Topeka Kansas Considers Decriminalizing Domestic Violence

JeannieC

Reaction score
Topeka Kansas Considers Decriminalizing Domestic Violence

In Topeka, Kansas city officials are considering a controversial move to decriminalize domestic violence in the city after the Shawnee County government offloaded domestic violence enforcement on to city governments. Cities facing budget cuts and lost revenue are turning to many different cost-cutting measures, but this is perhaps the most extreme. Already, the county government has turned away at least 30 domestic violence cases.

Ironically, the age of austerity may provide an out for people who abuse their wives, girlfriends, and children, but if the federal government gets its way, decriminalized marijuana will become a thing of the past. Apparently putting taxdollars to work locking up pot smokers and hippies is more important than protecting battered women.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai...-considers-decriminalizing-domestic-violence/

I can't even discuss this at this time. Are they insane?

How completely and utterly reprehensible. The people in Kansas that elected these morons should be turning out en masse to start the recall process and replace them with thinking human beings.

This is an outrage !

Kan.'s capital city repeals domestic violence law

TOPEKA, Kan. (AP) — Over the past month, one by one, people suspected in domestic battery cases in northeast Kansas have been set free with no charges against them. Prosecutors say they're overwhelmed with felonies and, faced with budget cuts, can't afford to pursue the cases.

Busted budgets have forced tough decisions by governments and law enforcement officials nationwide, but the Shawnee County district attorney's move to stop investigating domestic abuse and other misdemeanor cases has angered victims' advocates who say austerity has gone too far.

The advocates are also outraged by the response from the capital city of Topeka, where the City Council and mayor repealed the city's domestic abuse law Tuesday night — a move designed to ensure the city wouldn't be stuck with the bill for prosecuting such cases.

"I absolutely do not understand it," Rita Smith, executive director of the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence, said after the vote. "It's really outrageous that they're playing with family safety to see who blinks first. People could die while they're waiting to straighten this out

http://www.centurylink.net/news/rea...ass&action=2&lang=en&_LT=UNLC_NKNWU00L2_UNEWS

I really didn't believe they would seriously consider going through with this. If they do, shame on them and I hope every, single one of them will be voted out next election.

Horrific.

Yes apparently the 10% budget cut for 2012 is what kicked this into gear ! Well instead of whining now about how much it costs to prosecute domestic case, he will be complaing of how much it cost's to prosecute murder charges instead because he's an ignorant man who doesnt understand one dang thing about domestic viloence

So I guess now in Kansas you can beat the carp out of your significant other and get away with it ! WTF ...

I think a lot of cities are in financial binds with no way by law to raise revenue.

I'd be more sympathetic with Topeka's predicament had they chosen to de-criminalize non-violent crimes instead of this.

Well, I'll tell ya' that domestic violence perpetrators actions escolate. So, rather than attempting to nip the abuse before it gets too bad, in a few months they'll have more murder felony cases to deal with. Oh, and a missing abuse victim to search for.

Then see how their 10% budget cut goes. :maddening:

:mad:
JMHO
fran

http://www.startribune.com/nation/131535748.html

Repeal of Topeka, Kan., domestic violence ordinance leaves suspects free, victims scared

TOPEKA, Kan. - Suspects in Topeka domestic violence cases are leaving jail without being charged, and advocates for abuse survivors say victims are growing more scared amid a public squabble over who should pay to prosecute the crimes.

...................... snip .............................

The intent is to force the county's district attorney to back away from a budget-driven decision to stop prosecuting misdemeanors committed inside the city limits — including domestic assault and battery not involving a weapon.

........................ snip ...............................

Topeka has had at least 35 reported incidents of domestic battery or assault since early September. With those cases not being pursued, as of Friday, 18 people jailed have been released without facing charges, according to Topeka police

<<<<<<<<<<<<<< full article at link >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This is reprehensible. All the women (and men) who are suffering through abuse and murdered each day and these "lawmakers" want to give them a pass.

As a victim of spousal abuse I'm in shock. I lost a friend to spousal abuse. It was and is a hard thing to deal with. I think of her two girls growing up without their mother and always, always remembering the day their father sent them out of the house and they heard the gun shots that took their mother's life.

By the way, he never spent a day in jail. Shot himself and supposedly lost all memory of the event. Remembers everything else and lives on a NC beach now.

Because he has no memory of killing his wife he can't stand trial? He knew what he was doing when he did it.

Now we have lawmakers saying its too expensive to handle these cases? If they want to make money why not levy fines everytime they go out on abuse calls?

moo

This brings so much sadness to my heart :( It reminds me that the year is 2011, but we haven't really changed from barbaric ways.

