GUILTY WA - Derron Alexis & Mary Mazalic for starving, abusing 10yo girl, Mukilteo, 2011

Missizzy

Reaction score
This crime is as old as time, just like childhood sexual abuse yet the stories never fail to bring me to tears. I've long held a curiosity about just what it is in the human psyche that causes a person to starve a child. Is it jealousy, rage, inner conflict, a repeat of abuse long ago meted out to the parent? What is the true root of scapegoating and how can we, as a society, prevent it?

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20110915/NEWS01/709159830/-1/news01

$500,000 bail for suspect in assault of child

A judge on Thursday set bail at $500,000 for a Mukilteo woman accused of assaulting a 10-year-old girl and depriving the underweight child of food. Mary Mazalic, 34, also was prohibited from being around children.
Mazalic is being held on suspicion of first degree assault of a child. She was arrested Wednesday for investigation of assaulting and mistreating the girl who was emaciated when she was removed from her home in August.

At the time, the girl weighed 51 pounds, about two-thirds the weight of a healthy child her age. She spent about two weeks in an Everett hospital being treated for severe malnutrition. She also had multiple bruises, abrasions and scars all over her body...."

and

"....Doctors told investigators that the girl had cigarette burns on her wrist and the tops of her feet. Marks all over her stomach and chest were likely from some sort of cord, according to court records. The girl also had a kidney infection. Doctors concluded that the girl likely was deprived of food and water. The girl has gained about 20 pounds since she was removed from the home a month ago, Paul said.

The girl initially told authorities that she was fed three meals a day and was treated well. She later told a social worker that if she talked, she was told that her brothers would be taken away from her and separated...."

more at link

I wonder why the girls brother is not being charged?

In 2009 a boy 16 asked to remain in juvie lockup instead of being sent back to the couple. Despite the boys protests he was sent back.

What?

Thanks to the store owner for reporting this to the authorities. He might have just saved the life of this little angel.

I am literally sick
I am so glad she was found in time and I hope she lives the rest of her life with 'good' people .
Starvation always seem to be done by a woman ..is it control ? I am sitting here in tears that people really do this every day to children .

I hope that this young girl is placed in a home where she will be given the love and care she deserves. The evil abusive woman should be required to spend the entire thirty years behind bars, no parole. Nothing will make that evil person fit to rejoin society.
Hopefully other prisoners will heap attention upon the evil woman, make her feel welcome.

Thought I would dig this old thread up for an update:
http://www.komonews.com/news/local/...rs-for-abusing-starving-sister-234132451.html

A Snohomish County jury had convicted Derron Alexis of criminal mistreatment and unlawful imprisonment. His former girlfriend, Mary Mazalic, was sentenced earlier to 30 years in prison on her conviction in the case.

The Daily Herald reports Alexis maintained he was never responsible for the young girl and didn't want her when his mother - the girl's adoptive parent - sent her to stay with him.

Here is the update for those who asked why the brother was not charged.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back