WI WI - Mary Ellen Kaldenberg, 17, Kenosha, 14 Feb 1967

helpthevictims

Reaction score
In 1967 my cousin Mary Ellen Kaldenberg was murdered in Kenosha, Wisconsin on approx. Feb 9th. She was found bruttaly stabbed on Feb 14, 1967 in an old abandoned hearst near the Rail Road tracks. She had walked from her home to the store (a short distance) & was to return back home quickly as she was meeting her boyfriend for a date. There have been numerous theories, to include serial killers & possible suspects however to date this case has gone unsolved. It seems to have been put to the bottom of the pile, due to lack of evidence. The police detectives have worked diligently for many years to solve this & still nobody has been brought to justice. It has been 44 years since her murder. Her mother went to her grave never knowing who killed her only daughter. I decided to reach out to the public & create an awareness about this case & with any luck & the help of God & his Angels just maybe we can find out who killed this innocent young girl. If the murderer of Mary Ellen is still alive & reading this please clear your conscience & confess because if you don't when you do die God is going to punish you worse then you could ever imagine the authorities will.

I first read about this case in Getting Away With Murder. It's #169 on my top 210 Classic Unsolved Murder Cases list. I hope you can find some peace and satisfaction regarding this crime.

Stan, can you help by sharing any info you've discovered about Mary Ellen's disappearance? I'll start:

Missing from Kenosha, WI
Last reported seen on or about 2/9/67
Remains found in a vehicle near RR tracks
Remains discovered 2/14/67

The account I have says:

No one remembered seeing her at her supposed destination

She was apparently stabbed to death in the derelict hearse more than a mile from that destination

This vehicle was in an impound lot and had been there for many weeks before the crime

The victim was fully clothed with the exception of her shoes that had been removed and placed next to her body

She had not been sexually interfered with

A slab of broken concrete was placed across her abdomen, probably after death

One witness said he saw a blue 1962 Rambler near the crime scene on the night of the murder which has not been found or explained

That information is out of the book I have - Getting Away With Murder 1991 Bonus Books by Ed Baumann and John O'Brien - which has a chapter on the case. The account I have says:

No one remembered seeing her at her supposed destination

She was apparently stabbed to death in the derelict hearse more than a mile from that destination

Do we know what she was wearing when she left to go to that destination? Do we know how far the derelict hearse is from her home? I.e., do we think she got to her destination and was taken from there, or was she lured or taken from a different spot along her route to the shop?

This vehicle was in an impound lot and had been there for many weeks before the crime

Do we know if the impound lot was locked or secured in some way? Who had access to the lot, who might have known there was a hearse there?

The victim was fully clothed with the exception of her shoes that had been removed and placed next to her body

She had not been sexually interfered with

A slab of broken concrete was placed across her abdomen, probably after death

Shoes next to body (situated how?) + slab of concrete over abdomen + lack of sexual abuse seem to equal a very unique signature. If slab of concrete is accurate--what kind/composition of concrete, how thick, and does this match other crimes in this timeframe? Where did concrete come from; road work or ????

One witness said he saw a blue 1962 Rambler near the crime scene on the night of the murder that has not been found or explained

Near the crime scene = near the impound yard where the hearse was, I guess?

Stan, thanks again for tracking what we know about what happened to Mary Ellen.

Still mind-boggled at the notion of the body being found in an old hearse.

And that apparently the murder took place inside that vehicle... If she had been murdered elsewhere and brought to the impound site, seems there would be evidence showing that. So she was led there, forcibly or not, entered the vehicle willingly or not, and was apparently murdered inside it.

Help us out here, Mary Ellen. What happened to you?

All from this single source:

She was wearing a green sweater, black stretch pants and a red ski jacket and had been stabbed through the upper garments.

The hearse was "more than a mile from the corner drugstore" which was 2 blocks from her home.

I don't think we know if she made it to the drugstore unless someone has some information that I don't.

The lot was locked up at night but the fence was such that it could be crawled under or climbed over so anyone could have gotten in there where this vehicle and others were kept.

It just says the shoes were "arranged neatly next to the corpse".

I don't know any other crimes in this region with the concrete slab but it supposedly came from a broken up sidewalk.

Yes, the Rambler was seen near the auto pound.

Wow, thanks everyone for assisting me so quickly and getting my info out there. My printer scanner isnt working so good & am struggling to link the articles I wanted to. Hope its not me :( Stan, thank you for your info: I was wondering what other crime scene regions you might have been referring to......and what year was the rambler? I really appreciate your help. Anything anyone may have is so appreciated. My Love & prayers to all the families of our victims, Tam

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82
Back