PA PA - Debra Makel, 8, Rices Landing, 5 Oct 1973

10 OCT 1973

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=CgkcAAAAIBAJ&sjid=AlUEAAAAIBAJ&pg=5488,3509314&dq=makel&hl=en

16 OCT 1973

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...EAAAAIBAJ&pg=7240,48099&dq=debbie-makel&hl=en

27 JAN 1974 (this give details of crime, very interesting read, I'd like to see what other's think about the "facts" that have been reported. Picture of her home as well and bus stop, and where grave was found. Good article)

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...AAAIBAJ&pg=7005,3684633&dq=debbie-makel&hl=en

26 OCT 1973

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...AAAIBAJ&pg=7169,3793368&dq=debbie-makel&hl=en

Article gives more description of search, a picture of distance between Debbie's house and where her body was found.

I have never heard of this case and Rices Landing is only about an hour from where I live. I imagine one reason being that I have never heard of this before is that Debra was murdered before I was born.. How sad that it hasn't been solved after all these years.

Wonder if they have done a DNA test lately? The last known article is from 2003... more people could be in the system now.

I just think its sad that people in the town are not being helpful by talking about the case. I figured the neighbors would try to support the family (especially if they still live in the area) by helping to find the killer. From the articles I read, it definitely sounds as if her body was moved from saturday night when the area was searched to sunday when her body was found. I also think it's likely that it was someone she knew, someone who was a local. I would even go so far as to say it could be someone in her family - maybe an extended family member like an uncle or cousin. That could be why the dogs didn't bark (because they knew the person) and why the cellar door was unlocked (perhaps they had a key). I also think it's odd that her cousins (26 and 16 year olds at the time) found her in a spot that was searched the night before, and that they said a "vision" led them to her. It's just very sad for the family to have no answers after all this time. I hope they find out what happened one day.

I just think its sad that people in the town are not being helpful by talking about the case. I figured the neighbors would try to support the family (especially if they still live in the area) by helping to find the killer. From the articles I read, it definitely sounds as if her body was moved from saturday night when the area was searched to sunday when her body was found. I also think it's likely that it was someone she knew, someone who was a local. I would even go so far as to say it could be someone in her family - maybe an extended family member like an uncle or cousin. That could be why the dogs didn't bark (because they knew the person) and why the cellar door was unlocked (perhaps they had a key). I also think it's odd that her cousins (26 and 16 year olds at the time) found her in a spot that was searched the night before, and that they said a "vision" led them to her. It's just very sad for the family to have no answers after all this time. I hope they find out what happened one day.

I agree with your statement - I wouldn't doubt that this was someone who helped searched for her and they went to that funeral. With the fact that the dogs didn't bark- I am not sure about the hound breed that is mentioned but if the dogs knew the person then chances are they wouldn't bark. This person went undetected due to living in that community, an outsider would have stuck out. This happened in the daytime and that in itself says something. It would seem Debbie knew the person, and they lured her out the door described with something that got her attention and curiousity.

I wouldn't rule out a pyschopath or sociopath type person- they kept some of Debbie's belongings (clothes and shoes) kind of a trophy for what they did. It is very possible that this person moved to another area whether in or out of state.

The shallow grave ( I can't read the article in full) the way it is loading from the link, now if she was covered ( maybe this person is ashamed of what they did.)

Did they ever get a clue as to where the cord came from.

It could be that if she were killed in another location, that the shoes, underwear and purse were left there. I wonder if the neighbors were checked. I really can;t imagine that her family stayed there, in the same house, not knowing who was responsible. This poor family.

Long Time Lurker on this site, I am so proud of everyone on here and I wish there was something I could contribute. I will just keep reading and learning from y'all. This case is so sad, and maybe if someone kept her in their car or house they would have all kinds of evidence you see on these forensic shows. These are sad and tearful happenings.

I don't think they ever figured out where the cord came from that was used to strangle her. One of the police officers said that so many people who were searching for her went through the house and potentail crime scene, that a lot of evidence was probably compromised. Search dogs were also in the area prior to when she was found, and no scent of her was ever detected. This suggests that she wasn't there the first time and was moved from another location. Where that was is anyone's guess. Another article mentioned how they were trying to get some DNA samples from Debbie's clothes. Unless something comes of that or someone steps forward with new information, it will be tough to crack this case.

