1380 users online (249 members and 1131 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    Has it been said for sure that bodies were found inside burlap bags? I thought early on, that a poster provided news quotes about bodies being "wrapped" in burlap. Burlap is a good crafting material for things such as table cloths, place mats, etc. and can be bought at stores that sell sewing materials. The killer could also have/had a wife who crafts or has old rolls of such things. I posted awhile back that it could also have been chosen as something that would blend in with sand in color.

Quote Originally Posted by txsvicki View Post
    Has it been said for sure that bodies were found inside burlap bags? I thought early on, that a poster provided news quotes about bodies being "wrapped" in burlap. Burlap is a good crafting material for things such as table cloths, place mats, etc. and can be bought at stores that sell sewing materials. The killer could also have/had a wife who crafts or has old rolls of such things. I posted awhile back that it could also have been chosen as something that would blend in with sand in color.
    Sacks:

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/refere...ler/index.html

Thanks for the link, dc! Lot's of helpful info there.

~snipped~

As part of his job or interests, experts speculate that the killer had access to, or a stockpile of, burlap sacks. Several of the women’s remains were wrapped in burlap sacks, and experts say he could have used them because they were part of his killing ritual or because they were the easiest cover he could find. Burlap, however, is no longer common, and it might be easier to trace than a plastic bag. “To me, it takes away from his forensic sophistication and criminal sophistication and adds to the possibility that he is more interested in this ritual aspect,” said Mr. Clemente.

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/refere...ler/index.html

Hopefully the burlap will have some forensic evidence to help track this SK. One thing about burlap is everything sticks to it.....hair, thread, carpet fibers, pet hair, etc. It also holds scents as well. JMO, as I use a burlap sack on the floor in my workspace when I sew and do arts and crafts. The dogs love rolling on it and resting on it, too. It is great because since everything clings to it, clean up is easier and I just shake it off afterwards.

In defense of burlap, there are many more productive uses for it than disposing of bodies. Hopefully the most productive of it's uses will help catch a killer!

MOO

wm
    ...and be sure your sin will find you out.

Numbers,32:23

The article claims that Joel Rifkin, serial killer, believes the person is a landscaper, contractor, or fisherman. Someone who can carry burlap sacks without raising suspicion. What happened to profilers. Now they are getting the opinions of killers for tv shows and interviews.

Hi txsvicki!

Thanks for the info about burlap and it's relationship to crafts. Do you know if burlap can be found in fabric stores?

slim

Oops! I just re-read your post and you mentioned where burlap can be bought.
    Last edited by Dwntwnslim; 02-19-2012 at 01:11 AM. Reason: Add 2 Sentences

Quote Originally Posted by Dwntwnslim View Post
    Hi txsvicki!

Thanks for the info about burlap and it's relationship to crafts. Do you know if burlap can be found in fabric stores?

slim

Oops! I just re-read your post and you mentioned where burlap can be bought.
    I'm not totally positive, but the Walmart lady said that it is at fabric stores. I saw several crafting blogs devoted to burlap and was looking for some to make a rag throw rug.

Quote Originally Posted by txsvicki View Post
    I'm not totally positive, but the Walmart lady said that it is at fabric stores. I saw several crafting blogs devoted to burlap and was looking for some to make a rag throw rug.

Hi Txsvicki, I have bought colored burlap at the fabric store for matting artwork.

BTW, OT, but did you see that Elizabeth Smart got married today? I remember the days when we cut teeth on her case. I was always guided by your posts then as I was just a newbie from About.com. What a day when she was found!!!

SmoothOperator is offline Sadly what connects all these puzzles is that there's a victim@the heart of each
    Yep burlap is cheap as cheap can get and literally can be purchased in any town or city around the country... I personally have bought literal bolts/rolls of it from Hancock Fabrics.. In Store there are literally a hundred bolts available on any given day and in any color imaginable.. Khaki, tan, sand colored... To darker variations of brown.. To multi shades of camo colored burlap..

And did I mention how very dirt cheap.. It's so very far from being rare even in slightest..

I wonder what they can tell about the burlap. Was it cut from a bolt or was it a premade sack or was it a home made sack. You generally can tell if it was made on a typical sewing machine. If it was made on a serger well then that will be a bit harder to tell but, comparing it to purchased ones and a sample home made serger will do it.
    and if it is made with a serger at home, if it is a sack, that will speak volumes of a professional or serious sewer of things...

burlap

Did the police say whether the burlap was in sheets or bags? There is a bulk burlap manufacturer, NYP Burlap. They are in Nassau County. Landscapers use sheet burlap. Horse feed used to come in burlap. Don't know if they still do. Was there3 any printing on the burlap?

Quote Originally Posted by themare View Post
    Did the police say whether the burlap was in sheets or bags? There is a bulk burlap manufacturer, NYP Burlap. They are in Nassau County. Landscapers use sheet burlap. Horse feed used to come in burlap. Don't know if they still do. Was there3 any printing on the burlap?
    Welcome to WS, themare!

The burlap sack that I have has a coffee co. stamp on it. I sure wish we knew if the GB4 were wrapped in burlap sheets on in sacks. There has been confusion from the conflicting news reports about this and no confirmation one way or the other by LE.
    MOO

wm
    ...and be sure your sin will find you out.

Numbers,32:23

For all we know, two bags were used...one for the top and on to cover the bottom half of the woman. Then just tie then closed with something like rope. But, bolts of burlap seems more likely or more practical.

Burlap - whenever we plant trees, the root balls are contained in a burlap sack that must first be removed. And it's a sack, not a flat section.

Quote Originally Posted by dc20015 View Post
    Thanks Dc, I've read the NYTimes enough to pretty well trust what they print. Their articles are so thorough and well researched - wonderful writers too. Ya Ya

IMO they got good info on burlap sacks.

There are burlap bags at the feed store that feed is stored/sold in. I've also seen farm workers pick crops like corn and put the ears (or whatever it is) in burlap bags.

Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast