863 users online (108 members and 755 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angel Food Ministries Shutting down

I just read about this this morning, I know several people who have gotten this food - too bad for those who got help from this program. Spoiled by greed apparently.

Angel Food Ministries is going out of business after 17 years of providing discounted groceries to needy families across the country, citing the economic downturn affecting many of the organization's customers as its downfall.

Angel Food was started in 1994 by pastors Joe and Linda Wingo with 34 families in Monroe, Ga. At its height, the organization grew through a network of over 5,000 churches to feed more than 500,000 families a month in 45 states, including Georgia, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Illinois, New Jersey, California, Kentucky and Indiana.

The ministry ran into trouble in 2009 when the FBI searched its offices and questions were raised about Angel Food's finances. Board members and former employers also filed a lawsuit accusing the leadership of using the nonprofit as a moneymaking venture.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...t_of_business/

This is sad, this program helped a lot of people who were in need. Now due to apparent greed of those behind the program, it will help no more.
    Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

mni wiconi - Lakota for Water is Life.

Oh, no. Greed ruins everything.
    If there is anything worse than the sandwiches, it is the sausages which sit next to them. Joyless tubes, full of gristle, floating in a sea of something hot and sad, stuck with a plastic pin in the shape of a chef’s hat: A memorial, one feels, for some chef who hated the world, and died, forgotten and alone among his cats on a back stair in Stepney. – Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by tlcox View Post
    This is sad, this program helped a lot of people who were in need. Now due to apparent greed of those behind the program, it will help no more.
    The article said the reason behind the closure was the downturn in orders?

Wow ...I bought a package from them once .
    It isn't the type of thing that you can pick and choose what is in your order and there are a variety of packages and prices .
    This was before my surgeries and I volunteered at a food bank . Most people don't or didn't realize there are no income guidelines and it was open for anyone as you pay for your food,
    Ours was ok but there were quite a few things in it my kids didn't like BUT my kids are very,very,very fussy eatters .
    "Don't pee on my head and tell me it's raining" ~Judge Judy

Revenge is beneath me , but accidents DO happen .

Quote Originally Posted by Silkprint View Post
    Wow ...I bought a package from them once .
    It isn't the type of thing that you can pick and choose what is in your order and there are a variety of packages and prices .
    This was before my surgeries and I volunteered at a food bank . Most people don't or didn't realize there are no income guidelines and it was open for anyone as you pay for your food,
    Ours was ok but there were quite a few things in it my kids didn't like BUT my kids are very,very,very fussy eatters .
    I looked into it a couple of times, since I have a large family, but the majority of the food was prepackaged junk that we don't eat. The fresh stuff, I could get cheaper/better elsewhere. So it would not have been beneficial for us. It is possible that over time, people were just unhappy with the quality/actual cost of the food, and stopped buying.

AWW when I was let go from my finance job in 2007, we used them for close to 6 months. They helped keep a roof over my head with the money I saved and even food we didn't like was better than none. This makes me very sad.
    Find Brian Shaffer!!
    www.findbrianshaffer.com

Janet Christiansen, Kaiden, and Family, justice WILL prevail!

JUSTICE FOR AMBER!

~*Cancel my subscription, I'm THROUGH with your issues*~

I read here it was closed due to the owners paying themselves a salary of 500,000. It is so sad to lose such a great program. I think it is horrible to cheat people

Goz

I had a friend who used them for several months. It was such a brilliant concept and so useful for those just over the line from being able to receive help with food.

email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

I'm so sad to hear this. I saw a news blip the other day that said the povery rate here in the USA is now at 15.1%.

The majority of those are children. The said the scientific term for it is food insecurity. That you might have enough food today but you don't know if you will have food tomorrow.

I knew people that used this program. It really helped them in their time of need.

It worries me for all the little babies that might go hungry now that this resource has been taken away.

Anyone remember the food stockpile program that gave away cheese and butter and other items? I wish that were available now for some people. It was govn. program. I had a friend that I would drive down so she could pick hers up because she had no car.

According to the site there are some of the vendors and some people that angel ministries employed trying to pull something together. I hope it works!
    Find Brian Shaffer!!
    www.findbrianshaffer.com

Janet Christiansen, Kaiden, and Family, justice WILL prevail!

JUSTICE FOR AMBER!

~*Cancel my subscription, I'm THROUGH with your issues*~

When my DH lost his job, and I made too much for food stamps (2000.00 a month, and our rent was 1200.00, go figure) I used Angel Food...and it kept my family fed. Just a couple of days ago a friend asked for their name from me to give to her daughter and grandkids. Too bad. Hopefully someone else will step up.
    Proud WS N-LIB

I checked Angel Food Ministries a few times, but most of the packages were items we'd usually never purchase.

I discovered the wonders of Aldi Grocery stores a few years back and wondered why it took me so long to start shopping there. They don't offer as much of a selection as the full grocers but they do offer a lot and I think the savings is comparible to the savings from Angel Food with a much better selection.

For those looking at alternatives at a savings this might be a place to check out. They don't take credit cards or checks, cash or debit only, but the savings is phenominal and the store brand is in many cases better than the name brand, imo.

http://www.aldi.us/index_ENU_HTML.htm
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    Anyone remember the food stockpile program that gave away cheese and butter and other items? I wish that were available now for some people. It was govn. program. I had a friend that I would drive down so she could pick hers up because she had no car.
    Commodity cheese! My grandmother always had those huge blocks of it in the fridge. My recollection is that it was velveeta-like and kind of gluey, but I'd love to be able to have a slice of it on one of Grandma's homemade biscuits again.

I'm sad to hear the news about Angel Food Ministries. I did look into them a couple times, but it wasn't going to work for me for a few reasons. Aldi's is great, as Cubby as pointed out. So are local farmer's markets, especially for folks who have the ability/resources to buy local/seasonal produce in bulk and then preserve (I do my bit of freezing/canning/drying, although this year it's been a little harder for me to find the time to do so).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast