1234 users online (193 members and 1041 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Kimberlyd125 is offline Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athletes.

CA Student Punished for Saying 'Bless You'

CA Student Punished for Saying 'Bless You'

http://nation.foxnews.com/war-christ...ying-bless-you

“Bless you.” For uttering those words, a student at William C. Wood High School in Vacaville, Calif. was punished this week by a teacher who claimed that the student disrupted his classroom.

Cuckovich decided to take 25 points off the student’s grade.
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

I agree with the teacher for teaching the students about the origin and absurdity of the saying. I feel the same way about it, but I don't take the time to educate others about it, I just ignore the absurdity. The only thing I do is say "excuse me" when I sneeze. I feel that is enough for any politeness on an involuntary bodily reaction and no one need acknowledge it unless I sneeze on them, which I never do.

However, I do not agree with taking any points or lowered grades for that. He is there to teach, he can pass the information along, and let them think about it for themselves.

Unless I have included a link, it is my opinion and only my opinion that I am expressing.

If I hear someone sneeze, I HAVE to say God bless you.
    It would drive me nuts not to.

As a matter of fact, if my DD does not say it when she hears a sneeze, I remind her.

Maybe it's just my upbringing.

I don't know why it would offend anyone. If you don't believe in God, just ignore the blessing.

And, I have NO CLUE how this would disrupt a classroom. I'm sure the student was just being polite.

IMO we could use a whole lot more polite kids.

O/T:
    I also would never answer an elder without saying "yes ma'am" or "no sir".
    It's a respect thing.

I realize that its a southern thing. When I hear a kid say "yes" or "no" to an adult it drives me crazy. Sounds so rude.
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberlyd125 View Post

As a matter of fact, if my DD does not say it when she hears a sneeze, I remind her.

I don't know why it would offend anyone. If you don't believe in God, just ignore the blessing.

And, I have NO CLUE how this would disrupt a classroom. I'm sure the student was just being polite.

O/T:
    It's a respect thing.

I realize that its a southern thing. When I hear a kid say "yes" or "no" to an adult it drives me crazy. Sounds so rude.

I'm an atheist and always say "bless you" and sometimes I even say "God Bless you" after someone sneezes. It's the way I was raised but I raised mine to do the same. IMO It's rude not to.

I think the teacher is a jackass

Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice

On a similar note-
    Channing Seideman was in the middle of an emergency medical technician class when she had an epileptic seizure. She said faculty members asked her to drop the class, saying the episode was too distracting to other students and there could be more.
    Seideman said it was a violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act and she’s filed a complaint against the school.

You're not allowed to have an emergency medical condition in an emergency medical class. How very liberal.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2011/09/2...sy-disruptive/

Quote Originally Posted by Linda7NJ View Post
    I'm an atheist and always say "bless you" and sometimes I even say "God Bless you" after someone sneezes. It's the way I was raised but I raised mine to do the same. IMO It's rude not to.

I think the teacher is a jackass
    I totally agree!
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

O/T:
    It's a respect thing.

We agree !!!

Every little bit of what makes our country wonderful is being taken away ,little by little. This is not the same country with the same values and freedoms that we had when I was growing up.

In protest I wish the students would sneeze and say "bless you" all day on Monday ,with their parents permission,of course.
    Always ,just my opinion

We never saw it coming .Please talk to your teen even if you don't think you need to !
    Far more teens commit impulsive suicide without chronic depression
    Miss U James

Quote Originally Posted by TrackerSam View Post
    On a similar note-
    Channing Seideman was in the middle of an emergency medical technician class when she had an epileptic seizure. She said faculty members asked her to drop the class, saying the episode was too distracting to other students and there could be more.
    Seideman said it was a violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act and she’s filed a complaint against the school.

You're not allowed to have an emergency medical condition in an emergency medical class. How very liberal.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2011/09/2...sy-disruptive/
    Always ,just my opinion

We never saw it coming .Please talk to your teen even if you don't think you need to !
    Miss U James

This was not at all how it was reported on our local news! It was said by the teacher in an interview that it had become a big game in the classroom. One student would say 'Bless you' then the sneezer would say 'thank you' then the other student would respond ' You are welcome' and so on, and this would go on and on. It could be a real sneeze or pretend.

Dropping points off the grade was a bad decision and has been reversed.

Interesting, fhc. I can see how that would definitely be disrupting the class and I can see how a bunch of kids would do it over and over and over just to be annoying. Perhaps the teacher was just at his wit's end. However, the taking points off of the grade was ridiculous. Glad that's been reversed.

I am one of those people who say bless you when someone sneezes. I do it with my family, friends, even strangers. Anytime I say it to a stranger, I wonder if they're going to make a snide comment to me....but so far nothing like that has happened. I used to teach and always said bless you to a student if he/she sneezed. Again, I always waited for the day that a parent would complain but it never happened either. It's a pretty sad state of affairs when we have to think about offending someone by using what I think is common courtesy.

Quote Originally Posted by davehead21 View Post
    Interesting, fhc. I can see how that would definitely be disrupting the class and I can see how a bunch of kids would do it over and over and over just to be annoying. Perhaps the teacher was just at his wit's end. However, the taking points off of the grade was ridiculous. Glad that's been reversed.

I am one of those people who say bless you when someone sneezes. I do it with my family, friends, even strangers. Anytime I say it to a stranger, I wonder if they're going to make a snide comment to me....but so far nothing like that has happened. I used to teach and always said bless you to a student if he/she sneezed. Again, I always waited for the day that a parent would complain but it never happened either. It's a pretty sad state of affairs when we have to think about offending someone by using what I think is common courtesy.
    I feel the same way when I say Merry Christmas.

I'm sure I will get chewed out one day for it. But oh well.

I dont say happy holidays and make sure the word Christmas is on the cards I send.
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

again,,,,life goes overboard and falls off the edge
    Just my opinions (and I have been wrong before)!

pinkfly

Quote Originally Posted by fhc View Post
    This was not at all how it was reported on our local news! It was said by the teacher in an interview that it had become a big game in the classroom. One student would say 'Bless you' then the sneezer would say 'thank you' then the other student would respond ' You are welcome' and so on, and this would go on and on. It could be a real sneeze or pretend.

That is how it was reported, and then it was updated to include the teacher explained how there is no God and that it was superstition to say Bless you.
    If it was really the bless you, thank you, you're welcome, Then the sneezer would have been scored lower as well.
    Goodness sakes, they are high schoolers....really??? this is the biggest disruption? And he's complaining about it?

Quote Originally Posted by fhc View Post

Maybe he's changing his story. Before he claimed the saying didn't make any sense anymore because it started back when they believed a sneeze released evil spirits .

http://www.fox40.com/news/headlines/...0,917363.story

“The blessing really doesn’t make sense anymore,” Cuckovich explained. “When you sneezed in the old days, they thought you were dispelling evil spirits out of your body. So they were saying, ‘God bless you,’ for getting rid of evil spirits. But today, what you’re doing really doesn’t make sense.”
    Sounds to me like he has an issue with the saying ,not the interruptions. That's an excuse ,IMO .
    It would be interesting to hear his political views,but that probably won't happen.
    Always ,just my opinion

Miss U James

I feel the same way when I say Merry Christmas.

I'm sure I will get chewed out one day for it. But oh well.

I dont say happy holidays and make sure the word Christmas is on the cards I send.
    Me too . Cussing is tolerated more than anything vaguely associated with certain religions these days.
    Always ,just my opinion

Miss U James

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast