846 users online (149 members and 697 guests)  

Websleuths News

sipping coffee at the Purple Rose Theatre

Unhappy FL - 19 year old man beats newborn and blames it on ADHD

Police have arrested a 19-year-old male city resident on charges of attempted first-degree murder in the beating of a crying weeks-old infant who now is hospitalized with skull fractures and blood on the brain.

Mikey Martinez, of the 300 block of East Weatherbee Road, Fort Pierce, is accused of repeatedly using his closed fist to hit the head of a 7-week-old male child at Martinez's home, according to police.

The unidentified infant suffered two skull fractures and his condition is unknown at this time, police said. The child is at St. Mary's Medical Center in West Palm Beach after being transferred there from St. Lucie Medical Center.

CT scans showed bleeding on the brain and that the infant was suffering from pneumonia. The child's mother, according to police reports, said Martinez held the infant's head under cold running water to stop the child's crying.

When Martinez was picked up for questioning by police he said, "I didn't mean to. I have ADHD ...," according to police reports.

Mikey Martinez, of 345 East Weatherbee Road in Fort Pierce, has been charged with attempted first degree murder and aggravated child abuse.

The male child, born August 15, was originally taken to a hospital in Port St. Lucie, but has since been flown to St. Mary's Hospital in West Palm Beach.

The child suffered two skull fractures, and his condition is unknown at this time.

According to the Fort Pierce Police Department, police were alerted to the alleged abuse on Wednesday, when officials from the St. Lucie Medical Center reported unusual injuries to the boy's head.

Martinez caused the injuries by punching the child in the head.
    Martinez is being held in the St. Lucie County Jail without bond.

Read more: http://www.cbs12.com/articles/child-...#ixzz1ZMUcPr5N

Fort Pierce police said they were called to St. Lucie Medical Center in reference to a child abuse case after the infant was brought to the emergency room with unusual injuries to his head.
    Police said a nurse at the hospital revealed that Martinez and his wife gave different stories about how their child was injured, but when Martinez's wife was alone with the hospital staff, she told them how it really happened.
    According to the arrest report, when police took Martinez into custody, he started to cry and said, "I didn't mean to. I have ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) and it's my first baby."

Read more: http://www.wpbf.com/news/29338424/de...#ixzz1ZMUqkGov

poor baby......

I thought ADHD couldn't focus on one subject for long before getting distracted? Repeated blows sounds to me like he was focused. ADHD is a disease, not an excuse.

It sounds like he has more problems with anger management and control than ADHD to me. That took a lot of rage.

West Palm Beach (Palm Beach County) Florida
    ugggghhhhh he makes me sick!

the beautiful SF Bay area
    I have ADHD and raised 3 boys with ADHD. They can be impulsive and lash out. They are emotionally younger than their years so this boy podrbably has the maturity level of a 15 or 16 year old. HOWEVER, that is a ridiculous excuse. Impulsive ADHD would be one hit .. not repeated. Besides that, I don't know any person with ADHD that thinks it's ok to go around hitting or beating people.

I guess that gets under my skin because I have had so many issues with schools, teachers etc over the years who think ADHD is just b/s and an excuse for kids to act up. I worked very closely with all of my kids. I spent enormous amounts of time and money to make sure that we had the best coping mechanisms in place and that they were medicated properly to give them the best opportunities to learn. All of them still "have" ADHD. One of my kids is in his mid 20's and still has impairments as far as work and interpersonal skills. He has a severe case and won't ever just "fit in" to the normal range. The other 2 have less severe cases and have learned strategies to offset their areas of weakness over the years.

What they have NEVER done and I would never allow them to do is use their impairment as an "excuse" for anything. Yep...it's harder for all of us to get tasks completed than it is for most people. It certainly does not mean that it is an excuse for any and every kind of bad behavior they want to put out there. The "I can't help it, I have ADHD" makes me want to scream!!!

End of my rant...thank you for listening!

From his facebook
    Photos from various cases (click on left-column names on the main photobucket page...they are in alphabetical order) http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm166/crankycrankerson/

"LIKE" CCA: Crankycrankerson Case Archives on facebook, and please share the link: https://www.facebook.com/pages/CCA-C...479258?sk=wall