few moments I thought air traffic controllers were sending them the wrong way...dumbfounded is what I was feeling.

    We had to have a meeting at one of the homes with about 15 other people and when we arrived at the house we turned the tv on to find out what was going on and that is when the 1st tower fell. We couldn't finish the meeting. Reports of other airplanes hijacked and now I am scared, shocked and fearful. I don't really remember the rest of that day. I went into nurse mode, trying to prepare for any and everything. At that time, we didn't know what to expect or what was going to happen next.
    Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, wear the fancy jewelry and lingerie. Don't save it for a special occasion, Every Day Is Special.

    In My Humble Opinion and I Reserve
    The Right To Change It As Often As Neccessary.


  27. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Truthwillsetufree For This Useful Post:


  28. #195
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,569
    I can't talk about 9/11 so sorry to chg the subject but I want to confess that I think I might actually watch the Dr Phil interview....I have to find it on youtube or something tho so I don't give Dr Phil any ratings but this teaser has done its job and has me interested...

    http://www.etonline.com/tv/114171_Ca...ord/index.html


  29. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to GiantPickle For This Useful Post:


Page 13 of 132 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 63 113 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 2011.07.02 Sidebar Thread
    By ynotdivein in forum Caylee Anthony 2 years old
    Replies: 657
    Last Post: 07-03-2011, 05:23 AM
  2. Sidebar from 6/24 released
    By AlwaysShocked in forum Caylee Anthony 2 years old
    Replies: 140
    Last Post: 07-02-2011, 06:23 PM
  3. 2011.06.02 Sidebar Day Eight (incl Universal audio discussion)
    By beach in forum Caylee Anthony 2 years old
    Replies: 1848
    Last Post: 06-03-2011, 12:23 AM
  4. Where did the Sidebar go?
    By uklaw in forum Caylee Anthony 2 years old
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-10-2011, 07:12 PM
  5. 2011.05.02 Sidebar Thread
    By beach in forum Caylee Anthony 2 years old
    Replies: 304
    Last Post: 05-03-2011, 08:20 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •