Sex: Female
    Race: White
    Hair: Red
    Eyes: Blue
    Height: 5'3" (160 cm)
    Weight: 110 lbs (50 kg)
    Non-Family Abduction
    Missing From: LITTLESTOWN, PA, United States

Tracy left from a home for children and has not been seen since 1975. She has a scar on her right ankle and pockmarks on her temple.

ANYONE HAVING INFORMATION SHOULD CONTACT
    National Center for Missing & Exploited Children
    1-800-843-5678 (1-800-THE-LOST)

Pennsylvania State Police (Pennsylvania) - Missing Persons Unit 1-717-783-5524

Link
    http://www.missingkids.com/missingki...archLang=en_US

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Richard For This Useful Post:

30 years on July 8th...

Tracy Anne King went missing on 8 July 1975. It is coming up on the 30th anniversary of her disappearance. Tracy lived in Littlestown, PA which is not far from Gettysburg, and not far from the Maryland border. Several other children are also missing from Pennsylvania, Maryland, and New Jersey from the months before and after her disappearance. She was 14 years old at the time.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Richard For This Useful Post:

30th Anniversary...

The 30th Anniversary of the disappearance of Tracy Anne King has passed with apparently little or no notice in the press. It is notable that the last place she was seen, Littlestown, PA is only 35 miles north of Gaithersburg, MD, where Fred Howard Coffey, Jr. was living at the time. Coffey has since been convicted in several cases of child molestation, and is in a North Carolina Prison for the 1979 murder of 10 year old Amanda Ray. He is a strong suspect in several other cases.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Richard For This Useful Post:

Identity and investigating

This may be worth looking into as some people in the world have obtained documents with incorrect dates before who knows...
    There is a Tracy Ann King in Greenville South Carolina...not sure either if this is a married or maiden name..
    Good Luck I hope that maybe some leads can come your way..

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tolovemoon For This Useful Post:

Remembering her...

Tracy Anne King disappeared in the summer of 1975, when several other disappearances took place in Maryland, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Richard For This Useful Post:

I don't think the Tracy Ann King from Greenville is the same woman. The Greenville woman was born in 1969, which would make her just 6 when Tracy Ann King disappeared.

I wonder why she is listed as "non-family abduction" rather than runaway?

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr. E For This Useful Post:

Summer of 1975

Tracy Anne King disappeared from Littlestown, PA on 8 July 1975. Could her disappearance be linked to that of the Lyon Sisters who went missing 25 March 1975 from Wheaton, MD (featured cases section)? Littlestown is less than an hour drive north from the Wheaton/Rockville area. Both disappearances occurred on a Tuesday. Victims were away from their homes. Similar ages and sizes.

Sixteen days after Tracy Anne's disappearance and probable abduction, on 24 July 1975, Kathy Lynn Beatty, also 14, was abducted in Aspen Hill, Md (adjacent to Wheaton). She was sexually assulted, brutally beaten and left for dead. Found early the next morning, she was still barely alive. Kathy lived for 12 days before dying from her injuries. Could Tracy Anne's case also be related to the abduction and murder of Kathy?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Richard For This Useful Post:

Connected to Lyon Sisters Disappearance?

Could this case be related to the disappearance of the Lyon Sisters?

Check out their case in the featured cases section of Websleuths.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Richard For This Useful Post:

Richard, It seems highly suspicious so many girls around the same age have gone missing. Is LE investigations still active or do you know if they have thought to reopen the case???

18. The Following User Says Thank You to NSC For This Useful Post:

Active and Open cases

Quote Originally Posted by NSC View Post
    Richard, It seems highly suspicious so many girls around the same age have gone missing. Is LE investigations still active or do you know if they have thought to reopen the case???
    I know for certain that the case of Kathy Lynn Beatty and the case of the missing Lyon sisters are both active and open, even after 34 years. I believe that Tracy's case is also considered an open investigation, but cannot say for sure.

