GUILTY Canada - Amber Kirwan, 19, New Glasgow, NS, 9 Oct 2011 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazel

Reaction score
CBC News -- Last Updated: Oct 10, 2011 1:17 PM AT

Police said Amber Kirwan [19 ] was last seen outside Dooley's in the northern Nova Scotia town at 1:30 a.m. Sunday. [Oct 9]

Her relatives called for help late that afternoon when they hadn't heard from her.

Police are checking with Kirwan's family friends, as well as local businesses and taxi companies.

They're also canvassing some neighbourhoods.
According to a friend, Kirwan was supposed to meet her boyfriend at a convenience store shortly after leaving the pool hall.

She never showed up, the CBC's Kevin Harvey reported from the scene.

Kirwan was last seen wearing dark clothing. No other details were available.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2011/10/10/ns-search-new-glasgow-woman.html

Missing girl
Amber Kirwan, 19

photo_1873972_resize_article.jpg

Police are asking for Amber Kirwan or anyone with information about her whereabouts to contact New Glasgow Police Service,

or Crime Stoppers anonymously anytime at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477) or by Secure Web Tips at http://crimestoppers.ns.ca/online-tips/.​

more info in this article: http://www.ngnews.ca/News/Local/2011-10-10/article-2773021/Amber-Kirwan-still-missing/1

snipped...

Her boyfriend Mason Campbell said they've been getting some leads, but were told not to go public with any until the police can investigate.

He said friends and family will continue to search as long as it takes.

"We can't stop until she's found. If she's not found in a year, we're looking for a year," he said.

He was personally following up on leads and trying to recruit help.

"At this point it's all on me to find out where my girlfriend is," he said. "I've got to get her home."

Police and family say it is completely uncharacteristic for her to go anywhere without telling anyone.

A Facebook profile called "New Glasgow Police Services" is giving information about the search but MacDonald said it is not an official police page and that the department will be investigating who is responsible for the page after the investigation.

The profile now has a note up saying: "this is not a police officer or a dispatcher etc when i made this page i didnt expect all the likes wich i do appreciate i really do i thank for that but i had thoughts of closeing it but when amber went missing i thought it would be a good idea to leave it up and help each other out to find her thats why its up and the updates i get are the ones i know or are the ones i see so lets keep searching and bring her home."

The site claims that Kirwan was spotted at the Needs in New Glasgow with a man yesterday, but MacDonald said there has been nothing confirmed although police are investigating rumours. He said they are going to many businesses to see if they have any video of the woman.

New details are coming out:

Amber's boyfriend (MC) said Kirwan called him from Dooly’s and asked him to pick her up. They agreed to meet at Big Al’s.

When he got there though, she wasn’t there, so he tried calling the number she had called from but no one saw here there.

He returned to Big Al’s but she was nowhere to be seen.

He said Kirwan took a cab into Dooly’s and he had planned to join her, but was unable to.

http://www.ngnews.ca/News/Local/2011-10-10/article-2773021/Amber-Kirwan-still-missing/1

MAP showing:

( A ) Dooly's Billiard Room (Amber left at 1:30 am)

( B ) Big Al's Convenience store (where she had agreed to meet her boyfriend)

Distance: 200 m, 1 minute driving, 2 minutes walking

My question is: Why didn't they agree for the boyfriend to pick her up at Dooly's instead?

So weird that someone would disappear over such a short distance.

The river, the bridge, and the treed area bother me a little although I'm sure they've all been searched.

My feeling is that she was watched by someone within Dooly's and followed.

Having lived in this area of NS, I don't think him asking her to meet him at Big Al's raises questions right away for me, of course it all depends on the demeanor of him,etc.etc.

Small town NS, if it's the busy/big place to go at night, it might be a busy street, hard to find a spot, much easier to just meet around the corner where he can park and wait for her,etc. Having lived in the same area(and many more like it in small town Canada) I can say that no one I know would think twice of walking that little(or MUCH farther) in a town like that, as sad as it is.

snipped...

I find it odd that the boyfriend is talking about looking for her for a year, and she hasn't even been missing for 24 hours.

If it were me, I would expect that she'd appear very shortly as I would be hoping that it was all just a misunderstanding.

I did a google street view, but had trouble finding Big Al's. By the address that shows up, it appears that it is only a couple of blocks from Doolys. I believe it is a convenience store. Was she planning on heading over there for some cigarettes? Why else wouldn't she ask her boyfriend to pick her up right at Doolys? Was someone 'bothering' her?

ETA: sorry Ellabella. I was busy reading articles, looking at maps and writing. I didn't see your before I posted.

Snoopster: I had the same problem with street view.. I wonder if Big Als is a recent addition in an old space? I also thought the searching for comments were weird.

I find it odd that the boyfriend is talking about looking for her for a year, and she hasn't even been missing for 24 hours.

If it were me, I would expect that she'd appear very shortly as I would be hoping that it was all just a misunderstanding.

I did a google street view, but had trouble finding Big Al's. By the address that shows up, it appears that it is only a couple of blocks from Doolys. I believe it is a convenience store. Was she planning on heading over there for some cigarettes? Why else wouldn't she ask her boyfriend to pick her up right at Doolys? Was someone 'bothering' her?

ETA: sorry Ellabella. I was busy reading articles, looking at maps and writing. I didn't see your before I posted.

whoops, it appears that she has been missing for almost 48 hours, however my comment still stands. I think it is odd that someone appears to believe it might be a long search!

It would be difficult for him to pick her up at Dooley's. It is on a main street with no parking. Big Al's would be a good spot to meet. It is not too far from Dooley's.

whoops, it appears that she has been missing for almost 48 hours, however my comment still stands. I think it is odd that someone appears to believe it might be a long search!

I think he meant if they still had to search for her a year later, they would.

It would be difficult for him to pick her up at Dooley's. It is on a main street with no parking. Big Al's would be a good spot to meet. It is not too far from Dooley's.

one minute by car
two if walking

Snoopster: I had the same problem with street view.. I wonder if Big Als is a recent addition in an old space? I also thought the searching for comments were weird.

Please ignore the MAP on my post #9 (that's is the one I got from Google, but is not correct, Big Al's is north of George Street.

Made this new MAP manually.

Distance: 4 minutes walk

Big Al's street view: http://g.co/maps/vcyhf

Dooly's street view: http://g.co/maps/x9uvw (I see parking close to Dooly's)

Did someone follow her out of Dooley's? They may have seen her leaving by herself. I wish teens would not walk by themselves. My daughter is 19, and she just moved into her own apartment in santa monica. It scares me witless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member