AZ-Huachuca City bans sex offenders from public facilities

What a great idea! I wish every state in the country would do that.

I so want this law here! I am going to write a letter to the editor!

I so want this law here! I am going to write a letter to the editor!

So now RSOs can't check out a book or attend a pro football game?

At some point, somebody needs to calm down and rationally consider the ramifications of these laws. We've already extended the "forbidden zones" in some places to the point where RSOs can't find a place to live.

I'm not opposed to changing the law to extend the prison terms for hardcore offenders. But there are constitutional issues (or at least there should be) with simply piling on additional restrictions after the fact, all because we are (understandably) scared of RSOs.

This will likely turn out to have been a symbolic ordinance at best. Don't really see the point in such a futile effort. Parents, watch your kids. This law isn't realistic and may just promote a false sense of security in public places. I think AZ is becoming the Florida of the Southwest! (I do say that with humor and affection. I think AZ is absolutely beautiful. Just some of the laws/politics are pretty kooky IMO :seeya:)

This will likely turn out to have been a symbolic ordinance at best. Don't really see the point in such a futile effort. Parents, watch your kids. This law isn't realistic and may just promote a false sense of security in public places. I think AZ is becoming the Florida of the Southwest! (I do say that with humor and affection. I think AZ is absolutely beautiful. Just some of the laws/politics are pretty kooky IMO :seeya:)

I agree that AZ has become the FL of the Southwest, but I don't say it with much affection. (And I'm a native Floridian.)

I agree that AZ has become the FL of the Southwest, but I don't say it with much affection. (And I'm a native Floridian.)

I understand completely Nova. I was attempting to be sensitive to those Arizonians who must feel as though their state is being run by an alien, fascist entity. I know that's how I feel right now living in Wisconsin. There are a great number of Wisconsinites who are appalled at what our state has become and are embarrassed about our representation at the national level. Just trying to encourage those Arizonians who feel held hostage to crazy ideology that they are not alone! :seeya:

So now RSOs can't check out a book or attend a pro football game?

At some point, somebody needs to calm down and rationally consider the ramifications of these laws. We've already extended the "forbidden zones" in some places to the point where RSOs can't find a place to live.

I'm not opposed to changing the law to extend the prison terms for hardcore offenders. But there are constitutional issues (or at least there should be) with simply piling on additional restrictions after the fact, all because we are (understandably) scared of RSOs.

Respectfully, I wish the article better described 'public facilities'. My impression was those facilities provided by the city (park districts) most often used by and designated for children. Last I knew, Huachuca City AZ isn't home to a NFL, NHL, MLB or NBA team, so I don't believe this law for this particular city will affect any RSO's from attending a professional sports game. ;)

Also, within the article the COP is quoted as saying pedofiles. Does this mean he is referring to those RSO's with convictions against children? Or is he lumping all RSO's, including those just over the legal age convicted of crimes involving/with those just under the legal age?

I like the idea if it is designated for those RSO's with convictions against children to remain out of area's designated for children. Would be nice if we could get a copy of what the actual law reads.

As for the library and checking out books, I'd have to see if these public facilities include institutions designated for adults such as local colleges or universities. Which are typically not designated for children.

jmo

I so like the way AZ is starting to think.

WHOOO HOOOO wish my town would do this!!!

http://www.kgun9.com/news/local/130601283.html?hpt=us_bn7

The ordinance creates “child safety zones,” by banning all registered sex offenders from schools, parks, libraries, pools, gymnasiums, sports fields and sports facilities.

I think schools,libraries, pools,gymnasiums,sports fields, and sports facilities are ALL places where children should be able to feel safe, without a frightened hyper vigilant parent helicoptering within arms reach every second. Children are entitled to peace and sanity. Yes, I know it is embarrassing for pedophiles, CONVICTED pedophiles no less, to lose those rights, but "you play, you pay". I say it is a very VERY small sacrifice to pay for our children's future, and therefore the future of our species.

Pedophiles who have already harmed children have NO BUSINESS at schools, or pools, or gymnasiums, or children's sport fields and facilities anyway.

ETA: I really don't think this is much different from banning certain criminals from owning guns or denying a drivers license to certain dangerous drunk drivers. Both of these restrictions are to protect the common good; are our children not worth similar protection from those most likely to harm them?

