809 users online (118 members and 691 guests)  


The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News


Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 119
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    86

    FL - Lake City, WhtMale Torso UP757, 16-19, near dumpster on Hwy 441, Jun'94

    Hello everyone,

    I would like to make my inaugural post here about an unidentified person whose remains (consisted of only a torso) was found at a BP Gas Station in along Hwy. 441 and Interstate 10 in Lake City, FL on June 5th, 1994. This is from the Columbia County (FL) Crime Stoppers page concerning the investigation:

    "On June 5, 1994, a woman discovered the torso of a body on the back side of a dumpster located at the BP Gas Station on the north side of Interstate 10 and US 441 in Lake City, Florida.

    Investigators with the Columbia County Sheriff’s Office were able to determine from smear and drag marks that the suspect had attempted to put black garbage bags, one of which contained the torso, into the dumpster but the torso slid out of the bag and left blood marks on the front of the dumpster. The suspect then dragged the torso over the asphalt to the back of the dumpster. The remaining garbage bags located in the dumpster contained an egg crate-type mattress that the suspect used to put down in a bath tub while he dismembered the victim and two Ginsu-type Tristar kitchen knives. There were also several green, flower shaped, nonskid, self-sticking pieces that were believed to have come from the bath tub where the victim was dismembered. Blood stained orange latex gloves were found in the dumpster.

    The victim is described as a young white male, approximately 16-22 years of age, possibly older. The estimated height of the victim is between 5’5 to 5’11. The hair on the back of what was left of the neck was light brown, grown out about ¼”, bleached on the top. The body weight is estimated to be between 170 and 205 pounds. The only identifying mark on the torso was a mole located on the lower right chest. The blood type of the victim is type A, unknown whether positive or negative."

    I have had theories on this case as well as others I have interviewed as part of a freelance project. This case has hit home to me being that this was a young individual who has yet to be identified but has alot of potential TO BE identified. I have also thought of this case as well, which I will link from Doe Network of a missing individual who went missing around this time. Since the discovery, only one comparison has been made and that was of a Gainesville boy, which came back negative. Here is the link and please help us with this as well as my local LE in Columbia County. Below is the link to Erik Patchin, a good match to the John Doe's description:

    http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/940dmfl.html
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 06-05-2013 at 12:33 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,489
    I'm presuming that LE/ME didn't do DNA testing of anything at the time of discovery. Did they do blood-typing of the blood smears and other items (to determine if it was just the victim's blood)?

    Even so, perhaps evidence was stored.

    Has LE done DNA/blood-typing testing of the torso and other items recovered from the dumpster scene since then?

    What were the circumstances of this woman finding the body?

    It would be helpful if you can provide any links to reports from and since the discovery of this JD.

    I do see that the timing and height/weight/age seem to be consistnet with your MP.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,489
    I was also wondering if fingerprints were taken from the JD, and if such were on file for your MP. (But surely that would have been checked by now)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazzie View Post
    I'm presuming that LE/ME didn't do DNA testing of anything at the time of discovery. Did they do blood-typing of the blood smears and other items (to determine if it was just the victim's blood)?

    Even so, perhaps evidence was stored.

    Has LE done DNA/blood-typing testing of the torso and other items recovered from the dumpster scene since then?

    What were the circumstances of this woman finding the body?

    It would be helpful if you can provide any links to reports from and since the discovery of this JD.

    I do see that the timing and height/weight/age seem to be consistnet with your MP.
    They do have the blood taken from the torso. It is on file in I believe at both the FDLE Crime Lab in Tallahassee and at The University of Texas. And most likely they did use the blood smears when they compared DNA with the missing Gainesville boy Danny Randall. However, I am not too positive they compared the blood/DNA samples with the JD and Erik. The following links I am providing is from the FDLE, Doe Network, Identifyus and CCCS on the John Doe. I am still somewhat unfamiliar with the circumstances of the MP I have pointed out as a possible match.

