1316 users online (242 members and 1074 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Thanks, Cubby. I was just going to post Rachel Mellon. Bollingbrook, 1996. She was 13 with long brown hair.

ETA: Good point about the time of year she went missing. Here's her photo, anyway.

Last edited by bessie; 10-06-2011 at 12:57 AM. Reason: added photo
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

Quote Originally Posted by bessie View Post
    Thanks, Cubby. I was just going to post Rachel Mellon. Bollingbrook, 1996. She was 13 with long brown hair.

I added Rachel because she had long brown hair and would appear to be small, being so young. However, she went missing in January and I can't imagine it being easy to dig a grave when the ground is frozen, so she is probably a long shot.
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

Well it's a longshot but there is a missing person who was both small in stature and who had a ring with a blue stone. She went missing from Annapolis, Maryland in 1979 which is about 700 miles from Hammond and makes it an unlikely match in my opinion.

However it's worth a look, I think.

Name: Katherine O'Neil Anderson
    Height: 5'3"
    Jewelry: Silver ring with blue stone

I guess the ring was gold now that I look at the article again.....

For the complete description check out the Doe Network file:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/930dfmd.html
    Last edited by UncoolNegated; 10-06-2011 at 02:57 AM.

Wow. Most of my relatives live in Hammond or Whiting and have for generations. Some even lived right on that street! I know the area well.

This must be someone who has been missing for years. Thinking about the ring, my first thought was that it might be a class ring from a Catholic high school. I went to one of those, and our rings had the stone and then a cross over the stone. But then I figured that it would be pretty obvious it's a class ring and they didn't say so, plus why would it be on the pinkie finger? Unless it is an older person and the ring no longer fit on their ring finger. But then there's another kind of ring, a baby ring or one that a girl might get for her 1st Communion that could also have a cross and a stone. Those are especially common for young Hispanic girls to have.

Here's another article from the local newspaper:

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/l...cc76b3c44.html

Hammond is so easily accessible from the expressways and interstates that this could be anybody from a pretty large area, but I'm betting it's someone from the south side of Chicago or the Hammond/Whiting area itself.

Mendota isn't near Hammond, but she was wearing a ring with a blue stone:

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/..._veronica.html

I'm pretty sure the address is wrong in both reports. The address I come up with for the bait and tackle shop is 7025 Indianapolis Blvd near 170th St. It's not in the 1700 block, nor near 117th St. On a satellite view, the area looks similar to the news article. If the building has been abandoned for ten years, then the body has been inside since some time between 2001 and now. So, that narrows down the possibilities.

The remains could be those of a homeless woman or runaway who was squatting inside and possibly froze to death; or the victim of an assault and murder that took place inside the abandoned property. It's definitely not a site where you could bury a body.
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

Melinda Karen Creech
    Missing since September 5, 1979 from Anderson, Madison County, Indiana.
    Classification: Endangered Runaway
    The Doe Network:
    Case File 1297DFIN

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1297dfin.html
    A parole review date is set for July 21, 2012 for Fred Howard Coffey.

Coffey was convicted of the murder of 10 yr old Amanda Marie Ray, NC. He admitted to molesting 300 children.

Please write a letter on behalf of Amanda.

Suspect in the murders of:
    5 yr old Neely Smith, NC
    14 yr old Kathy Lynn Beatty, MD
    8 yr old Travis Shane King, VA

Possibly connected to the disappearances of:
    14 Yr old Tracy Anne King, PA
    11 yr old Sheila and 13 yr old Katherine Lyons, MD
    15 yr old Carolyn Majane, NJ

Write to:
    Chairman Charles L. Mann Sr.
    NC Post Release Supervision & Parole Commission
    P.O. Box 29540
    Raleigh, NC 27626-0540
    RE: Fred Howard Coffey, DOC# 0081135
    or send an email to parole@doc.state.nc.us
    http://justice4amanda.tripod.com/

Debra Jean Cole
    Missing since August 29, 1981 from Lebanon, Boone County, Indiana
    Classification: Non-Family Abduction
    The Doe Network:
    Case File 62DFIN•Age at Time of Disappearance: 12 years old
    •Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'3; 115 pounds
    •Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Dark blonde wavy, shoulder length hair; hazel eyes. Medium build. Medium Complexion.
    •Marks, Scars: Cole has a birthmark the size of a half-dollar on her ankle.
    •Clothing: Jeans and blue tennis shoes.
    •Dentals: Available
    •DNA: Available
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Circumstances of Disappearance
    Cole was last seen on August 29, 1981 at her home in Lebanon, Indiana. She did not take any of her belongings with her and had no travel plans.
    When Debra Jean Cole disappeared, there were rumors that she was pregnant. She was reported as a runaway on August 31, 1981.