Just logged in a moment to check latest news. Gary Enzler has been arrested in Helena for sexual abuse of children. The article published here at Websleuths states that he was KNOWN to hang out at skate parks and YMCAs. Eventually, vulnerable children came to think he was "cool". That is, until he betrayed their trust by viciously raping them.

So, (if he is convicted of these multiple counts with multiple children) is it ok if we require him to live in the future WITHOUT hanging around locations filled with children at play?? I believe he has lost that privilege.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7181320

I understand completely Nova. I was attempting to be sensitive to those Arizonians who must feel as though their state is being run by an alien, fascist entity. I know that's how I feel right now living in Wisconsin. There are a great number of Wisconsinites who are appalled at what our state has become and are embarrassed about our representation at the national level. Just trying to encourage those Arizonians who feel held hostage to crazy ideology that they are not alone! :seeya:

You are right, and I'm not helping by making jokes. There are plenty of progressives in AZ, particularly in places like Scottsdale and Tucson.

And Lord knows California isn't much better once you step outside the major cities.

I think schools,libraries, pools,gymnasiums,sports fields, and sports facilities are ALL places where children should be able to feel safe, without a frightened hyper vigilant parent helicoptering within arms reach every second. Children are entitled to peace and sanity. Yes, I know it is embarrassing for pedophiles, CONVICTED pedophiles no less, to lose those rights, but "you play, you pay". I say it is a very VERY small sacrifice to pay for our children's future, and therefore the future of our species.

Pedophiles who have already harmed children have NO BUSINESS at schools, or pools, or gymnasiums, or children's sport fields and facilities anyway.

ETA: I really don't think this is much different from banning certain criminals from owning guns or denying a drivers license to certain dangerous drunk drivers. Both of these restrictions are to protect the common good; are our children not worth similar protection from those most likely to harm them?

I agree that "embarrassing" pedophiles isn't the problem or the issue.

But RSOs have to be someplace. And since there is no constituency to defend them, it's easy for any politician who wants to manipulate voters to do so by making up new restrictions.

Let's think about it, however. Where is a pedophile more apt to harm a child: at a public pool, where all children are under the supervision of lifeguards as well as parents, or sitting on his front porch, where a lone child may walk by?

If we're being logical, we ought to encourage RSOs to spend as much time as possible in public places.

Just logged in a moment to check latest news. Gary Enzler has been arrested in Helena for sexual abuse of children. The article published here at Websleuths states that he was KNOWN to hang out at skate parks and YMCAs. Eventually, vulnerable children came to think he was "cool". That is, until he betrayed their trust by viciously raping them.

So, (if he is convicted of these multiple counts with multiple children) is it ok if we require him to live in the future WITHOUT hanging around locations filled with children at play?? I believe he has lost that privilege.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7181320

Good point.

Sounds like we need to improve the way we educate our children. Kids should be taught to beware any adult who "hangs out" at a skate park.

I more or less grew up at the Y, first as a member, later as a counselor. I promise you we would have been very suspicious of any adult who spent time around the children. And this was back in the "innocent" 1960s!

As long this ban include only adult’s it’s OK, but since it’s possible to charge and register even very young pre-pubescent children as sex offender I have doubts that it will work for all.

This is not an AZ case but will express what I want to say

http://cfcamerica.org/news/teens/62...-both-were-in-their-underwear-comments-please

Oh, good grief!

Despite appearances here, I am not particularly sympathetic to actual child molesters. But as a culture we tend toward hysteria on the subject of sex and nowhere is this more apparent than where we expand the definition of sex criminal to include retarded 10-year-olds and college girls peeing behind a bush.

I agree that "embarrassing" pedophiles isn't the problem or the issue.

But RSOs have to be someplace. And since there is no constituency to defend them, it's easy for any politician who wants to manipulate voters to do so by making up new restrictions.

Let's think about it, however. Where is a pedophile more apt to harm a child: at a public pool, where all children are under the supervision of lifeguards as well as parents, or sitting on his front porch, where a lone child may walk by?

If we're being logical, we ought to encourage RSOs to spend as much time as possible in public places.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rxpb
Back