WalMart sued in prune juice explosion

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Elderly man injured after bottle of prune juice 'exploded shooting plastic into his left eye' sues Walmart
Oscar Weller, an 83-year-old pensioner from Grants Pass, Southern Oregon, bought a bottle of the healthy beverage from the supermarket in February 2010 and put it in the fridge.

The following Sunday morning he grabbed the plastic bottle out of the fridge to pour himself a glass of juice.

But as he held the plastic bottle with the cap down, 'the bottle exploded through its bottom, sending prune juice and shards of plastic into his face and eyes,' according to a lawsuit filed this week in Medford's U.S. District Court.
---
He alleges that the prune juice fermented inside a defective bottle, causing an explosion that shot plastic into his left eye. He also claims the explosion caused him to fall on the floor and hurt his hand.
---
more, plus picture, at Daily Mail link above

OK, I will ask. Is prune juice explosive? Apple juice? Orange juice? The pics look terrible. I just never dreamed a bottle of prune juice might explode on me.:waitasec:. I definately don't see where Walmart would be liable at all.

The bottle does look defective, but what caused the defect? Out of date product? The plastic bottle manufacturer? Did the guy who bought the bottle leave it in a hot car for an extended period of time?

On one had I don't think Walmart would be liable and if the defect was from the plastic bottle manufacturer I don't see how the juice company would be liable either. Unless the liability falls with QC somewhere with all three.

As a consumer, I have learnt to check the merchandise I am purchasing whether it be from a discount store like Walmart, or a full priced store. It's amazing in a poor ecomony what I see left on shelves available for sale. Especially with food and drink items.

Yes, the pictures look terrible and I am glad he wasn't hurt worse.

What I don't get is, WHY was he holding this bottle with the cap pointing downward in the first place?

A bottle of anything placed upside down should not became a weapon.

And I'm not saying it should. But that aspect of the story causes me to wonder if perhaps this gentleman had stored the bottle improperly, such as putting it in the freezer.

My guess would be that he was shaking it or even just turning it down and up to mix it. Prune juice does separate.

My best wishes to him, I hope he makes a full recovery.

Having said that, this story could spawn some very bad jokes.

The thread title made me look...Prune juice explosion? Ok, I'll stop right now...

I do hope he feels better...

Oh boy, did I ever think this thread was going to be about something else, lol.

I have seen ketchup bottles explode due to fermentation, this was way back in the restaurant days. Anything that can ferment in the bottle can explode.

What a smelly mess though, yuck!

I hope the man is okay. Not sure how the law suit will go, seems a bit of a tricky situation.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amberraff
Back