SUSPECT: Edward Bell and the "Eleven Who Went to Heaven"

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Man admits to killing as many as 11 girls across Southeast Texas

---
Edward Harold Bell, admitted sex offender, convicted murderer and self-described serial killer, has given multiple chilling confessions from his locked prison cell of abducting and slaying teenage and adolescent girls in the 1970s, describing crimes even now unsolved.

In disturbing letters sent to Harris and Galveston county prosecutors in 1998 - but kept secret for 13 years - Bell claimed to have killed seven girls, including two Galveston 15-year-olds shot as they stood tied up and half naked in the chilly waters of Turner Bayou, according to excerpts and descriptions of Bell's letters obtained by the Houston Chronicle.

In July and September, in exclusive interviews, Bell, now gaunt and pasty-faced at 72, told a Chronicle reporter the tally of lives was not just seven, but 11, the "Eleven that went to Heaven."

Bell claims a brainwashing "program" forced him to "be a flasher," to "rape girls" and ultimately to kill.
---
much, much more of this four-page Houston Chronicle story, with pictures, at Express-News link above

I wonder if he ever ventured back into Texas during those years he was "in hiding"... I also wonder how many other poor girls he killed while he was living out of the country...

Several senior investigators familiar with Bell's letters of confessions told the Chronicle they have long believed he committed multiple murders and found evidence to corroborate his claims. But probes stalled.
Galveston prosecutors refused to present Bell's written confessions to a grand jury. Harris County prosecutors never investigated the claims and subsequently lost the letters. And Bell refused to cooperate with police. Several investigators said not enough effort was made in 1998 to re-investigate the cases.
One former Galveston DA, Kurt Sistrunk, told the Chronicle, "I didn't believe we had sufficient evidence that we could proceed to grand jury with, and without getting into specifics, that's the decision that had to be made, no matter the temptations to proceed otherwise ... It wasn't for a lack of effort."

Read more: http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/n...-as-11-girls-across-2189199.php#ixzz1ZAy5EDXI

all the bold and red I have problems with..... seems like there was a lot of lack in effort to me....

lost the letter??? <<snort>>

I wonder if he ever ventured back into Texas during those years he was "in hiding"... I also wonder how many other poor girls he killed while he was living out of the country...

Exactly. And how many girls in Mexico and Central America may be missing during the 14 years he hid out there - must be some. Those stories will never be heard.

all the bold and red I have problems with..... seems like there was a lot of lack in effort to me....

lost the letter??? <<snort>>
That may be Texan for "sold it to true crime collectors on eBay."

Yes, this could be a really big deal - nut-job RSO spills beans on murderous Texas past. Either he's already lying and just trying for attention, or he's telling the truth and there are even more cases. I don't see anything in between with this guy.

In 1992, when Bell was on the run, Unsolved Mysteries documented his murder of Larry Dickens. A snippet (mainly of general interest because a young Matthew McConaughey plays Larry) from YouTube below:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bADOOoiXn4"]Matthew Mcconaughey - YouTube[/ame]

Here's the original Houston Chronicle article I linked from the S.A. Express-News yesterday - it features a video with pictures of Bell's supposed victims and a short interview with a Galveston cop who's investigated the case which is well worth watching:

Confessions of a cold-blooded killer

Also, American Bar Association Journal has a handy, five-paragraph summary of the case here, for those without the time to read the multi-page Chronicle article.

For a second I thought that maybe this freak could have something to do with the murder of Amanda Goodman in Brownwood, Tx... She would have been about the "right age" to attract him. She went missing on her walk home from school, but she was found a few hours later, shot to death & not sexually abused...

I think this guy hid his victims...

A convicted murderer has revealed that he is also the serial killer behind eleven other murders of teenage adolescent girls in the seventies.

Edward Harold Bell, who was on the run for 14 years after the shooting murder of Larry Dickens, calls his victims the 'Eleven that went to Heaven'.

He has given a chilling confession from his prison cell after he was jailed for 70 years for murder after being caught in Panama in 1993.

Bell says he killed 15-year-olds Debbie Ackerman and Maria Johnson who disappeared after hitch-hiking in Texas, according to the Houston Chronicle.

http://whatsonjinan.com/news-841-us-convicted-killer-edward-harold-bell-admits-killing-11-teen-girls-in-70s.html

TENTH COURT OF APPEALS

A jury found Edward Harold Bell guilty of murder and assessed punishment at seventy years confinement. Bell contends in three points that the evidence was legally insufficient to support the verdict, that he was denied effective assistance of counsel, and that the court erred by failing to instruct the jury on voluntary conduct. We affirm.

On the afternoon of August 28, 1978, Dorothy Lang was looking out her kitchen window and saw Edward Bell park his truck across the street from her house. When he stepped out of the truck, she saw that he was wearing only a red shirt that came down past his waist but did not cover his genitals. Lang called the police when she saw Bell approach a group of boys while masturbating. Larry Dickens, Lang's twenty-six year old son, overheard Lang's call to the police and ran outside to detain Bell until the police arrived.

Larry ran to the truck and took the keys from the ignition. Bell began demanding that his keys be returned to him.

Lang testified that Bell got his jeans from the truck and put them on. He reached back inside the truck, produced a gun, and told Larry that he was going to kill him if he did not return his keys. Bell then fired the gun into the air and threatened to kill Larry if he didn't return the keys. Larry replied that Bell was not going to kill anyone and started to approach Bell. According to Lang, her son walked two or three steps toward Bell when Bell shot him. After Bell shot Larry five times, Larry staggered to his garage.

http://www.10thcoa.courts.state.tx.us/opinions/htmlopinion.asp?OpinionId=1036

It was also learned by The Police News
during our research, that Ed Bell at one
time, wrote a letter to law enforcement officials
admitting to the murders of Debbie
Ackerman and Maria Johnson and some
others whose names he could not recall.
However, when investigators interviewed
him in his prison cell, he refused talk further
about the letter or the murders. One thing
is certain, the confession in his letter was
not coerced, but apparently there was no
evidence or not enough evidence to support
his claims, because he has never been
charged with any of the murders.
Edward H. Bell remains in a Texas prison
today.

http://thepolicenews.net/html/gcpnoct06.pdf

Police: No corroboration for killing confession

Paige started working on the Ackerman and Johnson case in 2005 and turned over findings about Bell to the district attorney&#8217;s office.

The girls, both 15, were found in Turner&#8217;s Bayou in Texas City on Nov. 19, 1971, four days after they were reported missing. The girls were shot and found half nude, according to The Daily News&#8217; archives.

Galveston police built a cold case file on the killings, three binders thick, police Capt. Jeff Heyse said.

&#8216;He Wants Immunity&#8217;

&#8220;He wants immunity before swearing to anything, and if he&#8217;s not going to swear to anything, you&#8217;re not going to get a conviction,&#8221; Heyse said.

In 1971, Bell approached a surf-shop owner about storing diving equipment. Ackerman and Johnson were among those teens that regularly hung out at the shop. After they vanished, two witnesses told police they saw the girls last in a white van. Bell drove a white van in 1972 when police arrested him for exposing himself to young girls.

http://galvestondailynews.com/story/260950

There cannot be a corroboration because there isn't really any biological or physical evidence in the cases. He basically has to confess for there to ever be any conviction.

He isn't getting out of prison, so maybe he should be given immunity, just so that the families of these girls can get a little piece of closure.

Bell is a sick, sick man and he is still trying to dominate and control from behind the bars as much as he possibly can.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soababiotiling
Back