The Rope and the knots

Status
Not open for further replies.

elfie

Reaction score
Please feel free to discuss anything about the rope in this thread. Also please bring over your previous comments from the general threads!

Has it ever been stated if the rope had been seen by anyone else before this tragedy?? Who purchased it? Since the home was so close to the water I am assuming it would be very common in that area.

If this was a new rope, which I assume it must have been to have no other DNA on it, where the heck was the package it came in? If it sat on the garage shelf without a package, it should have been covered in dust and perhaps had some remnant of DNA from the person who took it out of the package and put it on the shelf.

I know we previously discussed how she used all the rope and had perfectly cut the correct lenght for tieing to the bed and her neck. I don't remember if anyone said there should have been any "fraying" pieces in the room. I also wonder did they analyze the 2 knives found in the room to see if they were really used to cut the rope?
Also, the knife on the outside ground...was it tested for DNA?

Score, I did bring up the missing rope fragments on the carpet in the guest bedroom. There should be red rope fibers wherever the rope was cut. If it was cut in the garage, I would expect to see them there. If the rope was cut in the guest bedroom, I would expect to see them there. I looked closely at all of the photos that LE released and could not find a single red rope fiber anywhere, not even on either of the knives. Odd, no?

If this was a new rope, which I assume it must have been to have no other DNA on it, where the heck was the package it came in? If it sat on the garage shelf without a package, it should have been covered in dust and perhaps had some remnant of DNA from the person who took it out of the package and put it on the shelf.

Good point about the dust, IWK! If the rope wasn't new, and had been stored on the garage shelf, dust would have collected on it.

Also - since the mansion is beachfront, if the rope had been on the garage shelf for an extended period of time, it would have salt & mineral residue on it from the ocean air. If the rope was used, it would have salt & mineral residue on it from the ocean water.

About the packaging materials - if the rope was brand new, where is the plastic or paper (with the label) that wrapped it? Where is the plastic spool it would have been coiled around, or the plastic ties that would have been wrapped around it to keep it tidy during shipping?

Good point about the dust, IWK! If the rope wasn't new, and had been stored on the garage shelf, dust would have collected on it.

Also - since the mansion is beachfront, if the rope had been on the garage shelf for an extended period of time, it would have salt & mineral residue on it from the ocean air. If the rope was used, it would have salt & mineral residue on it from the ocean water.

About the packaging materials - if the rope was brand new, where is the plastic or paper (with the label) that wrapped it? Where is the plastic spool it would have been coiled around, or the plastic ties that would have been wrapped around it to keep it tidy during shipping?

I also think the rope had to be new because they tested it and found no DNA on it rather than RN's. If it had been used then I presume the DNA from other people would have been on it. JS didn't know if they had that kind of rope in the house, and it appears LE wasn't at all curious where it came from (simply assuming it came from the garage because there is space where it could have been).

The rope. Is it the same thickness/pliability as the rope used in the video made by LE?

I also think the rope had to be new because they tested it and found no DNA on it rather than RN's. If it had been used then I presume the DNA from other people would have been on it. JS didn't know if they had that kind of rope in the house, and it appears LE wasn't at all curious where it came from (simply assuming it came from the garage because there is space where it could have been).

If the rope was not new, viable DNA may or may have not been on it (depending on when it might have been last handled, prior to RZ's death). DNA is very vulnerable to environmental conditions. Did LE test every millimeter of the rope - or just random segments of it - for DNA? Unless they tested every millimeter of it, they can't state with 100% accuracy that the rope contained no one else's DNA besides RZ's.

I agree with you about LE's lack of curiosity as to where the rope came from. I was astounded during the PC when it came out that there was an empty space on a garage shelf, therefore it was concluded the rope must have been on that shelf - especially since the homeowner (JS) couldn't say one way or another if the rope had been on that shelf.

