TX TX - Two women named Mary Morris slain, Harris County, 12 & 15 Oct 2000

SuziQ

Former Member
Reaction score
Two women who lived in the same city and shared the same name never met, but they suffered the same violent end.
Both Houston women were slain and left dead in their cars, just three days apart in October 2000, in different parts of Harris County, Texas. Neither woman was robbed and police have still not cracked either case.
The victims' families fear that the fact that both women were named Mary Morris may have sealed their fates. Though police say they have no evidence to support the theory, the families are speculating that a sloppy hit man hired to kill one of them may have initially killed the wrong woman.

More:
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=125738&page=1

wow, how very "terminator"

How sad, that all thse years later, we still have no clue what or who was the driving force behind these killings. Must be so hard for the families to never have the closure of at least knowing the whos and the whys.

Bumping.

I just listened to a podcast on this case. I am surprised it isn't more well known. I have lived in the Houston area for ten years and have not heard of it.

It seems absurd to think the two cases are not somehow connected. Yes, Houston is a large city, but two women who look similar and share the same name being murdered in their cars within days of each other??

As crazy at it may be, I tend to think the botched "hit" theory is probably on track. The husband of the second Mary definitely seems suspicious; By all accounts, the first Mary Morris had no enemies and was in a very happy marriage. The second Mary, however, was reportedly in a troubled marriage and also was supposedly being bothered by a co-worker. To add to the mystery of the second Mary, her husband made a phone call to her cell phone two hours AFTER her murder (they know she was already dead at this point because she made a chilling 911 call that has never been released) and spoke to someone for four minutes. The husband claims this much be a glitch with the phone company. Also, he initially reported that a ring that she always wore (unclear if it is her wedding ring) was taken when she was murdered, but a friend noticed the husband's daughter wearing the ring months after the murder. He claims they found in the house and he just forgot to inform police. Because of these strange facts, it is theorized that the second Mary's husband hired a hit man and that he killed the first Mary by mistake, a claim he obviously denies. He has never been charged, as he lawyered up and has not been very forthcoming speaking to police.

Strange case; even stranger that nobody saw anything in either case, as they both happened in pretty well populated areas in broad daylight. I also wonder why the second Mary's 911 call has never been released...

You can't get good help these days, even Hit Men can't seem to get it right the first time.
Coincidences do happen and even the most unlikely one can not be statistically ruled out. Extremely unlikely is not "impossible". Still some occurrences are so beyond the "reasonably possible" that they must be rejected.

Houston is a large Metro area with it's share of crime. But, most murder victims come from predictable high risk demographics. It would be highly unusual for two women, from middle class backgrounds who appear to engage in no "high risk" activities, to be found murdered in their car within a few days of each other. Now, compound that with the chance that both of these women would have the same name. It's off the charts.

I have no idea how much Hit Men charge nowadays, even the minimally competent ones. I will venture to guess that whatever it costs, it is beyond the means of some marginally employed nurse who hates his boss. That would be a strictly "do it yourself" capper. And, no matter how incompetent the execution, he would, at least, get the target right the first time.

The only realistic explanation is the hit man who got it wrong the first time but got it right the next time.

The Mary Morris murders remains a very interesting case. Tonight on my podcast, Criminology, we will drop an episode about the case, and Mary Henderson Morris's Daughter, Marilyn is our guest. She takes us on a back end tour of what happened, how it played out, the bizarre aftermath, and shares her suspicions with us. You can listen wherever you listen to podcasts, or here-
Criminology

Most interesting of the Season 12 episodes, I think.

This is a really interesting case. I noticed in my reading of the Houston Chronicle piece that the only footage of Bank Mary on the morning that she died was "destroyed". Do we know anything about who destroyed it or why?

This is a really interesting case. I noticed in my reading of the Houston Chronicle piece that the only footage of Bank Mary on the morning that she died was "destroyed". Do we know anything about who destroyed it or why?

Back then, it was commonplace for businesses to use analog security systems to copy over videotapes to reduce costs. For example, a business may use one tape for Mondays, another for Tuesdays, etc. It's a likely reason, but to use the word "destroyed" does implicate actual disassembly or termination of the recording media.

Edit: Podcast The Trail Went Cold used the phrase "taped over" so it could be likely it was reused.
Edit #2: Link: The Trail Went Cold – Episode 110 – The Mary Morris Murders – The Trail Went Cold

Last edited:
The Story Of The Careless Hitman Who Killed Two Women Named Mary Morris
By William DeLong
Published January 4, 2018
Updated January 5, 2018

In a city of two million people, two women who shared the name of Mary Morris were murdered within just a few days of each other. Coincidence or is something more sinister at play?

morris-murders.jpg

Mary Lou Morris (left) and Mary McGinnis Morris (right).

On Oct. 12, 2000, bank loan officer Mary Lou Morris left her suburban Houston home and went to work. She never arrived at the office. Her husband tried to contact her all day. By 5 p.m., he had reported the 48-year-old as missing.

An ATV rider found Morris’ body later that evening in her car along a remote stretch of road three miles from her house. Her body was burned so badly that forensic scientists needed tooth fragments to identify her. No one robbed the devoted wife and mother, and there was no motive nor an explanation for her murder.

