1252 users online (289 members and 963 guests)  


The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News


Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Barrie Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    765

    Disabled Pickering boy took his own life after he was mugged and bullied

    (((Ontario Canada ))))Disabled Pickering boy took his own life after he was mugged and bullied

    http://www.thestar.com/news/article/...ed-and-bullied

    By his 11th birthday, Mitchell Wilson had already endured a lifetime of pain.

    He was 8 when his mother died of cancer three years ago.

    The next year he was diagnosed with muscular dystrophy, a degenerative and incurable disease that was slowly destroying his muscles and would one day leave him paralyzed.

    PHOTOS: The life of Mitchell Wilson

    And last November, while on one of his prescribed daily walks, Mitchell was jumped by a 12-year-old boy he knew from his elementary school in Pickering. The older child, who was after the iPhone Mitchell borrowed from his father to listen to music while he walked, smashed Mitchell’s face into the pavement so hard he broke some of the boy’s teeth.

    The attack, Mitchell’s parents say, led their son on a downward spiral which culminated in his suicide earlier this month.

    “He was never the same after the mugging,” said Mitchell’s father, Craig Wilson, who found his son’s lifeless body on Sept. 6 — a plastic bag tied around the young boy’s head — when he went to wake him up for what would have been his first day of Grade 6. “Ultimately it shattered his life.”

    The alleged mugger was arrested the day after the attack, charged with assault and removed from Westcreek Public School.

    But the older boy’s friends remained, and they blamed Mitchell for getting their friend in trouble — following him home from school and taunting him about his slow and laboured gait.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    439
    breaks my heart

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    17,624
    I just found out about this story and I am so upset and horrified. Poor little Mitchell, RIP sweetheart. I also found this report from the Toronto Sun and there is a little more info from the dad. OMG this story is so sad. Lots of comments too from grown men at work crying over this boy.

    http://www.torontosun.com/2011/09/22...#disqus_thread

    He wanted to die rather than go to his first day of grade 6 and face his bully, his bully's supporters and testify against his attacker in court. Mitchell, you are with your mamma now poor little baby (crying). Why why why????

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    63° 22'N 32° 17'W (It's In The Abyss.)
    Posts
    3,391
    That's really low to bully a disabled person. Sounds like something Hitler or Stalin would do.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    7,230

    Heartbreaking & HUGE Injustice!!! If only Lady Gaga was Canadian!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Valleyboy View Post
    (((Ontario Canada ))))Disabled Pickering boy took his own life after he was mugged and bullied

    http://www.thestar.com/news/article/...ed-and-bullied

    By his 11th birthday, Mitchell Wilson had already endured a lifetime of pain.

    He was 8 when his mother died of cancer three years ago.

    The next year he was diagnosed with muscular dystrophy, a degenerative and incurable disease that was slowly destroying his muscles and would one day leave him paralyzed.

    PHOTOS: The life of Mitchell Wilson

    And last November, while on one of his prescribed daily walks, Mitchell was jumped by a 12-year-old boy he knew from his elementary school in Pickering. The older child, who was after the iPhone Mitchell borrowed from his father to listen to music while he walked, smashed Mitchell’s face into the pavement so hard he broke some of the boy’s teeth.

    The attack, Mitchell’s parents say, led their son on a downward spiral which culminated in his suicide earlier this month.

    “He was never the same after the mugging,” said Mitchell’s father, Craig Wilson, who found his son’s lifeless body on Sept. 6 — a plastic bag tied around the young boy’s head — when he went to wake him up for what would have been his first day of Grade 6. “Ultimately it shattered his life.”

    The alleged mugger was arrested the day after the attack, charged with assault and removed from Westcreek Public School.

    But the older boy’s friends remained, and they blamed Mitchell for getting their friend in trouble — following him home from school and taunting him about his slow and laboured gait.
    Snipped from the link above...

    On Labour Day, hours before Mitchell killed himself, he was served with a subpoena to testify against his alleged assailant on Sept. 28. Mitchell was terrified of having to face the other boy in court, his father says.

    Now the charges may be dropped because Mitchell can no longer testify. Wilson and his wife say they have been told by the Crown’s office it is unlikely the case will go ahead without Mitchell.


    Although they have little faith in the justice system, they are hoping for a compromise: in exchange for the charges to be dropped, they want the accused boy to be ordered to do community service for people with disabilities and — most importantly — be forced to listen to their victim-impact statements.

    “I need this kid to understand the impact he’s had on this family . . . I want him to choose a different route than the one he’s on, a different path in life.”

    Wilson is also hoping that by speaking to the media, visiting schools and telling Mitchell’s story he can prevent other kids from being bullied and educate people about what it’s like to live with a disability.

    “Ultimately everybody has to be nicer to each other.”


