BetteDavisEyes

Fasten your seatbelts...
Reaction score
'Sexy Anorexia' Halloween Costume Controversy

Costume Features Measuring Tape Ribbon Belt, Skeleton-Print Bodysuit

By Katie McLaughlinCNN

POSTED: Friday, October 7, 2011

UPDATED: 7:55 am EDT October 7, 2011

(CNN) -- It's hard to imagine a deadly disorder being translated into a Halloween costume, let alone a sexy Halloween costume. Just when you thought it couldn't get any more inappropriate than sexy Cookie Monster, a costume has come along that reaches a whole new level of just plain wrong.

Anna Rexia.

The Anna Rexia costume features a black bodysuit style dress with a glittery, silk-screened skeleton print, bone headband, heart name tag, measuring tape ribbon belt, and the most shocking accessory of all -- a matching measuring tape choker! We're not sure if the costume manufacturer intended for the choker to be a pun.

Critics say the costume makes a joke out of a deadly eating disorder. According to the National Eating Disorders Association, anorexia has the highest mortality rate of any mental illness. Up to 10 million females and one million males in the U.S. suffer from diseases such as bulimia and anorexia nervosa...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/halloween/29415398/detail.html

I don't get it. Is the costume supposed to be sexy or the girl wearing it? 'Cause to me, that is not an attractive or even cute costume. Was it originally intended to make a statement about how bad anorexia is?

I just think that is a dumb idea for a costume. JMO

Every Halloween it seems we're presented with at least one costume that sets a new standard for bad taste.

What's next? A cancer patient costume?

Any retailer who would carry this thing is not getting my Halloween dollars, that's for sure.

Not funny. Not tasteless. Deadly on so many levels. The shame and struggle w a-n, is almost inpenatrable. If thats not a word, o well. To help these sufferers, has taken me years and I am not an expert. I have sponsored an anorexic for 13 years. She would be devestated-and I dont blame her.

Some people are just clueless. I think even more stupid than the person who designed this costume is the person who actually pays for it and wears it. That would probably be a mental disorder in itself.

As the article states - the costume is from 2007, has been discontinued, and if you can still find it, it's sold by "scant few vendors". It was a slow news day at CNN. Those getting upset at it now are getting all worked up for nothing.

As the article states - the costume is from 2007, has been discontinued, and if you can still find it, it's sold by "scant few vendors". It was a slow news day at CNN. Those getting upset at it now are getting all worked up for nothing.

Maybe a slow news day in the Motor City: The link was on a local TV station website ;)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back