I thought at first the brothers seen her coming up the drive, as they were standing close by the house...But now i see, from another article, that they seen her get off the bus, and start walking towards the house down the road. and a neighbor seen her reach the house, and the books inside tells us she did at least reach the inside of the home.
Like the rest of us, i am waiting on that DNA, from the 2003 article. To see if they at least have a profile, even though no match perhaps.
I have my suspicions, like everyone else, but i really like to know about the possible DNA profile. The killer or killers could have been waiting and watching her from a spot close to the house. As she came up the drive. Not serial killing, but local.
they may have known each other. And probably knew she would be riding the bus, and getting home before the boys. She wasn't killed at the house. But taken nearby, walking distance. and killed there, and her shoes, and other items left there.
She could have even left the house, and just walked and ran with someone to the place she was murdered at, as if to go and see something, lead there without a struggle..I am not leaning towards the body was put there, after the area was searched, but the old timer as they called him, is pretty darn sure she was not there when they fist searched, but was there after. And i pretty much believe him at this point. It could have been that way, put her there afterward s, the first search. he killer may have not known it had already been searched, and wanted to be involved in finding her.
Not taken her far away, but leaving her close by her house, may indicate someone at the time could not drive, had no transportation other then a bicycle. like a youngster at the time. A sex/thrill kill perhaps.

ALL MOO AND SPECULATION ON MY PART, NOTHING FACTUAL OR FOR CERTAIN UNLESS OTHER WISE KNOWN TO BE.​

I was looking up Debras name a few days ago see we were best friends when we where little her death has affected me all my life.That is how i found this site. I think she is the reason Im so interrested in cold cases and in solved cold cases. I pray all the time to see her death solved.I wish I could do it but I would not know where to begin when I read what was on here I cried to see that site she was found at. See back then they tried so hard to protect us.from everything. They would pull us out of class talk to us we did not know what to tell them all they did was scare us and give us nightmares and send us to conseling. thank you all for the interest. I have always wanted to see someone pay for taking my best friend. The only thing I can do is remember and keep parying to some day have answers and on the 5th of oct im going with my 13 year old daughter who this winter lost her best friend to a house fire. To that site to take flowers. And to pray. Trishmcnary

Thanks for posting Trish. It must have been so hard to go through the death of your best friend when you were a little girl. I too had an experience when I was younger that shaped my interest in missing children and cold cases.

From reading different articles, I know the people in Rices Landing didn't like to talk about what happened, but do you think the townspeople had any ideas about who could have killed her, such as a local or just a drifter? Sometimes rumors swirl after something like this...everyone has their own idea of what could have happened.

From 2003, the DNA....
If there was no match in the system, then i wonder whom they tried to match it with that was not in the system.
I like to know, if they asked or checked somehow the person whom had the vision, where the body was, and see if it was a match?
Anyone know

I lived about a mile away from where Debbie lived. I was 7 years old when this happened and my father & uncle were in the search party. On Saturday they had searched and torn apart the brush pile she was hidden in. On Sunday morning she was found there, with the brush re-stacked on her body. The State Police came to our home with photo's of her body in the brush pile and re-questioned my father and uncle (who worked for the game commission) about the brush pile. It was horrible.
The people of Rices Landing know who did it. We'll just say they're not talking because they were told not to talk. I still live here, still live in the shadow of this murder, and people still won't tell what they know.

Thanks to Doyle for posting this case back in 2003. And thanks to Websleuths moderators for bringing it to the Cold Case files after so many years of it being filed away.

There have been quite a few posts this year and a lot of interest and care in Debra's violent murder. It is quite possible that her case will be solved and her killer brought to justice yet, even though it has now been 37 years.

Hi,Im Chip.That vid is from my blog.I'm still working on this story and have a ton of news clippings from the case I hope to scan and post.The 37th anniversry was the other day.I've gotten alot of feedback on this and continue to hear from folks who are both local and widespread who are interested in the case.I grew up in Rices Landing and it is a beatuiful,quiet little town.There,naturally,is a lot of speculation and hearsay,but many common theories...I'll keep ya all posted..

Can you share some of the common theories that have gone around Rices Landing about why Debra was murdered? From what I read, I always thought it might be a local person, someone who knew the family well. It's hard to believe the people in the town might know who did it and not say anything, especially if her family still lives in the area. I wish someone would help the family get answers and come forward with info. I'm sure if the people who know something were in the same situation as the Makels, they would want someone to come forward with info to help solve the murder of their child and give them some peace.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back