Besides these cases, there are a number of other cases of missing or murdered children from that same time frame (circa 1975) that are still open and active but unsolved.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Richard For This Useful Post:

35 Years ago...

This July 8th marks the 35 year anniversary of the disappearance of Tracy Anne King.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Richard For This Useful Post:

Hoffman Homes for Youth

Tracy Anne King went missing from Hoffman Home for Youth back in July of 1975. The place is still in business and has a website. Here is some history of this residential school/treatment center from that website, along with a link to it.

Although Tracy had some emotional problems, it is unlikely that she intended to run away and remain missing for 35 years. Is it possible that someone at the school abducted her? Is it possible that she simply ran away, intending to be gone only a short while and was then picked up by someone who happened to see her walking along the highway?

As mentioned in a previous post, Hoffman Homes and Littlestown, PA are not far from the Maryland state line. Perhaps her abductor took her into Maryland.

------------------------------------

History of Hoffman Homes for Youth

Located in South Central Pennsylvania, Hoffman Homes for Youth has been a part of Adams County history for nearly one hundred years. Hoffman Homes for Youth is a psychiatric residential treatment program for children, accredited by the Joint Commission on Accreditation for Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO) with licensure by the Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare, Department of Health and certification from the Office of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services.

Always loyal to the needs of children, Hoffman Homes for Youth has had three distinct missions since its beginning in 1910.

1910-1960 Orphans

The entire history of Hoffman Homes for Youth is marked by a spirit of love and service to children. It was in this spirit, in 1910, that George and Agnes Hoffman donated 193 acres of prime Pennsylvania farm land to the United Church of Christ (UCC), to be used as an orphanage. The couple had no children of their own, but they felt moved by the plight of homeless children.Many children came to the orphanage and stayed there with their siblings until they were 18 years old. The children worked on the dairy farm and helped with harvesting the fields.

1960-1990 Court Adjudicated Youth

The need for orphanages declined dramatically after the Social Security Act passed in 1935. Following a study and recommendations from the Child Welfare League, the Hoffman Homes for Youth Board of Directors decided that it was time to serve a new population of children. At this time, Hoffman Homes for Youth began admitting court-adjudicated children and appointed an Executive Director with professional training in social work (previous directors had been UCC ministers).The children were sent to local schools and worshipped with local UCC congregations. On campus they were instructed in life skills such as carpentry and auto body.

1990-PRESENT Emotionally and Behaviorally Troubled Youth

Eventually the needs changed again and Hoffman Homes for Youth struggled to help two distinct populations including children with mental illness and adjudicated delinquent youth. The Board of Directors decided that Hoffman Homes for Youth could best serve children with severe emotional disturbances. Since 1990, our primary mission has been to provide comprehensive psychiatric care, treatment, and education to emotionally and behaviorally troubled children and their families. Hoffman Homes for Youth is committed to providing services that are cost effective and responsive to the unique needs of each child.Hoffman Homes for Youth treats the needs of boys and girls ages 6 to 18 who have a major mental health diagnosis. The residential treatment program is licensed to provide behavioral and cognitive therapy, physical health care services, and a safe and comfortable home to 141 children on our campus. Educational services are provided on campus through the Lincoln Intermediate Unit # 12.

Hoffman Homes for Youth serves a unique population of abused and neglected children:Of the 167 children admitted in 2009:
    The average age at admission was 12.7 years.
    The average length of stay was 9.9 months.
    58% of the children were patients in a psychiatric hospital at least once.
    37% of the children made at least one major suicide attempt prior to admission.
    40% of the children had a history of physical abuse.
    36% of the children had a history of sexual abuse.
    91% of the children had a history of aggression.

We are proud of our success rate: 82% of the children discharged in 2009 met their treatment goals while at Hoffman Homes for Youth and were successfully discharged.

Despite the changes in the type of child served at Hoffman Homes for Youth, the spirit of love and service to children has remained constant since 1910.