If the rope was not new, viable DNA may or may have not been on it (depending on when it might have been last handled, prior to RZ's death). DNA is very vulnerable to environmental conditions. Did LE test every millimeter of the rope - or just random segments of it - for DNA? Unless they tested every millimeter of it, they can't state with 100% accuracy that the rope contained no one else's DNA besides RZ's.

I agree with you about LE's lack of curiosity as to where the rope came from. I was astounded during the PC when it came out that there was an empty space on a garage shelf, therefore it was concluded the rope must have been on that shelf - especially since the homeowner (JS) couldn't say one way or another if the rope had been on that shelf.

10 spots near the knots. They didn't even claim to have tested the end where Rebecca was cut down.

10 spots near the knots. They didn't even claim to have tested the end where Rebecca was cut down.

Thanks Sunnie!

10 spots. On a rope how long? 60 feet, IIRC?

I continue to be astounded.

I, too, am astounded at the casualness of LE admitting they don't know where the rope came from. I know, I know, there was "an empty spot in the garage". That's nothing when you're talking a possible murder weapon and the difference between murder and suicide. It's curious to me because, imo, the rope "evidence" (as far as it maybe coming from the garage) is no weaker than a lot of their evidence yet the rope is the only thing they said "possibly" about in the press conference. The murder weapon or at the very least the method of death, and they say "possibly".

Where is the bag it came in? Isn't it a problem if say, that's in the guest house? But they don't know. Perhaps it was removed from its original wrapping and stored in the plastic bag (later found in the guest room), which would explain the apparent lack of dust or dirt.

It also looks to be new from the photos. Shiny and new. If it was actually used for the purpose of which it was designed for, I don't think it would be looking so new.

It also looks to be new from the photos. Shiny and new. If it was actually used for the purpose of which it was designed for, I don't think it would be looking so new.

I agree - when I look @ close-ups of the rope, it looks brand spanking new. There doesn't appear to be a speck of dirt on it.

So where is the packaging material? LE never said word one about that. I wonder if they even looked for the packaging material. If the rope is brand new - where was it purchased from & who purchased it & when?

Oh, but they claim their findings are "ironclad". Mmmm hmmm.

Score, I did bring up the missing rope fragments on the carpet in the guest bedroom. There should be red rope fibers wherever the rope was cut. If it was cut in the garage, I would expect to see them there. If the rope was cut in the guest bedroom, I would expect to see them there. I looked closely at all of the photos that LE released and could not find a single red rope fiber anywhere, not even on either of the knives. Odd, no?

Thanks, Toris. Yes, red fibers should really show up on the gray carpet but like you, I see no fibers. It doesn't even looked like the knives were used....seems so staged.

The thing about cutting rope with a knife (as opposed to scissors) is that I imagine some amount of sawing is necessary, which should produce fibers! I realize we aren't talking a very thick rope here, but presumably it's strong given its intended use and it wouldn't just break in half at the touch of a knife. There had to be some amount of sawing action, so where are those fibers? If it was cut with those knives at all.

I posted about the lack of fibers on the carpet or on the knives, too. IMO it is a glaring clue. LE did not even mention the lack of rope fibers.

If there were no fibers in the room, then it seems to me LE would search for fibers elsewhere in the house or garage (where the rope was supposedly stored). I agree with IWK about the rope having dust if it were stored in the garage and not used for some time. Did it have residue of salt water? It did appear new to me. Was there discarded packaging? My guess is it was brought to the house, brand new and out of the packaging.

Were the knives used to cur the rope serated? I would think you would need a serated knife. If so were fibers on the floor ? It could not have been a clean cut.

Was this put into evidence?

Same with when she was cut down.

Regarding the rope also, since they were trying to determine if it was a homicide or suicide, wouldn't they have tried to locate the make and model of the rope, along with what stores sold it and who had recently purchased that particular brand?

Did they pursue this avenue? If yes, what were their findings.

If the 3 knives were not similar, did they examine each knife with the cuts to see if they matched up?

For instance, when she was cut down, did it match up to that knife?

If testing showed they were all cut from the same knife then we surely don't have a suicide folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail