Identified! CO - Montrose Co., 'Windy Point Jane Doe' Fem 642UFCO, 35-40, scoliosis, Jul'94 - Susan Hoppes

JupiterAmmon

Reaction score
Unidentified White Female
The victim was discovered on July 7, 1994 in Montrose County, Colorado
Estimated Date of Death: 6-12 months prior
Windy Point Jane Doe
Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 35-40 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'4-5'7"
Distinguishing Characteristics: Strands of reddish brown hair were located. She suffered from temporomandibular joint syndrome, and her spine showed signs of scoliosis.
Clothing: Part of a woman's black vinyl belt was discovered near the bones. It was the only clothing item found.
Dentals: Available. Some of the teeth were missing because they'd been pulled by a dentist, while others fell out after death. She had a gold molar and full-cast gold crown, as well as multiple dental artifacts.
DNA: Pending
Case History
The victim was located by hikers near the Smokehouse Campground on U.S. Forest Service Road 402 (Divide Road) on July 7, 1994. The area is commonly called "Windy Point".
The skull was delivered to authorities in a plastic spring water bucket. It showed marked mummification with adherence of tissue to both the internal and external portions of the skull and about the base and face. Searchers recovered an intact humerus and intact scapula, with mummified tissues. There were also portions of spinal cord and the right pelvis, and multiple bone fragments.
No antemortem trauma could be identified based on the existing remains. The remains sustained carnivore damage.
No identification was found near the remains.
The medical examiner whose officer conducted the forensic facial reconstruction from her skull found no useful trace evidence. The cause and manner of death are forensically undetermined, but some law enforcement officers suspect foul play. Investigators believe the woman was slain at another location, brought to Windy Point possibly in the fall of 1993 and then covered with tree limbs to conceal her whereabouts.

Investigators
If you have any information about this case please contact:
Montrose County Sheriff's Office
970-252-4023
Or
Montrose County Coroner
Dr. Thomas Canfield
970-249-7755
You may remain anonymous when submitting information.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought there was already a thread for her, but apparently not.

Here's the other reconstruction. I had thought that the first recon had to have been the work of a bad forensic artist, but this one portrays the same look. Maybe she really did have a very unusual face with a long flat nose, no cheekbone definition, and almost no brow overhang.

2438058280045078242S600x600Q851.jpg

I thought there was already a thread for her, but apparently not.

Here's the other reconstruction. I had thought that the first recon had to have been the work of a bad forensic artist, but this one portrays the same look. Maybe she really did have a very unusual face with a long flat nose, no cheekbone definition, and almost no brow overhang.

2438058280045078242S600x600Q851.jpg

I was under the impression that the reconstructions were the same, but with different hairstyles. The reconstruction looks very odd, I can't imagine someone looked like that in real life. I think it would be helpful if perhaps they released a new reconstruction.

The reconstruction makes it hard to find anyone who remotely resembles her and, for some reason, this time frame wasn't an active one for MP's. The closest one I could find was Ginger Hudson (Doe case file 1161DFKS) from KS:

Date Of Birth: May 29, 1960
Age at Time of Disappearance: 33 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'4"; 148 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Auburn hair; hazel eyes.
Marks, Scars: Surgical scar inside bottom lip.
Clothing: White shirt, dark colored shorts.

Her eyes are downturned at the outside like the reconstruction. Of course, she has a very skimpy Doe and NAMUS file, no DNA, no dentals, no physical description that might match with this Doe's bone issues.

When I saw this reconstruction, I instantly thought of Frances Morales (even though the stats are off)

<removed defunct link>

She does look like Frances Morales in a general sense, but the facial dimensions are way off. Her nose is much shorter and the facial height from eyes to mouth are much shorter.

She does look like Frances Morales in a general sense, but the facial dimensions are way off. Her nose is much shorter and the facial height from eyes to mouth are much shorter.

I agree, Carl. The lips are far too wide and the nose is too narrow to be Frances...

Looks like they did a new facial reconstruction! Thank God... the old ones give me the creeps. I tried to see if there was a new press release or anything but couldn't find any other new information.

642UFCO_2.jpg

I wish I could find a larger version.