LINK:

http://www.hoffmanhomes.com/history.html

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Richard For This Useful Post:

Bumping case up. Tracy Anne King went missing on 8 July 1975 from Littlestown, Pennsylvania, not far from the Maryland state line.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Richard For This Useful Post:

Does anyone know the length of time between her leaving the home and being reported missing?
    Staffies They're Softer Than You Think

"From where you're kneeling, it must seem like an 18-carat string of bad luck. But the truth is... the game was rigged from the start." Ė Benny Fallout: New Vegas

"What is the most admirable creature on God's green Earth? Why, it's the bee! Have you ever seen a bee on vacation? Have you ever seen a bee take a sick day? Well, my friends, the answer is no! So I say, be... the bee! Be the bee!" - Jeremiah Fink Bioshock Infinite

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Lilachaze For This Useful Post:

8 July 1975

Quote Originally Posted by Lilachaze View Post
    Does anyone know the length of time between her leaving the home and being reported missing?
    8 July 1975 was a Tuesday. So it would have been a normal weekday routine at the Hoffmann Home.

I do not know the answer to your question as to time frame between her departure from the home and when she was reported missing, but at a school/facility of that nature, it was likely a well controlled and structured place. If she had made a scene of some sort like an argument, fight, emotional outburst, etc prior to leaving, I am sure that she would have been reported immediately. If she simply skipped out quietly, then she might have been missing for as much as a few hours before police would have been called in, because the school personnel would have searched their own facilities for her first.

I have the impression that she was upset about something or was homesick and left the school for a walk. She was probably offered a ride by someone when she reached Highway 97.

Fred Howard Coffey, Jr. should be considered a possible suspect in her disappearance. He is a convicted child molester and child murderer now incarcerated in a North Carolina prison. In July 1975, he was employed by Vitro Laboratories in Wheaton, Maryland, about an hour drive south of the PA/MD line and located on Highway 97.

Immediately after the 24 July 1975 attack on Kathy Lynn Beatty - and when it was reported that she was still alive, Fred Coffey disappeared. He did not inform his employer that he was going or why. Later, when it was reported that Kathy Lynn Beatty had died without regaining conciousness, Fred wrote to Vitro explaining his absense with a lie and requesting that his last paycheck be mailed to him.
    Last edited by Richard; 02-23-2012 at 10:49 AM. Reason: additional informationa and grammar

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Richard For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

Fred Howard Coffey, Jr. should be considered a possible suspect in her disappearance. He is a convicted child molester and child murderer now incarcerated in a North Carolina prison. In July 1975, he was employed by Vitro Laboratories in Wheaton, Maryland, about an hour drive south of the PA/MD line and located on Highway 97.

Thank you for this information, I havenít heard of Fred Howard Coffey, Jr. before I just looked him up and it sayís he was in the area of the Lyon sisters as well. He seems to have gotten around.

"From where you're kneeling, it must seem like an 18-carat string of bad luck. But the truth is... the game was rigged from the start." Ė Benny Fallout: New Vegas

"What is the most admirable creature on God's green Earth? Why, it's the bee! Have you ever seen a bee on vacation? Have you ever seen a bee take a sick day? Well, my friends, the answer is no! So I say, be... the bee! Be the bee!" - Jeremiah Fink Bioshock Infinite

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Lilachaze For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Lilachaze View Post
    There was an article in the Gettysburg Times on Friday, July 11, 1975, three days after Tracy (spelled with an e) left Hoffman House. She left with another girl. I couldn't find a follow-up, but I'm assuming the other girl returned.

Here's a link. Some articles are free and I think a non-subscriber can get up to 3 articles a day. This article is on the right hand side about half way down the page:
    http://newspaperarchive.com/gettysbu...+hoffman+house

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CCJD For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CCJD View Post
    There was an article in the Gettysburg Times on Friday, July 11, 1975, three days after Tracy (spelled with an e) left Hoffman House. She left with another girl. I couldn't find a follow-up, but I'm assuming the other girl returned.