I can't even believe this is true.....unfortunately I know it is.

If they are planning on charging the perps with aggravated assaults etc and locking them up, I am OK with it.

I have a hard time with crimes being characterized as DV or Child abuse etc. IMO it implies some kind of permissiveness for the violence between the parties because of a relationship.

If someone walked up to someone on the street and beat/choked/kicked/threatened with a handgun/starved/tortured a stranger, they would be locked up immediately do not pass go.

Some how, when it involves a couple, a parent/child etc, it is something less because it falls under a "domestic."

My friend who experienced a number of incidents involving her husband (while they were in the process of divorcing) was given the option of having him taken out of the home and arrested.

Why is this? Why was she given a choice? It was a pretty black and white situation. Further, we are dealing with victims who have a kind of Stockholm Syndrome from the length of time they have suffered and have hidden it, typically.

In otherwords, call it what it is and take whatever action you would take if it were stranger on stranger. JMVHO.

If they are planning on charging the perps with aggravated assaults etc and locking them up, I am OK with it.

I have a hard time with crimes being characterized as DV or Child abuse etc. IMO it implies some kind of permissiveness for the violence between the parties because of a relationship.

If someone walked up to someone on the street and beat/choked/kicked/threatened with a handgun/starved/tortured a stranger, they would be locked up immediately do not pass go.

Some how, when it involves a couple, a parent/child etc, it is something less because it falls under a "domestic."

My friend who experienced a number of incidents involving her husband (while they were in the process of divorcing) was given the option of having him taken out of the home and arrested.

Why is this? Why was she given a choice? It was a pretty black and white situation. Further, we are dealing with victims who have a kind of Stockholm Syndrome from the length of time they have suffered and have hidden it, typically.

In otherwords, call it what it is and take whatever action you would take if it were stranger on stranger. JMVHO.

I totally agree! IF they are planning on arresting them on assault and handling it the same as any other assault I can go along with it but if they aren't going to do anything then its wrong in every sense of the word.

I know LE tends to ignore domestic violence in some areas. If they had not ignored a protective order my friend would still be alive. They ignored it so much they gave him a gun permit the day after she filed the order.

moo

Warning, sarcasm follows:

Perhaps they are that short of money. Perhaps they do need to take cost saving measures. I can think of several more "decriminalizations" that could make life easier there. How about decriminalizing assaults on a public government offical? Disagree with a new law or public policy? Do what abusers would have done when they didn't like what was for supper or how the woman acted when she was out in the public. Beat the snot out of them. Don't like how your lawmaker is smoozing with campaign contributors? Douse them with gasoline and set them afire. Don't like some of the frivulous spending? Treat them like an abusive hubby might treat a wife who bought a new dress that hubby thought was too expensive or provocative.

Perhaps then they will understand when they have to make a choice between life as they know it and their safety, then maybe they will get a glimpse of what an abused wife goes through.

I do agree with Believe that if they wanted to turn them into assault charges, and follow through on prosecution just like any other prosecution, then maybe it would be ok.

But I am afraid that what is happening is they want to get away from justice dept contributions to supportive services for abused women. And to not have to take weapons from abusers, and to not have to put monitors on stalkers. Yeah those are cost savers. But their state population is going to go down. And quickly. Won't that affect their tax base?

I agree. But sadly, that is not what they are attempting to do. It seems to me they are going to sweep these DV cases under the rug. I cannot even begin to articulate my feelings about this.

BTW, there are two threads on this subject:

Kan.'s capital city repeals domestic violence law - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Perhaps we can merge?

That's where the Westboro Baptist Church is based in. Fred Phelps has a history of domestic violence.

Okkkkk. So in other words it is a crime to go up to a stranger in a bar and hit them. But if the person is their wife, go for it?

Does that mean if a man kills his wife that that isn't a crime? Because domestic murders are a form of domestic violence.

I can just see this scenario happening. A guy and his wife in a bar and he hauls off and hits her. Two guys pull him off her, and he gets hit. The two guys could be prosecuted, but he couldn't?

This news just blows my mind!

Do they not understand this penny-wise and pound foolish mentality?!

May God help the victims of DM in that area!

I would question what is going on behind closed doors with some of those officials that they seem to give so little concern for victims of domestic abuse. This is a serious situation, many times life threatening and most of the time to women and children. Are the lives of the women and children in their area of no importance? This is very upsetting. The people in that area need to get busy and vote every single one of those people out of office.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morbidlittlemind
Back