Wow, new recon actually looks like a real person that someone could look like. Some of these older reconstructions one comes across look like no person on earth but just a basic plasticine face... I understand it's hard, but sometimes a sketch or a basic description has to be better than a truly bad reconstruction - if someone fit a description but not a bad recon that doesn't look like anyone, they might be ignored as a potential match...

Patricia Karlberg has the same look. She shares the look and stats. The only thing is the distance and lack of circumstances to look at.

<removed defunct link>

Obviously there's a good chance the last seen date for Patricia Karlberg is inaccurate... but if it is accurate I think it's unlikely she would end up in CO and in that state of decomp in only 2 months or so. It would have been pretty chilly up there too.

Lori looks potentially good - the only thing I noticed is the difference in hair which is obviously not a huge deal at all because it changes so easily. I also think it's interesting they describe Windy Point Doe as having reddish-brown hair but the hair in the early reconstructions looks very blonde to me.... not that those reconstructions seem very reliable but I wonder what their definition of reddish-brown is.

I was thinking the same thing about the hair. Her family last saw her nearly a year before her Date LKA. I don't know when the photo was taken. It looks like a mugshot, so maybe there was an arrest that is the basis for the LKA info. She doesn't look like a natural blonde, so perhaps there was time for her hair to revert to its natural color (which appears to be reddish light brown based on the roots).

They are going to be putting her in NamUs.

Colorado Bureau of Investigations COLD CASE FILES Jane Windy Point

<removed defunct link>

Photos - <removed defunct link>

In this July 11, 2013 photo Montrose County Sheriff's Office investigator David G. Harrison points out some differences between two facial reconstructions of the Windy Point Jane Doe, whose skeleton remains were found in 1994 during a news conference at the sheriff's office in Montrose, Colo. The older forensic reconstruction is on top. The lower series of photos show a reconstruction completed in May

*Edit - did print screen; attached image #3.

Attached pic #1 came from <removed defunct link>

Attachments

• inline_981188236914.jpg
    inline_981188236914.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 28
  • web_full_878464128937.jpg
    web_full_878464128937.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 40
  • 1994WindyPointJaneDoe.jpg
    1994WindyPointJaneDoe.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 299
Unidentified White Female
The victim was discovered on July 7, 1994 in Montrose County, Colorado
Estimated Date of Death: 6-12 months prior
Windy Point Jane Doe
Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 35-40 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'4-5'7"
Distinguishing Characteristics: Strands of reddish brown hair were located. She suffered from temporomandibular joint syndrome, and her spine showed signs of scoliosis.
Clothing: Part of a woman's black vinyl belt was discovered near the bones. It was the only clothing item found.
Dentals: Available. Some of the teeth were missing because they'd been pulled by a dentist, while others fell out after death. She had a gold molar and full-cast gold crown, as well as multiple dental artifacts.
DNA: Pending
Case History
The victim was located by hikers near the Smokehouse Campground on U.S. Forest Service Road 402 (Divide Road) on July 7, 1994. The area is commonly called "Windy Point".
The skull was delivered to authorities in a plastic spring water bucket. It showed marked mummification with adherence of tissue to both the internal and external portions of the skull and about the base and face. Searchers recovered an intact humerus and intact scapula, with mummified tissues. There were also portions of spinal cord and the right pelvis, and multiple bone fragments.
No antemortem trauma could be identified based on the existing remains. The remains sustained carnivore damage.
No identification was found near the remains.
The medical examiner whose officer conducted the forensic facial reconstruction from her skull found no useful trace evidence. The cause and manner of death are forensically undetermined, but some law enforcement officers suspect foul play. Investigators believe the woman was slain at another location, brought to Windy Point possibly in the fall of 1993 and then covered with tree limbs to conceal her whereabouts.

Investigators
If you have any information about this case please contact:
Montrose County Sheriff's Office
970-252-4023
Or
Montrose County Coroner
Dr. Thomas Canfield
970-249-7755
You may remain anonymous when submitting information.

BBM
Distinguishing Characteristics: Strands of reddish brown hair were located.

I looked at a lot of the MP's mentioned; most have DNA in NamUs; so that's awesome.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmdigital
Back