Thread: Kan.'s capital city repeals domestic violence law

Angry Kan.'s capital city repeals domestic violence law

This is an outrage !

Kan.'s capital city repeals domestic violence law

TOPEKA, Kan. (AP) Over the past month, one by one, people suspected in domestic battery cases in northeast Kansas have been set free with no charges against them. Prosecutors say they're overwhelmed with felonies and, faced with budget cuts, can't afford to pursue the cases.

Busted budgets have forced tough decisions by governments and law enforcement officials nationwide, but the Shawnee County district attorney's move to stop investigating domestic abuse and other misdemeanor cases has angered victims' advocates who say austerity has gone too far.

The advocates are also outraged by the response from the capital city of Topeka, where the City Council and mayor repealed the city's domestic abuse law Tuesday night a move designed to ensure the city wouldn't be stuck with the bill for prosecuting such cases.

"I absolutely do not understand it," Rita Smith, executive director of the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence, said after the vote. "It's really outrageous that they're playing with family safety to see who blinks first. People could die while they're waiting to straighten this out

http://www.centurylink.net/news/read...KNWU00L2_UNEWS
    What lies behind you and what lies in front of you pales in comparison to what lies inside of you....
    Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mysticrose For This Useful Post:

I really didn't believe they would seriously consider going through with this. If they do, shame on them and I hope every, single one of them will be voted out next election.

Horrific.
    ~~~Cynical Optimist~~~

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Fairy1 For This Useful Post:

Yes apparently the 10% budget cut for 2012 is what kicked this into gear ! Well instead of whining now about how much it costs to prosecute domestic case, he will be complaing of how much it cost's to prosecute murder charges instead because he's an ignorant man who doesnt understand one dang thing about domestic viloence

So I guess now in Kansas you can beat the carp out of your significant other and get away with it ! WTF ...
    What lies behind you and what lies in front of you pales in comparison to what lies inside of you....
    Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

6. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to mysticrose For This Useful Post:

I think a lot of cities are in financial binds with no way by law to raise revenue.

I'd be more sympathetic with Topeka's predicament had they chosen to de-criminalize non-violent crimes instead of this.

8. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Nova For This Useful Post:

Well, I'll tell ya' that domestic violence perpetrators actions escolate. So, rather than attempting to nip the abuse before it gets too bad, in a few months they'll have more murder felony cases to deal with. Oh, and a missing abuse victim to search for.

Then see how their 10% budget cut goes.

JMHO
    fran

http://www.startribune.com/nation/131535748.html

Repeal of Topeka, Kan., domestic violence ordinance leaves suspects free, victims scared

TOPEKA, Kan. - Suspects in Topeka domestic violence cases are leaving jail without being charged, and advocates for abuse survivors say victims are growing more scared amid a public squabble over who should pay to prosecute the crimes.

...................... snip .............................

The intent is to force the county's district attorney to back away from a budget-driven decision to stop prosecuting misdemeanors committed inside the city limits including domestic assault and battery not involving a weapon.

........................ snip ...............................

Topeka has had at least 35 reported incidents of domestic battery or assault since early September. With those cases not being pursued, as of Friday, 18 people jailed have been released without facing charges, according to Topeka police

<<<<<<<<<<<<<< full article at link >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to fran For This Useful Post:

Angry

That's where the Westboro Baptist Church is based in. Fred Phelps has a history of domestic violence.

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to HMSHood For This Useful Post:

Okkkkk. So in other words it is a crime to go up to a stranger in a bar and hit them. But if the person is their wife, go for it?

Does that mean if a man kills his wife that that isn't a crime? Because domestic murders are a form of domestic violence.

I can just see this scenario happening. A guy and his wife in a bar and he hauls off and hits her. Two guys pull him off her, and he gets hit. The two guys could be prosecuted, but he couldn't?

Central Oregon in the foothills of the Cascade mountains.

Unreal!

This news just blows my mind!

Do they not understand this penny-wise and pound foolish mentality?!

May God help the victims of DM in that area!

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chloes1 For This Useful Post:

I would question what is going on behind closed doors with some of those officials that they seem to give so little concern for victims of domestic abuse. This is a serious situation, many times life threatening and most of the time to women and children. Are the lives of the women and children in their area of no importance? This is very upsetting. The people in that area need to get busy and vote every single one of those people out of office.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Annie For This Useful Post:

If the dang budgets are so bad, put the perps on community service-- sweeping, mopping, pruning, litter, mail rooms... make them paint over graffiti, or scrub some trash cans, tons of them. So insipid and dull to repeal the law and whine about money!! And if the creativity to think of things costs, make THEM think of some things they can do.

If I spent an hour, I could think of dozens of ways to lighten the load of other government workers who are literally swamped. These offenders need some time to cool off, but jail doesn't need to be the answer. moo

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Quiche For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HMSHood View Post
    That's where the Westboro Baptist Church is based in. Fred Phelps has a history of domestic violence.
    All true, but in fairness, I doubt Phelps has any political pull (beyond the 50 or so votes of his relatives/congregation) in Topeka.

Interestingly, an article in Vanity Fair this month talks about how the federal government can pass its fiscal problems to the states and the states can pass money problems on to cities and counties. And then the buck (literally) stops there.

We may see more such actions as municipalities attempt to dramatize their plights.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Nova For This Useful Post:

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    All true, but in fairness, I doubt Phelps has any political pull (beyond the 50 or so votes of his relatives/congregation) in Topeka.
    Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by HMSHood View Post
    Just saying.
    I'm no fan of Phelps and his brood, but his congregation does seem to be composed mostly of his own relatives. I really don't think he has any pull in Topeka.