    http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/mcicsear...3134&case_nbr=

    http://doenetwork.org/hot/hotcase639.html

    https://identifyus.org/cases/757

    http://columbiacrimestoppers.net/unsolved.aspx

    I know there are also articles available via microfilm at Florida Gateway College in Lake City, FL and at George Smathers Library at the University of Florida-Gainesville from the Lake City Reporter. This is a very intense case that I believe should shine new light now that this case may have a potential identity to this victim, although CCSO has not been taking this much seriously (the case in general, mind you). But I think its a strong possibility that this murderer could have strewn his body all across Florida, and managed to get unlucky tossing the torso in the dumpster and hightailed it out of dodge.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazzie View Post
    I was also wondering if fingerprints were taken from the JD, and if such were on file for your MP. (But surely that would have been checked by now)
    And also no hands were found. it was just a torso with its male sexual parts attached. Circumstances were that a woman was walking her dog around the gas station when she discovered a "mannequin-looking but realistic" torso beside the dumpster. She had alerted the gas station owner who called CCSO, knowing what the grisly finding really was. The only thing found was blood smears, the ginsu knives used to cut the hands, legs and head off, and the bathroom anti-slipping mat (sorry had a mind fart). I am sure with at least the blood discovered, there has to be a great potential of identification.

    And I am sure there is fingerprint/dental records available for the MP.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,489
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonFutchLakeCityFL View Post
    They do have the blood taken from the torso. It is on file in I believe at both the FDLE Crime Lab in Tallahassee and at The University of Texas. And most likely they did use the blood smears when they compared DNA with the missing Gainesville boy Danny Randall. However, I am not too positive they compared the blood/DNA samples with the JD and Erik. The following links I am providing is from the FDLE, Doe Network, Identifyus and CCCS on the John Doe. I am still somewhat unfamiliar with the circumstances of the MP I have pointed out as a possible match.

    http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/mcicsear...3134&case_nbr=

    http://doenetwork.org/hot/hotcase639.html

    https://identifyus.org/cases/757

    http://columbiacrimestoppers.net/unsolved.aspx

    I know there are also articles available via microfilm at Florida Gateway College in Lake City, FL and at George Smathers Library at the University of Florida-Gainesville from the Lake City Reporter. This is a very intense case that I believe should shine new light now that this case may have a potential identity to this victim, although CCSO has not been taking this much seriously (the case in general, mind you). But I think its a strong possibility that this murderer could have strewn his body all across Florida, and managed to get unlucky tossing the torso in the dumpster and hightailed it out of dodge.
    Oh, that is more info, thank you! I don't have time right now to read all the links. But having the JD's DNA *seems* like it should be easy (someone must have missed this man, would be providing DNA to match, etc.) but I've read enough to know that it can be far from easy to solve cases.

    I think that part of the challenge is that many people don't know about current technologies...they may have given up on finding someone...maybe even the person doesn't have anyone left who cares...etc..

    I am just a novice sleuth here. Many expert sleuths here have contacts with LE and MEs, and much experience with sleuthing in general. I'm sure they will be taking a look and trying to help.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    86
    Thanks. Well right now I am a newbie as well. I am in the proces of emailing ME Mandy Moore with the local district Medical Examiners Office forwarding her the information on this case. She may forward it to LE, who knows. I am going to see what the next step is as far as forwarding this info after sending it to ME Moore.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,489
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonFutchLakeCityFL View Post
    And also no hands were found. it was just a torso with its male sexual parts attached. Circumstances were that a woman was walking her dog around the gas station when she discovered a "mannequin-looking but realistic" torso beside the dumpster. She had alerted the gas station owner who called CCSO, knowing what the grisly finding really was. The only thing found was blood smears, the ginsu knives used to cut the hands, legs and head off, and the bathroom anti-slipping mat (sorry had a mind fart). I am sure with at least the blood discovered, there has to be a great potential of identification.

    And I am sure there is fingerprint/dental records available for the MP.
    Thank you for the circumstance info about the woman.

    I thought I had editted my post after my own "brain warp" about fingerprints for the JD.

    But I wonder if they did (or are now able to take) fingerprints from the skin of the torso? And inside the gloves, etc.?

    I'm sorry...maybe some of these questions are answered in the links you've given...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,489
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonFutchLakeCityFL View Post
    Thanks. Well right now I am a newbie as well. I am in the proces of emailing ME Mandy Moore with the local district Medical Examiners Office forwarding her the information on this case. She may forward it to LE, who knows. I am going to see what the next step is as far as forwarding this info after sending it to ME Moore.
    Looks like you're doing great work, to me. Kudos to you!

