593 users online (81 members and 512 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Louisville jury to decide case of baby decapitated during birth

Louisville jury to decide case of baby decapitated during birth

Attorneys for a mother who watched as her premature baby was decapitated during delivery at Norton Suburban Hospital in 2006are asking a Jefferson County jury to award her more than $10 million in damages, saying she has nightmares reliving the incident.

http://www.courier-journal.com/artic...3/1001/rsslink

Wow, I've never heard of anything like this. I can't even imagine.

Oh. my. god. That poor, poor woman. This is just unimaginable.

later suturing the child’s head onto the body so she could hold him throughout the night and next day.
    Bless this woman and her family.

I know a photo catches a mili second of time, but that doctor's look says he really doesn't think he did anything wrong.

That poor mom...44 years after my mom lost a baby at birth, she will still tear up if she talks about "I never got to see him, or hold him...they just took him away"

OMG! That poor woman!

Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice

I can't even COMPREHEND how something like that could happen??!! Makes me ill to think about it.

I have a friend, a former respiratory therapist, who was present in the ER when such a thing happened. The medical personnel are also vastly affected by such tragedy, believe me.

Such a terrible tragedy for everyone involved in this.

Oh
    My
    God!

That poor woman. I can not even conceive of how this experience must continue to haunt her every waking and sleeping moment.

Just nightmarish.
    Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

mni wiconi - Lakota for Water is Life.

“I tried to dislodge the head from being trapped,” Bilotta said of the Feb. 24, 2006, delivery, telling jurors he tried moving the baby in different angles. “After several minutes ... I felt a give” and the head separated from the body.

http://www.courier-journal.com/artic...news|text|Home

some very graphic testimony follows that snip in the story.
    Very sad outcome for this mother. I do not see how she could ever recover from this.

I looked on the internet. There are a couple of cases where this has happened in the past. They all had to do with complicated deliverys of a premature baby. They all seemed to be within the 20-24 week gestation range. Just sharing it can be googled if anyone wants to have a look.

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    I have a friend, a former respiratory therapist, who was present in the ER when such a thing happened. The medical personnel are also vastly affected by such tragedy, believe me.
    Thanks for posting this.

I agree it's a sad situation for all involved.

Sometimes I think modern medicine is a double-edged sword. One hundred, heck even fifty, years ago this pregnancy would most likely ended in a miscarriage (sad too, but we seem to be able to wrap our brains around that).

And if the mother ~had~ carried to 21-24 weeks and the baby got "stuck"? That usually meant death for both the baby and the mother.

It sounds like medical personnel tried to warn this mother that the pregnancy was not viable. I think they also tried to give her "closure" by allowing her time with the deceased infant.

It kind of sounds like a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation.

I'm afraid the only winner here will be the lawyer (and I actually like lawyers!).

Quote Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
    Thanks for posting this.

I agree it's a sad situation for all involved.
    snip-snip

In the many years my friend worked at the hospital, years in which he no doubt saw many horrible sights, this was the only thing that affected him so much that he just had to talk about it.

Jury Deliberates Decapitated Baby Case

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- A local mother says she deserves $28 million in damages after her premature son was decapitated during delivery at Norton Suburban Hospital.

A jury is deliberating the civil trial after nine days of testimony.

The original amount mentioned was $10 million, but that was just for punitive damages.

http://www.wlky.com/r/29410569/detail.html

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast