Coffee made from cat droppings

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
A Dutch online shop is selling coffee made from cat droppings - for £14 an ounce.

Kopi Luwak, or civet cat coffee, is produced by the civet cat in Sumatra, reports Dagblad van het Noorden.

It eats ripe coffee beans which are then hand-picked from its droppings by local people.

The beans are of the highest quality but the work is so intensive that only 500kg is made each year.

Dutch connoisseur Bob Dam, from Groningen, said the coffee has a fine chocolate aroma which tastes delicious at the back of the throat.

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1153554.html?menu=

I bet this is wonderful with a scoop of "kitty litter cake" ROFL

Timex said:
I bet this is wonderful with a scoop of "kitty litter cake" ROFL
OL.. oh Yum, timex.. thanks for suggesting that :eek:

I just happen to be having a cup of coffee and I'm looking at my cat. Setting coffee down now. :sick:

Some of you may be put off by this story, thinking "How do I know it was really a civet that pooped my coffee and not just somebody's pet tabby? That would be gross."

If so, you'll be relieved to know that there is now a test to confirm the excrement's civet origins:
Scientists have found what they call a "metabolic fingerprint" that allows them to verify "real Kopi Luwak" (Indonesian for "civet coffee") using metabolomics technology, Eiichiro Fukusaki, a corresponding author of the study, says in an e-mail. The unique chemical fingerprint reflects higher levels of citric acid and malic acid as well as a certain inositol/pyroglutamic acid ratio.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/09/07/civet-coffee-authentication/2686427/

This isn't new. I saw it on TV at least ten years ago. Still , no way!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back