726 users online (99 members and 627 guests)  

Websleuths News

View Poll Results: Chandlelier. You decide.

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Threw ball at the chandelier and it came detached from the ceiling.

1 1.59%
  • Grabbed chandelier not to fall & detached. It was older & not secured.

32 50.79%
  • Chandelier never detached. Only broken glass on the stairway/base.

3 4.76%
  • I don't know.

27 42.86%

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

New Poll: The Chandelier poll

Debate the chandelier here. A poll is included. Thank you for your vote and for all discussions.

The chandelier is an obstacle (one of many!) unfortunately not easy to explain.

I don't have any chandeliers in my home, only ceiling fans w/light fixtures or just light fixtures.
    Is it possible for a chandelier to detach from the ceiling, if a young boy around 45-60 lbs. is using his full weight pulling and swinging from it?
    How do you explain the chandelier?
    Last edited by arielilane; 09-24-2011 at 04:59 PM.

You can choose to be bitter or better when handling your problems.

My posts are just my opinion and for entertainment purposes only.
    Do not copy any of my post. All post are to remain here.

Christopher McCandless (aka Alexander Supertramp)
    2/12/1968 -8/1992 RIP you are missed.

http://www.bringkyronhome.org/
    If you have information about Kyron Horman, please call the Tip Line at 503-261-2847 or dial 911

Google 'chandelier falls'

It can and does happen that a chandelier will fall without any immediately apparent reason. That chandelier could very well have been there since the house was built in 1908. Beams rot, metal rusts, bolts loosen. It is possible that even a small bit of extra weight could cause a fixture to fall. There is also the possibility that the chandelier could have been swung on before by parties unknown- wild New Years Eve party, squatters, whoever. Although bizarre, such a fall is not totally unlikely. Max could have been playing in the foyer when the chandelier suddenly fell.

Warning, there is a musical group called the chandelier falls which will return a lot of results on google.

I must say- I have always thought of chandeliers has an incredible piece of gorgeous crystal and elegant light. Something simply exquisite. After this story, I'm not sure I will ever look at them the same.

You can choose to be bitter or better when handling your problems.

My posts are just my opinion and for entertainment purposes only.
    Do not copy any of my post. All post are to remain here.

Christopher McCandless (aka Alexander Supertramp)
    2/12/1968 -8/1992 RIP you are missed.

http://www.bringkyronhome.org/
    If you have information about Kyron Horman, please call the Tip Line at 503-261-2847 or dial 911

greenpalm is offline I don't say much unless I've really thought it through. Then I go on and on.
    I have lived in two historic homes. One built in 1910, and the current one built in 1919. The chandelier over my dining room table would certainly not support that much weight, particularly under what was likely high velocity and force. It will swing around and swivel unsteadily under the simple condition of changing a bulb. Things like that are not necessarily up to code in an older house. We have installed ceiling fans in many of the rooms in our home, and in doing so, have mounted cross beams in the attic to support the weight. There weren't cross beams up there to support just the ceiling fixtures prior to that though.

You didn't leave the option that I would vote for: Someone brought down the chandelier after the accident.

greenpalm is offline I don't say much unless I've really thought it through. Then I go on and on.
    In the film adaptation of the play Crimes of The Heart, Babe, portrayed by Sissy Spacek, attempts suicide several times. In one scene she is seen dragging a chandelier by a noose behind her, where it has clearly fallen from the ceiling, unable to support her weight.

I understand it was the chain that broke, allowing the chandelier to fall, not the support that held in in place. If this was the original chandelier I could see this happening.

I don't think it would take a lot of velocity or more than Max's weight if the chain was wek, rusted, or stressed.

"This Time We Get It Right!"
    If you can read this, thank a teacher, if it's in English, thank a soldier!
    If I forget to mention it. Everything I post is my opinion, right or wrong, good or bad.
    If you have questions about Rebecca Zahaus death, please watch this:http://websleuths.com/forums/showpos...00&postcount=1

SmoothOperator is offline Sadly what connects all these puzzles is that there's a victim@the heart of each
    Quote Originally Posted by CDS22 View Post
    You didn't leave the option that I would vote for: Someone brought down the chandelier after the accident.

