GUILTY IL - John, 44, & Maria Granat, 42, murdered, Palos Park, 11 Sept 2011

JoeFromLB

Reaction score
I did a search and could not find anything posted about these murders:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20118576-504083.html

October 11, 2011

(CBS/WBBM/AP) PALOS TOWNSHIP, Ill. - Three suburban teenagers have been charged with helping a high school classmate kill his parents in a Chicago suburb last month.

Christopher Wyma, 17, of Bridgeview; Mohammad Salahat, 17, of Chicago Heights; and Ehab Qasem, 19, of Hickory Hills, are each charged with first-degree murder in the slayings of John Granat, 44, and his wife, Maria Granat, 42, reports CBS station WBBM.

They were found beaten and stabbed to death Sept. 10 in their home. Their 17-year-old son, also named John Granat, initially called police to report that his parents had been murdered but he was charged with the murders shortly afterward.

Cops: Teens used code word in plot to kill classmate's parents

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...urban-double-slaying-20111011,0,6578136.story

October 11, 2011

The "concert" was on.

With that code word, four teens in the south suburbs -- including the son of a police officer -- carried out a murder plot Sept. 10 they had been planning for two months, prosecutors said today.

Three high school friends -- Christopher Wyma, 17, Mohammad Salahat, 17, and Ehab Qasem, 19 -- drove to the Palos Park home of John Granat, 17, late that night. While Salahat waited outside in a car, Wyma and Qasem went to the parents' bedroom and used baseball bats to beat John Granat, 44, and Maria Granat, 42, authorities said.

Meanwhile, the younger Granat was downstairs looking for money. Qasem soon joined him and said his parents were still alive, prosecutors said. Granat then got a knife from the kitchen and went upstairs, according to authorities.

Once there, Qasem stabbed Maria Granat two to four times, then gave the knife to her son, who stabbed her "numerous" times, prosecutors said. An autopsy showed she was stabbed 20 times.

http://mobile.chicagotribune.com/p.p?a=rp&postId=841673&m=b&sessionToken=&postUserId=54

Weeks before his parents were bludgeoned to death in their bedroom, 17-year-old John Granat told friends he wanted to kill his mother and father after they discovered he was growing marijuana at their home, sources close to the investigation said.

Granat's parents threw out the drugs, and shortly afterward the teenager allegedly told friends that he wanted his mother and father dead for what they had done, sources said.

he sounds quite calm on the 911 call with no urgency in demanding the ambulance gets there to save his parents, he doesn't even mention his mother till the 911 operator asks him if he saw his mother,

what an horrendous crime,

http://oaklawn.patch.com/articles/o...three-teens-charged-in-murder-of-palos-couple

"Bail was denied for Mohammad Salahat, 17, and two other teens charged in the Sept. 11 murders of John and Maria Granat. The Granats’ son, John, 17, was charged on similar counts Sept. 13.

Prosecutors allege that Salahat sat in the car outside the Granats’ home in unincorporated Palos Township near Palos Park, while his friends beat the couple with baseball bats and stabbed Maria Granat up to 20 times."

This is just plain scary! What is wrong with our children today?

Here's what they're saying across the Pond:

Teenager 'paid three classmates - including police officer's son - thousands to come to his house to beat his parents to death as they slept'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ds-help-beat-parents-death.html#ixzz1aa663wZA

article-2037353-0DE3D1B200000578-559_468x406.jpg

Rest in Peace
The charges were a shock to relatives already reeling from the death of John and Maria Granat, who were part of a large extended family of Polish immigrants. Some 17 aunts and uncles from both sides of the family sat behind Granat in the courtroom gallery. The teen did not make eye contact with them during the 10-minute hearing. from Chicago Tribune.

Wasn't there another child, a son? Thought I read he was at the home but asleep (?)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-met-palos-murders-20111012,0,4112741.story

After their friend was charged with murdering his parents, three southwest suburban teens managed to hide their own involvement in the grisly slayings for a month despite detectives' suspicions and their own loose lips, law enforcement officials said.

The teens' involvement remained a secret until one of them cracked under routine questioning Sunday, authorities said. The other two quickly followed, as prosecutors said the teens admitted to participating in Granat Jr.'s plot to kill his wealthy parents in their Palos Township home and split a wad of cash.

[Granat] has not cooperated with authorities since his arrest and only learned about the charges against his alleged accomplices Tuesday when he saw one of them on a Cook County sheriff's transport back to the jail.

so much more coming out now . . .

So they left the father's wallet untouched with $1800 in it . . . but took $35K in cash. When the suspect was stopped early morning (about 5a) he had $4K in cash, pool chlorine & a broken tail light.

So glad criminals are dumb

This is awful beyond words and difficult to comprehend and wrap one's mind around such a horrific crime -- believe drugs were definitely involved. One of the accomplices has a brother in Medical School and another one on the way. Prayers out to the families of all involved.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...11011_1_murder-plot-three-teens-double-murder

The younger Granat initally told police he fell asleep in the basement around 12:30 a.m. and was in the home the entire night. But investigators learned that Palos Heights police had stopped Granat for a minor traffic offense at 5:17 a.m. at 122nd Street and Harlem Avenue.

Granat changed his story and told investigators he was with Wyma, Salahat and Qasem, police said, but the three denied being with him.

On Sunday, Cook County Sheriff’s investigators began questioning Wyma, Salahat and Qasem about their whereabouts the night of the murders.

From the Southtownstar.com

“But then, one of the brothers (of an alleged attacker) is going to medical school and another is on his way there. So you can’t draw conclusions based on how a person was raised.

I'll never understand murder in general, but this kind is particularly baffling. How is this even humanly possible? It's so sad and horrific.

I am in total agreement with you Saffron and it is something that one cannot fathom or understand. The High School attended is excellent with a very strong emphasis on academics and sports. This is so horrific it causes me to wonder if they were all out of their minds and strung out on drugs......as John Granat's name on Facebook may imply... "John Johnny Hash Granat". Out of the four young men that are involved, I would think that one of them would have enough sense to stop this and report it before it took place. I drove by the home yesterday afternoon and it is in a truly beautiful upper scale area of Palos Park. The home is directly next to a serene pond with ducks swimming about and surrounded by tall and stately trees. I couldn't help but notice the "ADT Security" sign that the parents had affixed on their front door. Unfortunately, little did they know that the one that they had to fear the most was their own son who brutally brought about their demise. I am praying for all involved.

Thanks, scrabble. Those details are interesting. I feel so sorry for that couple. The brutality is simply frightening.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back