GUILTY NC - Demytre Pendleton, 2, beaten to death, Charlotte, 9 Sept 2011

JeannieC

Reaction score
DEMYTRE RASHAAD PENDLETON, JR
Two years old
Died September 9, 2011 Victim of Child Abuse
Charlotte, NC Mecklenburg County

Police were called to Carolinas Medical Center on Aug. 24 after 2-year-old Demytre Rashaad Pendleton Jr. was admitted with a skull fracture. He also had several bruises, Charlotte-Mecklenburg police said. Investigators said the injuries were deemed to be possibly consistent with a fall, and detectives with the Youth Crimes Unit were assigned to investigate.
Demytre was treated and released from CMC, and the detectives continued their investigation, police said.

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/29133269/detail.html

Murder charges in toddler's death 2 weeks after skull fractured
Posted: Sep 09, 2011 2:36 PM EDT Updated: Sep 09, 2011 3:08 PM EDT

By Jeff Rivenbark, Web Content Producer - email

James Cleveland (Photo courtesy of the Mecklenburg County Jail)

CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) - A man is in jail charged in connection with the death of a toddler who died Friday morning after suffering a severe injury earlier this week.

James Gregory Cleveland, 25, is charged with felony child abuse inflicting serious bodily injury, and murder in relation to the death of 2-year-old Demytre Rashaad Pendleton Jr.

The child died Friday morning at Carolinas Medical Center-Main in Charlotte.

According to the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department, Demytre's mother took her son to Carolinas Medical Center-Pineville on Tuesday, Sept. 6. Due to the severity of the boy's injuries, he was airlifted to CMC-Main.

http://www.wbtv.com/story/15428149/man-charged-with-murder-in-toddlers-death?clienttype=printable

I want to know what these new injuries were. Basically, what I want to know is did this child die because the original injuries, ruled to be possibly consistent with a fall, were not treated properly, or were there really new injuries?

Something like this, all it takes is one doctor that realizes that they could potentially be responsible for the child's death to make that call and say with a straight face that the injuries on the child currently are not the injuries from a few days before. That's it. At that point, someone is going to be arrested.

Not that I have any proof that happened this time, and not that I have any desire to defend this man if he is involved in any way in the child's death. However, something doesn't seem right here.

DEMYTRE RASHAAD PENDLETON, JR
Two years old
Died September 9, 2011 Victim of Child Abuse
Charlotte, NC Mecklenburg County

Police were called to Carolinas Medical Center on Aug. 24 after 2-year-old Demytre Rashaad Pendleton Jr. was admitted with a skull fracture. He also had several bruises, Charlotte-Mecklenburg police said. Investigators said the injuries were deemed to be possibly consistent with a fall, and detectives with the Youth Crimes Unit were assigned to investigate.
Demytre was treated and released from CMC, and the detectives continued their investigation, police said.

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/29133269/detail.html

Thanks, JeannieC, for starting this thread with so many links. I saw an article in the N&O, IIRC, but certainly did not see the articles that you have cited. Good research on your part, J-C! (Although I have been reading the N&O since I was able to read -- many years! -- the paper does have a certain amount of tunnel-vision where the Charlotte area is concerned -- just in case you've never noticed.... But it's what we've got here, and I still like to read it...)

And so, we have another heart-breaker. Even if the injuries turn out to be "accidental," which doesn't look at all likely, someone needs to answer for this child's death. Rarely is a 2 yr old fine one minute & literally dead the next unless something awful happened in between -- sickness or injury.

So the articles say the boyfriend was baby-sitting. What about the mother? I didn't see her name mentioned anywhere -- maybe I missed it -- but I did read the articles twice, looking for it. Is she a minor? Will a 2nd arrest come later? This seems a bit odd to me. Maybe someone can fill these details in for me -- I feel a bit dull-witted not knowing more....
icon9.gif

Jeannie, you said you were familiar with the area -- is Waterford Lakes a "nice" section of town? Young families, young professionals, students, a "regular" middle class area? If you know.
icon7.gif

Anyway, a big thanks, J-C. Another quilt candidate, huh?
icon8.gif

I'm really confused as to why this baby was released back to the same environment where he was severely injured a couple of weeks ago?????

If the injuries treated a couple of weeks ago initiated investigation by LE, then wth was the baby released back into the same home????

Someone really dropped the ball on this little child.

Lonetraveler, that's my thought too. In one way or another, someone dropped the ball. Why was a two year old with a skull fracture released that quickly in the first place, whether it was accidental or not?

I'm really confused as to why this baby was released back to the same environment where he was severely injured a couple of weeks ago?????

If the injuries treated a couple of weeks ago initiated investigation by LE, then wth was the baby released back into the same home????