    Hope there was a HUGE crowd in support of Mitchell at the courthouse today!
    Don't believe EVERYTHING you think.[/CENTER]

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    7,230
    Dad doubts bully has learned a thing
    September 28, 2011

    snipped....

    OSHAWA - The case against a young bully who tormented Mitchell Wilson to death has been adjourned until Nov. 21.

    It is a small victory for the boy's father, Craig, who worried the robbery and assault case against the 13-year-old would be thrown out now that Mitchell is gone.

    ....Response to the Sun story has been overwhelming and Wilson said he's been heartened by the outpouring of compassion and support.

    But Wilson worries that even if his son's tormentor is convicted, he doubts he's learned a thing.
    Don't believe EVERYTHING you think.[/CENTER]

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    7,230

    Surprised???

    Bully's brother also in legal trouble
    September 28, 2011

    snipped...

    PICKERING - The boy accused of mugging disabled Mitchell Wilson is not the only child in the family in trouble with the law.

    J.S.’s 17-year-old brother is now in prison, charged with an armed robbery at a Bell store in Aurora that left both the youth and a York Regional Police officer wounded.


    The teen, his name protected under the Youth Criminal Justice Act, and two other adult suspects from Pickering were arrested July 21 and charged with robbery with use of a firearm, theft over $5,000, forcible confinement, possession of weapons dangerous, possession of property obtained by crime over $5,000 and disguise with intent.

    ...It makes Mitchell’s family wonder what kind of parenting is going on in a home where one son is accused of armed robbery and the other of mugging a disabled boy.

    “It probably isn’t the kid, it’s probably the parents looking after the kid,” says Mitchell’s father, Craig Wilson. “Why hasn’t someone removed this child from their parents’ care to make a difference in this kid’s life?”

    He also wonders if the Children’s Aid Society is involved in their family as they are in his own. A letter from the CAS arrived in Wilson’s mailbox just a day after Mitchell committed suicide saying they were being assessed.

    There were no answers forthcoming from J.S.’s family Wednesday. No one answered the door at their Ontario Housing unit and no one appeared on his behalf in court except his lawyer.

    “He’s just a child,” said Mitchell’s grandmother, Pam Wilson. “We don’t want to be vigilantes. I feel bad for the bully because the bully has missed out on so much in life and hasn’t been loved or cared for.”
    Don't believe EVERYTHING you think.[/CENTER]

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    63° 22'N 32° 17'W (It's In The Abyss.)
    Posts
    3,391
    Quote Originally Posted by tarabull View Post
    Bully's brother also in legal trouble
    September 28, 2011

    snipped...
    Sounds like that bully's family is screwed up. A family of deviants.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Barrie Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    765
    Boy, 13, charged in alleged bullying case of boy who committed suicide is acquitted

    http://www.680news.com/news/local/ar...e-is-acquitted

    OSHAWA, Ont. - A 13-year-old boy charged with robbing and assaulting an 11-year-old who later committed suicide has been found not guilty.

    The accused boy was acquitted Monday in Oshawa, Ont., on charges of assault causing bodily harm and robbery.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    179

    Angry

    Or Satan.

    Quote Originally Posted by HMSHood View Post
    That's really low to bully a disabled person. Sounds like something Hitler or Stalin would do.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    179
    Wish I could've been there.


    Quote Originally Posted by tarabull View Post
    Snipped from the link above...





    Hope there was a HUGE crowd in support of Mitchell at the courthouse today!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Black Hills
    Posts
    6,243
    Quote Originally Posted by Valleyboy View Post
    Boy, 13, charged in alleged bullying case of boy who committed suicide is acquitted

    http://www.680news.com/news/local/ar...e-is-acquitted

    OSHAWA, Ont. - A 13-year-old boy charged with robbing and assaulting an 11-year-old who later committed suicide has been found not guilty.

    The accused boy was acquitted Monday in Oshawa, Ont., on charges of assault causing bodily harm and robbery.
    wth? Was there not a positive ID from the beginning? I realize that the Canadian justice system is a bit different than the US but why didn't this boy's statement hold up?

    The next time he bullies someone I hope he will be convicted. At some point kids who bully have to be punished to the full extent of the law.

    ****
    http://grandmotherscouncil.org/
    ****
    My Facebook page; I am grateful for the fact that two people who joined had colonoscopies, discovered cancer and are on the way to healing through treatment. Colonoscopies save lives! [A 3rd person has just been added. 8/7]

    www.facebook.com/WaitWhereAmIGoing
    ****
    https://www.tsu.co/JacieLin



Similar Threads

  1. Journalist and camera crew mugged on air
    By zwiebel in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-14-2015, 10:40 PM
  2. Dad loses own life saving disabled son
    By PoppyMcTwist in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-10-2008, 02:58 PM
  3. Laura Ingle mugged on air
    By aingael in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-29-2007, 10:21 PM