Debra Jean's mother was living with her parents in Lebanon when her husband died in a truck crash in Arizona in 1969, leaving her to support herself and their four children on a waitress' salary. She and her children eventually moved in with Omer R. "Steve'' Beebout in his home on Lebanon's south side.

Beebout murdered Debra Jean's sister, Frances Annette Cole in 1983. He is also the prime suspect in the disappearance of Debra Jean Cole. Beebout reportedly was the last person to see her, at about 11.00, August 29.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/62dfin.html

Coffey was convicted of the murder of 10 yr old Amanda Marie Ray, NC. He admitted to molesting 300 children.

5 yr old Neely Smith, NC

Write to:
    P.O. Box 29540
    Raleigh, NC 27626-0540

Whiting and Hammond are 2 different towns I googled "Great Lakes Bait and Tackle" and came up with an address of 1718 Indianapolis Blvd in Whiting, not Hammond. the former owner-operator of the Whiting store passed away earlier this year.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/nwi...&pid=147661791

for whatever it is worth, neither IL nor IN is great for utilizing Namus for their UIDs so it won't surprise me if the story just fades away.

having said that, the fact there was a cross on the ring would probably rule out Lauren Spierer (Jewish), Promila Mehta-Paul (presumably Hindu), and maybe Robin Abrams (religion unclear, possibly Jewish).

at one time Whiting was hugely Polish although there has been a large influx of Hispanics in the general area (Whiting, Hammond, East Chicago) in the past 20 years or so.

hard to even speculate on who the deceased is without a time frame.
    Last edited by KateB; 05-16-2015 at 09:05 AM. Reason: repair url tag.

Quote Originally Posted by bessie View Post
    Lauren Spierer has been missing from Bloomington since June 3rd. She's very petite with long blonde hair, but hair color can change after death under certain conditions.
    Isn't Lauren Spierer Jewish?

5 yr old Neely Smith, NC

Write to:
    P.O. Box 29540
    Raleigh, NC 27626-0540

This is going to drive me nuts because there is a girl on the Doe site who was wearing a ring with a cross and a stone. Might have been a Jane Doe. Just wish I could remember the state!

5 yr old Neely Smith, NC

Write to:
    P.O. Box 29540
    Raleigh, NC 27626-0540

Quote Originally Posted by webrocket View Post
    Whiting and Hammond are 2 different towns I googled "Great Lakes Bait and Tackle" and came up with an address of 1718 Indianapolis Blvd in Whiting, not Hammond. the former owner-operator of the Whiting store passed away earlier this year.

for whatever it is worth, neither IL nor IN is great for utilizing Namus for their UIDs so it won't surprise me if the story just fades away.

having said that, the fact there was a cross on the ring would probably rule out Lauren Spierer (Jewish), Promila Mehta-Paul (presumably Hindu), and maybe Robin Abrams (religion unclear, possibly Jewish).

at one time Whiting was hugely Polish although there has been a large influx of Hispanics in the general area (Whiting, Hammond, East Chicago) in the past 20 years or so.

Good job! I did not come up with the Whiting address, though I did look around at that corner. Coincidentally, there is a bait shop at 7025. Since the other corner is in Whiting, I thought 7025 must be the one.
    Last edited by KateB; 05-23-2015 at 03:04 AM. Reason: repair url tag.
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

Quote Originally Posted by webrocket View Post

I wouldn't presume a person's religion by surname. My surname sounds Jewish, but I come from a Catholic family. When I visited Israel in 2005 and met my tour guide, he said that he was expecting that I would be Jewish based on my surname.

And although India is predominantly Hindu, there are plenty of Christians from India.
    Last edited by KateB; 05-16-2015 at 12:57 AM. Reason: repair url tag.

Quote Originally Posted by marycarney View Post
    I think it would be much to soon to be skeletonized - and from the article, there was recently a building on the site which is being demolished. And Hammond (almost Whiting) is a heckuva long way from Bloomington.
    i've actually used google map to see how far the distance was it's really not that far for someone driving in a car it's
    3 hours 44 mins
    208.1 mi - I-65 N

but guess it may also depends how fast someone drives as well

Here's an updated article that says the dig team will start their work tomorrow morning:

http://www.wgnradio.com/news/local/b...,2611816.story

It also says that the bones were found in what was likely the foundation area of the now-demolished building. I'm very interested to hear how long they've been there.

Going back to the ring on the pinkie finger... that doesn't necessarily mean it's a girl or a woman. It's not uncommon for a boy or man to wear a ring on his pinkie.

And an FYI about the Hammond/Whiting thing: Part of Hammond has the same zip code as Whiting, so something you search might come up as being in Whiting but it's actually physically in Hammond.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast