1101 users online (184 members and 917 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Grand Jury Subpoena MEDIA VIDEOS

What are your thoughts on this development?

KCTV5 receives grand jury subpoena in search for baby Lisa

BERTY, MO (KCTV) -
    The Clay County Prosecutor's Office has served a grand jury subpoena on KCTV5 as part of the investigation into the disappearance of baby Lisa Irwin.
    KCTV received the subpoena late Monday afternoon. Prosecutors asked KCTV5 for "all footage, including raw footage of any interviews or statements given by neighbors, family or friends of the family, regarding missing baby Lisa Irwin."

http://www.kctv5.com/story/15661276/...-for-baby-lisa

Adding information regarding West Virginia's laws protecting journalistic privilege to shed some light on the purpose of a grand jury subpoena to obtain the raw video.

A new shield law went into effect on June 10, 2011.

West Virginia acting governor signs reporter shield law
    The measure provides journalists with a nearly absolute reporter’s privilege to refuse to disclose the identity of confidential sources, and documents or other information that could identify confidential sources, in civil, criminal, administrative and grand jury proceedings. A court may compel disclosure of such information only if “necessary to prevent imminent death, serious bodily injury or unjust incarceration.”

http://www.rcfp.org/newsitems/index.php?i=11810

The shield law protects a journalist's right to withhold confidential information. An earlier state supreme court ruling in Hudok v. Henry extends that protection to a reporter's newsgathering material.

To protect the important public interest of reporters in their news-gathering functions under the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, disclosure of a reporter's confidential sources or news-gathering materials may not be compelled except upon a clear and specific showing that the information is highly material and relevant, necessary or critical to the maintenance of the claim, and not obtainable from other available sources.

Hudok, 182 W. Va. 500, 389 S.E.2d 188. We further adopted "the general rule . . . that a qualified First Amendment privilege is available to the news-gathering material whether confidential, published, or not published." 182 W. Va. at 505, 389 S.E.2d at 193.

http://www.state.wv.us/wvsca/docs%5C...97%5C23873.htm

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

sipping coffee at the Purple Rose Theatre
    A Clay County grand jury issued subpoenas Monday to all the local network TV affiliates, requesting any raw footage of interviews with missing infant Lisa Irwin’s family, friends or neighbors.

At the urging of police, the prosecutor’s office requested the subpoenas of an existing grand jury, a source said.

KCTV-5, The Star’s reporting partner, reported it had received the subpoena, as did WDAF, KMBC and KSHB.

The subpoena orders at least two of the stations to appear at 9 a.m. Oct. 18. It is unclear whether the stations would comply. KCTV said it was consulting with its attorney.

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2011/10/10...#ixzz1aRYkj23L
    wonder if national media outlets got the shout out as well? Since family allegedly and reportedly had a deal with them

wow that's really unusual isnt it? or do we perhaps not often hear of it when it happens?

If a grand jury is issuing subpoenas, does that mean they are preparing to charge somebody?

Videos requested in Subpoena

What exactly is LE looking for in these videos? Has national media also received a subpoena or just local media? I'd like to use this thread to gather the videos we've seen thus far and try to determine exactly what LE might be looking for.
    This is the first video where Jeremy & Debbie discuss what took place when Jeremy got home, it's also the video in which the cell phones were first mentioned.
    http://www.kctv5.com/video?clipId=63...autostart=true

interesting development....

Quote Originally Posted by squeaky View Post
    If a grand jury is issuing subpoenas, does that mean they are preparing to charge somebody?
    These are subpoena's to request that the local stations release raw footage of interviews to LE.

The article says they used an existing grand jury. IMHO this is different than bringing evidence before a GJ and asking them to eval whether or not there is sufficient evidence to charge an individual(s) of a crime(s).

Bessie provided a very good post about the laws protecting reporters. Perhaps this is standard procedure in that state when requesting footage or sources?

I think the fact they are asking for raw footage is interesting but I can't quite put my finger on exactly why, how and what yet. But raw footage is quite different than edited footage of interviews we've seen on TV KWIM?

This is very interesting (not saying that to be coy, I really find it interesting).

All JMHO

Ths is very interesting, and quick. I'm not quite sure what to make of it, but I hope it leads to the recovery of baby Lisa.

MOO

Mel

My first reaction would be that LE is clueless and they think they may find some answers through the footage.
    My second guess would be that they want to see if neighbors/family are giving conflicting stories.

Very odd development...
    It's just MOO. I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time and it surely won't be the last!

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

greenpalm is offline I don't say much unless I've really thought it through. Then I go on and on.
    Isn't it common for perps to return to the scene of the crime, and even get involved in the searches? Maybe they are looking for folks in the background of the interviews and Raw footage for bystanders who should be investigated thoroughly. Just this summer the suspect in the Breanne Rodriguez case participated in the searches and stood outside with neighbors discussing the case. (in my own experience, my murdered school mate's case, the murderer also did media interviews and chatted with neighbors before his eventual arrest). I would think this would potentially be part of leaving no stone unturned.

KCTV videos - multiple ones available at:

http://www.kctv5.com/category/222182/search-for-lisa

Quote Originally Posted by greenpalm View Post
    Isn't it common for perps to return to the scene of the crime, and even get involved in the searches? Maybe they are looking for folks in the background of the interviews and Raw footage for bystanders who should be investigated thoroughly. (respectively snipped) I would think this would potentially be part of leaving no stone unturned.
    I had the same thought when I heard about the subpoena. They want to view the raw footage for certain people lurking in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by elepher50 View Post
    KCTV videos - multiple ones available at:

http://www.kctv5.com/category/222182/search-for-lisa
    Here as well http://www.kmbc.com/search/form.html...ading=&x=7&y=8

sipping coffee at the Purple Rose Theatre
    Other media outlets have also been served, including CNN.

Read more: http://www.nbcactionnews.com/dpp/new...#ixzz1aTast53y
    judge JP show maybe???

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast