Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WA - Larry & Carri Williams arrested for death of adopted daughter

IMO The Pearls and their book is not the problem.

While I don't agree with everything he says his words certainly do not advocate beating a child to death or starving a child to death. The blame lies at the foot of the parents.

Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Linda7NJ For This Useful Post:

http://www.q13fox.com/news/kcpq-stat...tory?track=rss

State reviewing adoption placement after child starvation cases
    January 25, 2012

"The state Department of Social and Health Services is now reviewing how adopted children are placed in Washington after nearly two dozen high-profile child starvation cases last year. In 2011, DSHS reports 11 cases of severe abuse of adopted children, all which included starvation. Many of the cases involved foreign adoptions, including the case of 13-year-old Hana Williams in Sedro-Woolley...."

and

"...Mary Meinig, of the Office of the Family and Children’s Ombudsman, read case files on each child starved and found striking similarities. "These parents were withholding food, beating the children, putting them outside, locking them in closets, locking them in bathrooms or not giving them bathroom facilities,” Meinig said. DSHS oversees foster-care placements and assigns caseworkers who follow up with the families, but adoptions are a different story. “Once that adoption is approved and closed by the order of the judge, the child welfare agency would no longer have responsibility. The parents who have adopted the child would be legally responsible for the care,” DSHS Assistant Secretary Denise Revels Robinson said.

In February, a work group of child experts ordered by Gov. ChristineGregoire will meet to discuss what more can be done.
    “We really want to learn from international adoption agencies what they do and what they look for and their follow-up after children are adopted here,” Meinig said. “It’s very serious business. We all promise these children a safe and loving family, and with these children we’ve failed to give them that and we need to know why...."

more at link

Also:

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/B...136843638.html

Bail increased for Sedro Woolley man in abuse death of daughter

"A judge has raised the bail amount of the man charged in the death of his adoptive daughter. Larry Williams' bail was increased to $500,000 on Friday. The bail of his wife, Carri Williams, remained at $150,000, and she remained free on bail. Skagit County Prosecutor Rich Weyrich said the amount was increased over Larry Williams' alleged attempt to contact his children via a third party -- a violation of the conditions of his release...."

More at link

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Missizzy For This Useful Post:

I have been following this trial and hoping for justice for Hana. Is anyone else following the trial?

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LynnM For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LynnM View Post
    I have been following this trial and hoping for justice for Hana. Is anyone else following the trial?
    Thanks for the reminder Lynn. Could you provide a link?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LCoastMom For This Useful Post:

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/today/...thiopian-girl/

Sadly, the trial did not get much press coverage nationally until the verdict was reached.

Larry Williams:
    ◾No verdict on Homicide by abuse (jury hung)
    ◾Guilty of Manslaughter in the 1st degree
    ◾Guilty of Assault of a Child in the 1st degree

Carri Williams:
    ◾Guilty of Homicide by Abuse
    ◾Guilty of Manslaughter in the 1st degree
    ◾Guilty of Assault of a Child in the 1st degree

Larry Williams will appeal according to his defense. No word yet on whether Carri will also appeal.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Saffie For This Useful Post:

They're scheduled to be sentenced today. Prosecutors are recommending 27 to 37 years for Carri Williams and 14 to 18 for Larry Williams.

http://missoulian.com/news/national/...6ec10bc13.html

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JoeFromLB For This Useful Post:

The judge didn't agree that Larry should get 14 years - so he gave him 27.75 years!!

Carri Williams was sentenced to the maximum of 37 years!!

http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/skag...se-case/nbbnS/
    ^^^^^ My posts are all IMO, JMO, MOO unless I have included a link^^^^^

14. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to princesspjs For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Linda7NJ View Post
    IMO The Pearls and their book is not the problem.

While I don't agree with everything he says his words certainly do not advocate beating a child to death or starving a child to death. The blame lies at the foot of the parents.
    I think any extreme this or that, be it religion or lifestyle is bad for people.

HMS Hood
    Mighty Hood
    Pennant Number: 51
    Motto: Ventis Secundis ("With Favourable Winds")
    May 15, 1920-May 24, 1941

16. The Following User Says Thank You to HMSHood For This Useful Post:

On top of the beautiful Appalachian Mountains.
    Poor baby girl.
    Don't murder in Kentucky! My thread here.

http://websleuths.com/forums/showthr...n+lisa+tackett

A proud happy people, we were here long before the white man came. Stalking along meadow paths, we were used to hunting every day. The rivers gave us fish, The woods even gave us deer and other wild game. Here upon this land, we built our homes, and raised our families. Love was free and natural, as we moved swiftly among the trees. This was a country, It was here that we lived for centuries. Oh I want peace with my soul again. Oh I, I want peace with my soul again. Everyday was new love,. Our village was filled with smiling faces.

All credit from the quote above, goes to Tom Bee, and XIT! The first Rock Native American band.

Thank you Tom!!

I have a friend who has adopted children and bio children. One of her adopted children is from a country similar to ethiopia, if not that country. I just can't recall exactly. By far, that child is unexpectedly and reportedly the most entitled, outgoing, disruptive and undisciplined of all of their children by a LONG shot. I would say selfish, aggressive, materialistic, manipulative, and similar compared to the other children. Which blows my mind considering you would think that a child coming from insanely deprived circumstances would be the opposite of that compared to an adopted US child--which they also have and he really is just the opposite. Also, you'd think a child raised in a horrid environment would have a heightened survival instinct that would cause them to stop behavior before it got to the point that the "punishment" was life threatening. I just don't get it!

jmo

Quote Originally Posted by Karmady View Post
    I have a friend who has adopted children and bio children. One of her adopted children is from a country similar to ethiopia, if not that country. I just can't recall exactly. By far, that child is unexpectedly and reportedly the most entitled, outgoing, disruptive and undisciplined of all of their children by a LONG shot. I would say selfish, aggressive, materialistic, manipulative, and similar compared to the other children. Which blows my mind considering you would think that a child coming from insanely deprived circumstances would be the opposite of that compared to an adopted US child--which they also have and he really is just the opposite. Also, you'd think a child raised in a horrid environment would have a heightened survival instinct that would cause them to stop behavior before it got to the point that the "punishment" was life threatening. I just don't get it!

jmo
    I agree. You just don't get it.

I hope your friend and the child(ren?) she adopted from Africa reach out for help and counseling. Many of these children have had very difficult lives and adapting to a very different culture and new family can be incredibly traumatic. Many adoptive parents underestimate the issues prior to adoption. Friends and acquaintances who don't understand the issues can make life more difficult for the children who need support.

Poor Hana and Immanuel Williams were starved, beaten and tortured by a couple who lacked any understand the issues and whose methods of "discipline" should never have been used on any child.

That said, I came here today to post an excellent article, IMO, on the Williams case and the difficulties faced by other Ethiopian adoptees in the USA that may help improve understanding in general.

http://www.slate.com/articles/double..._it_could.html

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Saffie For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123