Everyone who knew the bank loan officer said she was friendly and outgoing. She had no enemies.

Three days later another Mary Morris suffered a violent end. Like the previous killing, 39-year-old Mary McGinnis Morris died in her car in a remote area a few miles from her home. She even looked like the other Mary Morris. Unlike the other murder, this one had two suspects.

On the afternoon of Oct. 16, 2000, clinic nurse Mary McGinnis Morris became panicked by someone she saw at a drugstore on the way home from work. She made a frantic 911 call, during which the victim was beaten to death and then shot. Authorities found her body in her vehicle along a remote stretch of road.

In the weeks leading up to the murder of Mary McGinnis Morris, she and her husband were having marital difficulties. In addition to that, a new coworker at the clinic, a male nurse, began to creep her out. At one point, she found her stuff re-arranged and a note that said “Death to her” on her desk. Morris assumed her coworker marked her for death because he was recently fired...

Shaken, the nurse asked her husband for a gun for protection. Mike Morris showed her how to shoot the gun in case anything happened. His training did her little good. The murderer made her death appear as if it was a suicide, but authorities knew better. Investigators observed telltale signs of struggle as if Mary McGinnis Morris tried to fend off her assailant.

Police interviewed both the male coworker and Mike Morris in the death of the second Mary Morris. The male coworker was a suspect because he seemed to blame the woman for his firing and tried to discredit her. Mike Morris was also a suspect because of how he acted after detectives contacted him...

Mike Morris told police he was at the movies with his daughter during his wife’s murder. He refused to take a polygraph test to back up his story and he wouldn’t let police interview his daughter. Shortly after his wife’s murder, he hired an attorney. The nurse had a life insurance policy worth $700,000 at the time of her death.

There were also two suspicious phone calls that lend credence to a hit gone wrong with the first murder. Mike Morris made a four-minute call shortly before his wife’s murder. He claimed he was calling her cell phone to try to get a hold of her, but she never answered.

Authorities believe he was calling the hitman he hired to kill her, and the man was supposed to answer the woman’s cellphone. Mike Morris claimed the phone company made a mistake with the length of the call.

Another phone call happened in between both murders. Someone allegedly called the Houston Chronicle to say the murder of the first Mary Morris was a mistake. No one knows who made that phone call...

The first Mary Morris had her wedding ring removed from her finger. That’s one way a hitman proves to his employer that he finished the job. Detectives also noted that both murderers attempted to cover up the crime scenes.

The first crime scene was a burned-out car, while someone made the second to look like a suicide. Both murders happened in remote locations so there would be no witnesses.

Despite the circumstantial evidence against two people with regards to the second murder, no one has been charged in either crime nearly 20 years later. Police could find no direct evidence linking the two murders. Legally, local authorities call the murders of two people with the same name within three days of each other a coincidence.

Jay Morris, the husband of Mary Lou Morris, says the odds of two people named Mary Morris killed in the same city (population: two million in 2000) within a few days of each other are astronomical. Unfortunately, a lack of evidence, no confession, and lack of a murder weapon doomed both cases in a court of law...

LINK:

How A Careless Hitman Murdered Two Women With The Same Name

Bumping.

I just listened to a podcast on this case. I am surprised it isn't more well known. I have lived in the Houston area for ten years and have not heard of it.

It seems absurd to think the two cases are not somehow connected. Yes, Houston is a large city, but two women who look similar and share the same name being murdered in their cars within days of each other??

As crazy at it may be, I tend to think the botched "hit" theory is probably on track. The husband of the second Mary definitely seems suspicious; By all accounts, the first Mary Morris had no enemies and was in a very happy marriage. The second Mary, however, was reportedly in a troubled marriage and also was supposedly being bothered by a co-worker. To add to the mystery of the second Mary, her husband made a phone call to her cell phone two hours AFTER her murder (they know she was already dead at this point because she made a chilling 911 call that has never been released) and spoke to someone for four minutes. The husband claims this much be a glitch with the phone company. Also, he initially reported that a ring that she always wore (unclear if it is her wedding ring) was taken when she was murdered, but a friend noticed the husband's daughter wearing the ring months after the murder. He claims they found in the house and he just forgot to inform police. Because of these strange facts, it is theorized that the second Mary's husband hired a hit man and that he killed the first Mary by mistake, a claim he obviously denies. He has never been charged, as he lawyered up and has not been very forthcoming speaking to police.

Strange case; even stranger that nobody saw anything in either case, as they both happened in pretty well populated areas in broad daylight. I also wonder why the second Mary's 911 call has never been released...
They address that on Unsolved Mysteries.
Mary Lou & Mary Mcginnis Morris - Unsolved Mysteries

We’re not releasing the content of the tape. It covers the attack that happened to Mary. And anybody that’s ever heard that tape has just had their blood chilled listening to it. It’s a very chilling, disturbing call.”

Omg, I just saw the comments under the unsolved mystery article. The sixth one down by ‘anonymous’, but says her name is J. Says MM had found child *advertiser censored* on her husbands computer and planned to divorce him. Hmmm.... Of course, who knows if it’s legit. :/

Also someone claiming To be the POI / coworker that MM was having problems with, has made several comments. Who knows.....

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back