Here's a link. Some articles are free and I think a non-subscriber can get up to 3 articles a day. This article is on the right hand side about half way down the page:
    http://newspaperarchive.com/gettysbu...+hoffman+house

Thank you for that link. That article has left me with more questions then before, like you Iím assuming the other girl was found but I wonder what happened to the boy it mentions, who ran away the next day. Was he found as well? I googled both and found nothing (Iím new at this)

Iím also wondering if the other girl said anything about Tracy.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Lilachaze For This Useful Post:

I want to lump her in with the other missing girls, but the fact that she was at a home throws me off. Why was she there, where were her family, were there any scandals about this home, any shady staffers and what happened to the girl that returned-did she ever say why Tracey didn't come back?

38. The Following User Says Thank You to scriptgirl For This Useful Post:

Tracy Anne King, 14, Missing since July 8, 1975 from Littlestown, PA

Tracy Anne King
    Missing since July 8, 1975 from Littlestown, Adams County, Pennsylvania.
    Classification: Non Family Abduction

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: October 11, 1960
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 14 years old
    Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'3; 110 pounds
    Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Red hair; blue eyes.
    Marks, Scars: King has a scar on her right ankle. She has pockmarks on her temple.
    Dentals: Available
    DNA: Available

Circumstances of Disappearance

King was last seen leaving Hoffman Homes, a children's home in Mount Pleasant Township, Pennsylvania on July 8, 1975.

King was having problems at the time and was living at the home as a result. She had run away from the facility twice before, but King returned shortly thereafter both times. She has never been heard from again.

King wrote her family often from her stay in the home. Her letters are described as being those of a normal teenager at the time.

King's family resided in Perry County, Pennsylvania in 1975.

Investigators

If you have any information concerning King's whereabouts, please contact:

Pennsylvania State Police
    Troop H, Gettysburg Station
    717-334-8111

or

Pennsylvania State Police Bureau of Criminal Investigation
    Missing Persons Unit
    717-783-5524

All information may be submitted on an anonymous basis.

Agency Case Number: H6-16329

NCMEC #:NCMC701787

NCIC Number: M360386548

Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:

The National Center For Missing and Exploited Children
    NamUs MP #2493
    The Doe Network: Case File 342DFPA

LINK:

http://doenetwork.org/cases/342dfpa.html

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Richard For This Useful Post:

Thanks for that info, but really doesn't answer the questions I have.

From an article in the Evening Sun, dated July 10, 2010 (from newslibrary.com - subscription needed):

King's disappearance was classified a non-family abduction, as online reports state she had run away from the home twice before and returned. She had been at the home because of personal problems. While at Hoffman Homes, King had been writing letters to her family, and those letters had been described as those of a normal teenager with no animosity toward her family. She often apologized for not writing them more. Police had expected foul play because of the circumstances involved.
    BBM
    http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/...queryname=4000

I've never found anything to suggest any scandal at Hoffman Homes. Thing is, these children were troubled when they entered the home and, according to one article (link below) 80 to 90% were 'runners' prior to admittance at HH.
    http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...man-home&hl=en

the beginning of that article can be found here:
    http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...al+times&hl=en

An overview of Hoffman Home:
    http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...man-home&hl=en

43. The Following User Says Thank You to CCJD For This Useful Post:

Thank you-the first link is broken, though.

Quote Originally Posted by scriptgirl View Post
    Thank you-the first link is broken, though.
    Thought that might happen - session expires if left dormant for too long. It was really just to validate that I got the paragraph from a newspaper.

46. The Following User Says Thank You to CCJD For This Useful Post:

Ok. I am perplexed by her family's seeming silence on Tracy's disappearence. Seems they didn't make a peep.

48. The Following User Says Thank You to scriptgirl For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast