lawmakers want ban on human names for pets

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
A Brazilian legislator wants to make it illegal to give pets names that are common among people. Federal congressman Reinaldo Santos e Silva proposed the law after psychologists suggested that some children may get depressed when they learn they share their first name with someone's pet, said Damarias Alves, a spokeswoman for Silva.

"Names have importance," said Alves. The congressman "wants to challenge people's assumptions that it's acceptable to give animals human names," she said.

If the law is passed, pet stores and veterinary clinics would be required to display a sign noting the prohibition of human first names for pets.

Brazilians who break the law would be subject to fines or community service.

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/americas/10/28/dog.names.ap/index.html

With some of the human names I've seen recently, how would they define this? It wouldn't surprise me if some parent named their kid Rover. So then what could you call teh family dog?

My dog is Sigmund. I would NEVER in a billion years name a child this, but it is a persons name...what to do what to do?

My German Shepherd's name is "Argus Attila VonBrycehaus." I don't think we need worry that its a person's name! LOL

My dog's name is "Major Pain in the Butt" I think that might be many people's name!!! :D :D :D :D

Arielle said:
My dog's name is "Major Pain in the Butt" I think that might be many people's name!!! :D :D :D :D

I have to object - as that is my Husbands name as well... :laugh:

Txswthrt5 said:
I have to object - as that is my Husbands name as well... :laugh:

I didn't know my boyfriend was married!! :eek: :D

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members