Identified! IN - Hammond, Bones found buried, gold ring, Oct'11 - Francine Carlson

CarlK90245

UID Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
...found near 117th and Indianapolis Boulevard.

The remains were found by a Michael Bender, who walking his dog on Wednesday afternoon. The dog dug up a finger bone with a gold ring still on it. Bender said the ring was small, and had a cross and blue stone.

"The skull was quite small in my opinion, although I've never seen a skull before," Bender said. "A young girl with long brown hair? A small girl or small woman."

Read More:
http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpp/new...mains-girl-skeleton-skull-ring-found-20111005

Indianapolis Blvd. is also US41. And literally a stone's throw from the Illinois state line. So MPs from both states should be considered.

Who might be missing in the area? A small skull with long brown hair? There is a substantial Hispanic community in that part of the city. Hmmm.........

Lauren Spierer has been missing from Bloomington since June 3rd. She's very petite with long blonde hair, but hair color can change after death under certain conditions.

I think it would be much to soon to be skeletonized - and from the article, there was recently a building on the site which is being demolished. And Hammond (almost Whiting) is a heckuva long way from Bloomington.

OMG my brother and his family live on Indianapolis BLVD in Hammond. I'm going to call him in the morning.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk

Stacy Peterson?

This town is about 40 miles from Bolingbrook, IL

Of the missing females on my list from Indiana, this woman from Munster IN is closest to Hammond.

Promila Daman Mehta-Paul
mehta-paul_promila.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/mehta-paul_promila.html

She might have a small skull. However, her hair is not long.

I have four woman on my list from Gary. However, none of them fit the description of long dark hair, or the circumstances don't fit (e.g., parental abduction).

Yeah, Dr. Mehta-Paul was shown on bank surveillance with short hair in her last sighting. You would be MORE likely to find a missing woman from Chicago, it's much closer than Gary to the discovery. I am cross-eyed from working on my thesis tonight or I'd stay up and search IL MPs.........

The building was reported to be empty for 10 years and it was a bait and tackle shop before that.

The owner of the dog seems to think the skull is a child or small woman. He said blond hair first and then switched it to brown. Like he might not be really sure of the color.He said it was long. Stacy Peterson was tiny.

Thanks, Cubby. I was just going to post Rachel Mellon. Bollingbrook, 1996. She was 13 with long brown hair.

ETA: Good point about the time of year she went missing. Here's her photo, anyway.

rachellastportrait.jpg

Thanks, Cubby. I was just going to post Rachel Mellon. Bollingbrook, 1996. She was 13 with long brown hair.

I added Rachel because she had long brown hair and would appear to be small, being so young. However, she went missing in January and I can't imagine it being easy to dig a grave when the ground is frozen, so she is probably a long shot.

Well it's a longshot but there is a missing person who was both small in stature and who had a ring with a blue stone. She went missing from Annapolis, Maryland in 1979 which is about 700 miles from Hammond and makes it an unlikely match in my opinion.

However it's worth a look, I think.

Name: Katherine O'Neil Anderson
Height: 5'3"
Jewelry: Silver ring with blue stone

I guess the ring was gold now that I look at the article again.....

For the complete description check out the Doe Network file:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/930dfmd.html

Wow. Most of my relatives live in Hammond or Whiting and have for generations. Some even lived right on that street! I know the area well.

This must be someone who has been missing for years. Thinking about the ring, my first thought was that it might be a class ring from a Catholic high school. I went to one of those, and our rings had the stone and then a cross over the stone. But then I figured that it would be pretty obvious it's a class ring and they didn't say so, plus why would it be on the pinkie finger? Unless it is an older person and the ring no longer fit on their ring finger. But then there's another kind of ring, a baby ring or one that a girl might get for her 1st Communion that could also have a cross and a stone. Those are especially common for young Hispanic girls to have.

Here's another article from the local newspaper:

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake/hammond/article_fe98f135-0519-50a2-9a9a-f2ecc76b3c44.html

Hammond is so easily accessible from the expressways and interstates that this could be anybody from a pretty large area, but I'm betting it's someone from the south side of Chicago or the Hammond/Whiting area itself.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zen1974
Back