SmoothOperator is offline Sadly what connects all these puzzles is that there's a victim@the heart of each
    So let's describe it..this 100lb woman goes and finds a ladder that would reach the chain of the chandelier in order to detach it.. This woman would have an extremely difficult, very likely not able to maneuver a ladder of this size from a storage area at some locale on this property.. Quite likely not anywhere in the near vicinity.. This 100lb woman would have to be able to get the ladder from however it is stored(many ladders this size are stored sideways hanging on a wall.. I can attest she would not have been able to retrieve the ladder if this were the case).. But let's say she didn't have to retrieve from a hanging position on a wall of a storage area.. The time it would have taken this poor woman to have been able to pick up and move a ladder of this size, if at all possible, would have been extremely Lengthy..

To be honest the truth of the matter is it's not plausible at all.. And isn't worth the time to attempt to describe such an implausible claim.. Therefor I will state that in my experience with ladders I find with Rebecca's size and height that this
    Isn't physically possible!

Would love to see in detail it described how one believes this to have happened.. Welcome it and look forward to it!!..lol.. Hehehe!! Especially the part where Rebecca brings down the chandelier..

The IMO implausible and impossible claims being thrown out in Max's tragic accident do not for one second take away from the real focus here.. Rebecca's murder.. But I must admit it does give some humor relief to such a tragic case..

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothOperator View Post
    So let's describe it..this 100lb woman goes and finds a ladder that would reach the chain of the chandelier in order to detach it.. This woman would have an extremely difficult, very likely not able to maneuver a ladder of this size from a storage area at some locale on this property.. Quite likely not anywhere in the near vicinity.. This 100lb woman would have to be able to get the ladder from however it is stored(many ladders this size are stored sideways hanging on a wall.. I can attest she would not have been able to retrieve the ladder if this were the case).. But let's say she didn't have to retrieve from a hanging position on a wall of a storage area.. The time it would have taken this poor woman to have been able to pick up and move a ladder of this size, if at all possible, would have been extremely Lengthy..

To be honest the truth of the matter is it's not plausible at all.. And isn't worth the time to attempt to describe such an implausible claim.. Therefor I will state that in my experience with ladders I find with Rebecca's size and height that this
    Isn't physically possible!

Would love to see in detail it described how one believes this to have happened.. Welcome it and look forward to it!!..lol.. Hehehe!! Especially the part where Rebecca brings down the chandelier..

The IMO implausible and impossible claims being thrown out in Max's tragic accident do not for one second take away from the real focus here.. Rebecca's murder.. But I must admit it does give some humor relief to such a tragic case..
    First of all, I haven't stated that RZ brought down the chandelier. Second of all, why do you consider it impossible for petite women to do anything?

You've got the scenario of a 6 year old, 45-lb boy bringing down a chandelier. Why is it then absurd for someone of a larger height and weight to bring it down?

Quote Originally Posted by SunnieRN View Post
    I understand it was the chain that broke, allowing the chandelier to fall, not the support that held in in place. If this was the original chandelier I could see this happening.

I don't think it would take a lot of velocity or more than Max's weight if the chain was wek, rusted, or stressed.
    After looking @ a close-up pic of the rusted, weathered balcony railing, it would not surprise me in the least that other fixtures (susceptible to the salty sea air & just downright aging) in this ocean-front historic mansion could have also been in need of repair and/or replacing.

And I also remember hearing that the chain broke.
    To understand the soul of a horse is the closest we humans can come to knowing perfection.

In homes I've lived in with chandeliers, they're normally fastened strongly enough to handle the weight of the chandelier itself and not the weight of an individual hanging from it.

Ceiling fans are usually braced more strongly than chandeliers, (based on homes I've lived in) because they must be able to handle the motion of the motorized fan.

Quote Originally Posted by CDS22 View Post
    How would someone do such a thing w/o LE finding evidence of tampering? If you check the search warrant related to MS death, LE retrieved the parts of the chandelier's wiring, etc. If there had been tampering, they would have seen evidence of such.

North Carolina's beautiful Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by SmoothOperator View Post

Thank you!!!! I have wanted to do that so bad soooooo many times...

Common sense just plain old common sense!!!
    About the time we can make ends meet, somebody moves the ends. Herbert Hoover

Quote Originally Posted by Betty P View Post
    How would someone do such a thing w/o LE finding evidence of tampering? If you check the search warrant related to MS death, LE retrieved the parts of the chandelier's wiring, etc. If there had been tampering, they would have seen evidence of such.

The LE has said they don't know if it fell on MS or if he fell on it. They just know it came down.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast