2 American Hostages to be Freed from Iran!

MrsG728

Reaction score
I could not find the original post for this anywhere, so I created a new thread.
:great:If this all works out as promised, this is great news!!!!!! As they did for their companion, Sara Shourd, Iran has agreed to a bail/release deal!

TEHRAN, Iran (AP) — An Iranian court Tuesday set bail of $500,000 each for two American men arrested more than two years ago and convicted on spy-related charges, clearing the way for their release a year after a similar bail-for-freedom arrangement for the third member of the group, their defense attorney said.
Lawyer Masoud Shafiei said the court would begin the process to free Shane Bauer and Josh Fattal after payment of the bail, which must be arranged through third parties because of U.S. economic sanctions on Iran. But the timing of the court's decision is similar to last year's bail deal mediated by the Gulf state of Oman that freed a third American, Sarah Shourd.

More at:
http://news.yahoo.com/lawyer-iran-sets-bail-2-jailed-americans-104852501.html

This is great news, but I am really confused by how things have happened in this story and am hoping someone can help me understand!! It's probably just because it's a majorly different kind of justice system. But if I am correct, and based on my understanding of the U.S. justice system, "bail" is when you pay some money and put up some assets as collateral after you have been arrested, but before you have been tried, so that you can leave the jail but the court can have some assurance that you won't "skip town" and will actually show up for your trial/hearing/whatever. But these hikers were already convicted of spying by Iran! So how does "bail" come into the picture now?? Does this mean their conviction is reversed, or their sentence is shortened to time served? Does this mean they can come home for good, or could they potentially be subject to further legal proceedings in Iran??

I mean, from a big-picture standpoint, I get that Iran seems to be playing games for diplomatic reasons ... but I'm just very curious about how the system is working here. If anyone can shed some light I would be very appreciative, because the news stories don't seem to be addressing how this is actually working. TIA!

Oh thank goodness :) I wish them the best, and hope they will find their way back into their interrupted lives quickly :)

ETA: and write a book and do interviews and make a buttload of money :D

:woohoo:
And indeed, they are free.

I'm infuiated and appalled at the comments that I saw regarding this news on MSN under the story. People are really heartless sometimes :(

Freed US hikers spend 1st day of freedom secluded with kin
Americans, who were held more than 2 years in Iran over spying claims, remain in Oman

Josh Fattal and Shane Bauer arrived Wednesday in Oman under a $1 million bail-for-freedom deal and were embraced by relatives. Also on hand was Sarah Shourd, who was freed by Iran last year.

It was a joyful reunion in the Gulf state of Oman and the families called it "the best day of our lives." President Barack Obama said the men's release was "wonderful news."

story and video at link
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44623107/ns/world_news-mideast_n_africa/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken