FL FL - Immokalee, HispMale 565UMFL, 21-35, stabbed, gold front tooth, May'80

Bobby88

Whatever happened to Johnnie Herrera?
Reaction score
This is a really bizarre case.

http://doenetwork.org/cases/565umfl.html

Unidentified Hispanic Male

• [*]The victim was discovered on May 18, 1980 in Immokalee, Collier County, Florida.
Vital Statistics

• [*]Estimated age: 20 - 30 years old
    [*]Approximate Height and Weight: 5'7"; 125-130 lbs
    [*]Distinguishing Characteristics: Shoulder length, thick black hair; brown eyes. Black mustache. No tattoos noted.
    [*]Dentals: Has gold tooth in upper front of mouth.
    [*]Clothing: Button down shirt with flower print, tan trousers, white undershirt, blue socks, brown dress boots. No jewelry.
Case History
The victim was located behind Moody's Apartments on S. 1st Street, approximately 150 yards from the El Lucero Bar, near old food stamp office in Immokalee, FL.

Investigation revealed the victim was at the El Lucero the night of May 17th, and was flashing a large sum of money. Witnesses said sometime after 7:30 pm a female by the name of Sheila went outside with the victim. Sheila admitted to Detectives that she robbed and fatally stabbed the victim. Sheila was arrested for robbery and homicide, she went to trial and was found not guilty on both charges.

He was most likely an illegal immigrant.

I've been unable to find any information about "Sheila" or the trial itself. I agree that this man was probably here illegally and that could very well be why no ever came forwardto claim him.

I find it difficult to believe that such an unusual murder case never made the local newspapers at the time.

Adding link to DOE profile

http://doenetwork.org/cases/565umfl.html

565UMFL1.jpg

565UMFL.jpg

I'm guessing it's probably not someone from California.

I have a relative who is a teacher in Immokalee. There is a large migrant worker community there. A lot of them live in a neighborhood, and it's actually called Farmworker Village or something like that. They mostly come from Mexico or Central America or Haiti, etc. Like little Adji Desir. His family was from Haiti and they lived in the farmworker's village in Immokalee.

I doubt this man was involved in the Mariel boatlift if the police were told by 'Sheila' he was from Mexico. But an interesting coincidence is that May '80 was the largest month for people coming over to the US from Cuba with 86,488 people arriving, 69% of all refugees that made it across.

Semis to be differing stories about it being Sheila or additional people committing the robbery. So who were all these people? Where are they now? Is there any biological evidence such as a bloody knife that DNA could be extracted from?

“Decedent was robbed by several individuals who were later apprehended and sentenced. Decedent was most likely an illegal immigrant. Decedent may have a wife and child in Mexico.Decedent may have last name of "Rodriguez".”

So...I did a little newspaper archive search and found some information as to why Sheila was found not guilty, but IMO, she's as guilty as the people who stabbed him.

• Sheila meets the decedent, who's possible name is Chavo. They have a few beers at the El Lucero and decide to go on a ride in Sheila's car.
  • She drives him to a dirt road, where they start kissing, Chavo asks if they can have sex. She declines and he gets out of the car, unaware that Sheila's brother and his friends are outside.
  • As he walks away, the three men tackle him and began to beat him. Sheila drives away and notices one of the men with a knife.
  • Sheila comes home, and her accomplices come home later. The money is divided and Sheila is threatened by her brother and he tells her to keep quiet.
  • Sheila comes by to where she had last seen Chavo and finds his body.

Back then you have to wonder if there were even records of him being brought in the country by the employer under an agriculture worker visa. If so, I am sure the records were available then but, by now they've long since been destroyed. There could be notes in the case file but who knows if the man used his real name. It sounds like he went by a nickname.

But I dont get how she was acquitted, she knew what she was doing. I know if he really did have a wife and child in Mexico, that he shouldn't have asked her for sex, but I'm sure his kid probably has grown up wondering what happened to his father.

I doubt this man was involved in the Mariel boatlift if the police were told by 'Sheila' he was from Mexico. But an interesting coincidence is that May '80 was the largest month for people coming over to the US from Cuba with 86,488 people arriving, 69% of all refugees that made it across.
I think he may have told people stuff at the bar, or maybe told Sheila.

If the information's correct, he went by Chavo Rodriguez. That's a cool name, IMO.

Chavo is a boy or kid, in Mexican slang. Or Cuban and Puerto Rican slang for money. Assuming you want to believe Google, but it turned up a bunch of places that said the same thing.

There seem to be several rappers and professional wrestlers who use Chavo as their nickname or stage name.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Circumstances of Recovery- Decedent was robbed by several individuals who were later apprehended and sentenced. Decedent was most likely an illegal immigrant. Decedent may have a wife and child in Mexico. Decedent may have last name of "Rodriguez".

Height 5' 6"(66 inches), Estimated

Weight 130 lbs, Estimated

Hair Color- Black
Head Hair Description- Shoulder length, thick black hair.
Body Hair Description--
Facial Hair Description- Black mustache.
Left Eye Color- Brown
Right Eye Color- Brown
Eye Description- Brown eyes

Clothing- Button down shirt, tan trousers, white undershirt, blue socks, brown dress boots. On the Body

Original-4.jpeg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back