Exactly, one more time! It makes me sick. Another father in prison, mother hooking up with some guy, and the baby ends up dead! Forgive me if I sound angry. I AM!

I haven't been able to find anything about the mother. No a word! I just don't get it!

I just have to post one comment a reader made. DON'T BAN ME PLEASE!

Don't cut that hair. The boys will love that look in prison!

Thanks, JeannieC, for starting this thread with so many links. I saw an article in the N&O, IIRC, but certainly did not see the articles that you have cited. Good research on your part, J-C! (Although I have been reading the N&O since I was able to read -- many years! -- the paper does have a certain amount of tunnel-vision where the Charlotte area is concerned -- just in case you've never noticed.... But it's what we've got here, and I still like to read it...)

And so, we have another heart-breaker. Even if the injuries turn out to be "accidental," which doesn't look at all likely, someone needs to answer for this child's death. Rarely is a 2 yr old fine one minute & literally dead the next unless something awful happened in between -- sickness or injury.

So the articles say the boyfriend was baby-sitting. What about the mother? I didn't see her name mentioned anywhere -- maybe I missed it -- but I did read the articles twice, looking for it. Is she a minor? Will a 2nd arrest come later? This seems a bit odd to me. Maybe someone can fill these details in for me -- I feel a bit dull-witted not knowing more....
icon9.gif

Jeannie, you said you were familiar with the area -- is Waterford Lakes a "nice" section of town? Young families, young professionals, students, a "regular" middle class area? If you know.
icon7.gif

Anyway, a big thanks, J-C. Another quilt candidate, huh?
icon8.gif

Sadly my quilt, "The Circle of Fear" gets larger everyday. When will it end!

God only knows.

I want to know what these new injuries were. Basically, what I want to know is did this child die because the original injuries, ruled to be possibly consistent with a fall, were not treated properly, or were there really new injuries?

Something like this, all it takes is one doctor that realizes that they could potentially be responsible for the child's death to make that call and say with a straight face that the injuries on the child currently are not the injuries from a few days before. That's it. At that point, someone is going to be arrested.

Not that I have any proof that happened this time, and not that I have any desire to defend this man if he is involved in any way in the child's death. However, something doesn't seem right here.

Yes these were new injuries. He was airlifted due to the severity of the injuries...Note Injuries.

Previously he had only (not minimalizing that injury at all) a head injury.

Exactly, one more time! It makes me sick. Another father in prison, mother hooking up with some guy, and the baby ends up dead! Forgive me if I sound angry. I AM!

I haven't been able to find anything about the mother. No a word! I just don't get it!

I haven't saw where the dad was in prison, I must have missed that...I thought I had located the father on facebook...didn't look like he was in prison, but yes I agree...to many mothers leaving their children with men who are not the fathers. I love my son, but when he was 2 it was tough, no way would most people who are not blood related want to watch a child that isn't theirs at that age.

This article has a picture of DJ. His father lived in Rochester, NY.

He is precious! If anyone can copy his picture over I would appreciate it and I'm sure everyone else would too.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/09/10/2594465/man-charged-in-death-of-boy-2.html

Well, this is the 3rd time I have tried to respond to your post... The picture of that beautiful child finally brought tears and such an ache. Pure perfection he is. I just can't say more about him right now except to thank the angels for coming down to make him one of their own. They swept him up out of his pain and suffering to be one of them forever. Thinking that way is the only way I can cope with things such as this.

And thanks for the link about the apartments -- yes, they are nice and not cheap. Very clean and apparently in a good location.

But there is still that glaring hole in this thing thus far -- what about Mom???? Why no info or name unless she, as I said earlier, is a minor, or possibly in some kind of protection?? From whom?? It's just odd to me, but maybe we'll get a bit more info that will clear that up for us.

And yes, why did they let this beautiful boy be returned to his same location? Why no immediate visit from CPS? (I don't know how CPS operates, so I probably shouldn't have assumed that that would be done, but with him going back to the same environment, it just seems a bit dangerous for a defenseless human being, to me.)

My heart aches.
icon9.gif
And I'm madder than fire.
icon8.gif

I haven't saw where the dad was in prison, I must have missed that...I thought I had located the father on facebook...didn't look like he was in prison, but yes I agree...to many mothers leaving their children with men who are not the fathers. I love my son, but when he was 2 it was tough, no way would most people who are not blood related want to watch a child that isn't theirs at that age.

I think I got some misinformation. I looked it up and found his prison record, and now I can't find it.... I swear I saw his picture. Didn't post it because he is not involved in the death of his child. For the purpose of being truthful lets agree that it was my mistake and the father in not in prison.

I don't want to give out misinformation. According to a news article he is in Rochester, NY.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OwlEyes
Back