    You've come to the right place. Just be patient and you will get some great advice and assistance here.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazzie View Post
    Thank you for the circumstance info about the woman.

    I thought I had editted my post after my own "brain warp" about fingerprints for the JD.

    But I wonder if they did (or are now able to take) fingerprints from the skin of the torso? And inside the gloves, etc.?

    I'm sorry...maybe some of these questions are answered in the links you've given...
    Well you know it is a possibility, but it is also another possibility that maybe some of the evidence could be missing now (like the Bundy vials that were just recently discovered at the Columbia county Courthouse "Kimberly Leach murder, different story I will not go into"). However, I know that the knives and the bath mats are still in evidence from the CCCS article I read. Skin I am sure they can as well. I am also sure when the body was fresh, they were able to get numerous plasma samples from the victim.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,489
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonFutchLakeCityFL View Post
    Well you know it is a possibility, but it is also another possibility that maybe some of the evidence could be missing now (like the Bundy vials that were just recently discovered at the Columbia county Courthouse "Kimberly Leach murder, different story I will not go into"). However, I know that the knives and the bath mats are still in evidence from the CCCS article I read. Skin I am sure they can as well. I am also sure when the body was fresh, they were able to get numerous plasma samples from the victim.
    Well, "being able to" and "actually doing it" may be 2 different things, for lots of reasons. I'm not up on standard procedures, back then or now.

    I'll read your links later...

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Krzyzewskiville
    Posts
    329
    When I saw Lake City FL I just had to peek at this thread. My mom was born in Columbia County and we made many trips down there to do family research at a small cemetary on Lake Jefferies Road. I have taken Hwy 441 up into Georgia and it can be a very spooky road at night.

    You are doing a great job with your sleuthing and I do wish you lots of luck in identifying your JD. With I-10 and I-75 crossing there in Lake City I could well have been a traveler.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke Fan4 View Post
    When I saw Lake City FL I just had to peek at this thread. My mom was born in Columbia County and we made many trips down there to do family research at a small cemetary on Lake Jefferies Road. I have taken Hwy 441 up into Georgia and it can be a very spooky road at night.

    You are doing a great job with your sleuthing and I do wish you lots of luck in identifying your JD. With I-10 and I-75 crossing there in Lake City I could well have been a traveler.
    I believe I know which one it is. I think its called Oak Lawn, next to the Purina Plant. I believe that is also where Kimberly Leach is buried after being murdered by Ted Bundy in '78. But thanks for the comments. We should have coffee if you are ever back in the area! LOL.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.
    Posts
    4,342
    Was the dismemberment a "hack job" or something like someone with certain experiences would do? The guy seems like the wrong age for a domestic type murder although that couldn't be totally ruled out. I assume the body must have only been there a short time. Who last saw the area before the corpse was there?
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.


    Stan Reid

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by STANDREID View Post
    Was the dismemberment a "hack job" or something like someone with certain experiences would do? The guy seems like the wrong age for a domestic type murder although that couldn't be totally ruled out. I assume the body must have only been there a short time. Who last saw the area before the corpse was there?
    From my understanding, this was just cold blooded murder. This was not a hack job, but as you said, it can't be ruled out. I would assume, from the state of the remains, that the body was probably dumped before the shop opened around 6AM or so, being there was blood. I also question the type of murder. If this was not Erik Patchin, this could have easily been a family member that did this, being that no concerned parents emerged at this time. The Patchin and the Doe link I believe has not been compared yet. As I had said earlier, I have submitted this possible link to the district ME. I hope to hear from her soon.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-31-2016, 01:26 PM
  2. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-09-2016, 10:33 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-04-2015, 10:41 AM
  4. FL FL - Lake City, WhtMale UP6246, 35-50, near I-10 rest area, Nov'78
    By JasonFutchLakeCityFL in forum The Unidentified
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 09-11-2014, 01:14 PM
  5. Identified! NY - Lake Ontario, Female torso HC 931, 15-25, Jul'84 - Nancy Scamurra
    By Ms Suzanne in forum Identified!
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-20-2012, 01:09 PM

Tags for this Thread