Susan Sarandon Under Fire for Calling Pope a 'Nazi'

krimekat

Amazed and Baffled
Reaction score
Actress Susan Sarandon called German pontiff Pope Benedict XVI a Nazi during a discussion session at the Hamptons Film Festival over the weekend. She had sent a copy of the book (Dead Man Walking) on which the movie is based to the Pope.

"The last one. Not this Nazi one we have now," she reportedly told Newsday, and later repeated at the Ciroc vodka-sponsored panel.

. . . the crowd "didn't seem bothered" by Sarandon's words, and the discussion ended with the majority of the crowd praising her for everything from her work with UNICEF to her staunch support of Occupy Wall Street.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...-catholic-and-jewish-groups-for-calling-pope/

What? Where's the uproar? I guess since she is a Liberal, it's okay . . . Double Standards !!!! I hate them!

What do you guys think? Is there a difference between CALLING a pontiff a Nazi & COMPARING our great leaders to Hilter & Netanyahu?

Big difference in MO - may elaborate if others are interested.

more from the FoxNews article:

Catholic League of America was quick to slam Sarandon for her "obscene" words.

“Susan Sarandon’s ignorance is willful: those who have hatred in their veins are not interested in the truth. The fact is that Joseph Ratzinger (the Pope) was conscripted at the age of 14 into the Hitler Youth, along with every other young German boy. Unlike most of the other teenagers, Ratzinger refused to go to meetings, bringing economic hardship to his family. Moreover, unlike most of the others, he deserted at the first opportunity,” the league’s President William Donohue said in a statement.

“Sarandon’s comment is obscene. Sadly, it’s what we’ve come to expect from her.”

I knew that the Pope was required to join Hilter Youth but I did not know how long or at what level he participated.

can you believe I have found nothing on Huffington Post's site . . . LOL

I live in the United States of America and fully and completely believe that everyone is entitled to their own opinion and it's their legal right to express it.

No one has to agree with it.

I am so sick and dog tired of political correctness. Personally, I prefer people openly stand up and speak their minds .....just so *I* know who the idiots are.

I agree with Linda above: what happened to Freedom of Speech?

Political correctness is stifling our voices & views . . .

Juan Williams
Bocephus
Susan Sarandon

We should be "free" to speak our minds, but we also should accept the responsibility that words may affect others.

He WAS a Nazi as a teen, right?

From his Wiki page: Following his 14th birthday in 1941, Ratzinger was conscripted into the Hitler Youth—as membership was required by law for all 14-year-old German boys after December 1939...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Benedict_XVI#Early_life:_1927.E2.80.9351

adding, after looking at more about the Pope, that his family did not personally ascribe to the Nazi doctrines, but obeyed the laws of the land. In WWll Nazi Youth were used as reserves-- "By 1943, Nazi leaders began turning the Hitler Youth into a military reserve to draw manpower which had been depleted due to tremendous military losses."

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitler_Youth"]Hitler Youth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

I generally find Susan Sarandon extremely annoying, but not because she dares to call the Pope a Nazi. It was a bit tacky, but factually correct. I was raised as a Catholic and have probably said worse about him myself.

My political leanings are slightly left of center, but I'm honestly not interested in hearing from the Hollywood Elite on matters of religion, politics, or social policy, whether they're liberal OR conservative, as I feel their opinions are no more important (and likely LESS so) than the average American.

krimekat, I'd just as soon ship her and Hank Williams, Jr. to some remote island somewhere and let them work out their differences. ;)

Being forced into the Hitler Youth program would not make him a Nazi . . . IMHO of course.

But what do we consider a Nazi? Are there different levels of Nazi-ism?

I don't consider him a Nazi & I hate that Sarandon makes light of her comment.

Being forced into the Hitler Youth program would not make him a Nazi . . . IMHO of course.

But what do we consider a Nazi? Are there different levels of Nazi-ism?

I don't consider him a Nazi & I hate that Sarandon makes light of her comment.

Yeah, I think she meant to be disparaging... I can take her or leave her. But, she used it as an identifying tag, and I knew exactly who she was talking about because I was astonished when he became Pope. Otherwise, I don't know any of them. jmo

I consider that many of the German populace who were Nazis in WWll didn't ascribe to the tenets, but they did the work dutifully. I pity their souls, but they were Nazis.

The Nazi movement of today is a sloppy manifestation of evil, imo, and doesn't have any real bearing when compared to the work of Adolf Hitler. moo

The case of the great German novelist Günter Grass - author of "The Tin Drum" - is instructive:

On 12 August 2006....Grass stated that he had been a member of the Waffen-SS. Before this interview, Grass was seen as someone who had been a typical member of the "Flakhelfer generation," one of those too young to see much fighting or to be involved with the Nazi regime in any way beyond its youth organizations.
---
After an unsuccessful attempt to volunteer for the U-Boat fleet at age 15, Grass was conscripted into the Reichsarbeitsdienst (Reich Labor Service), and was then called up for the Waffen-SS in 1944. At that point of the war, youths could be conscripted into the Waffen-SS instead of the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht); this was unrelated to membership of the SS proper.
---
To the BBC, Grass said in 2006:

"It happened as it did to many of my age. We were in the labour service and all at once, a year later, the call-up notice lay on the table. And only when I got to Dresden did I learn it was the Waffen-SS."

As Grass has for many decades been an outspoken left-leaning critic of Germany's treatment of its Nazi past, his statement caused a great stir in the press.
---

Wiki
Grass survived the experience and became just the opposite of what Waffen-SS stood for. Ratzinger gets the benefit of the doubt as he would seem to have done so, as well.

Actress Susan Sarandon called German pontiff Pope Benedict XVI a Nazi during a discussion session at the Hamptons Film Festival over the weekend. She had sent a copy of the book (Dead Man Walking) on which the movie is based to the Pope.

"The last one. Not this Nazi one we have now," she reportedly told Newsday, and later repeated at the Ciroc vodka-sponsored panel.

. . . the crowd "didn't seem bothered" by Sarandon's words, and the discussion ended with the majority of the crowd praising her for everything from her work with UNICEF to her staunch support of Occupy Wall Street.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...-catholic-and-jewish-groups-for-calling-pope/

What? Where's the uproar? I guess since she is a Liberal, it's okay . . . Double Standards !!!! I hate them!

What do you guys think? Is there a difference between CALLING a pontiff a Nazi & COMPARING our great leaders to Hilter & Netanyahu?

Big difference in MO - may elaborate if others are interested.

I think the difference is Hank used the "analogy" to describe polar opposites. He didn't outright call Obama or anyone else Hitler.

Susan outright called the Pope a Nazi.

But liberal views are often much better tolerated that conservative ones. So I'm sure her comments didn't ruffle many liberal feathers.

I'm not Catholic but her words sadden me.

JMO

It doesn't "bother" me that she said what she did of the Pope... I do think that we are all allowed to our freedom of speech... It does, however, bother me that she is still toting that stupid book as fact. Prejean's book was more fiction than it ever was fact & if she (Susan) can't even be bothered to fact-check something she is still railing for, then I have ZERO interest in anything else she may have to say...

I think the difference is Hank used the "analogy" to describe polar opposites. He didn't outright call Obama or anyone else Hitler.

You should probably listen to the interview again. Hitler? Not directly. Enemy? Absolutely.

Susan outright called the Pope a Nazi.

Factually accurate.

But liberal views are often much better tolerated that conservative ones. So I'm sure her comments didn't ruffle many liberal feathers.

Says who? Have you ever visited the Political Forum here?

I'm not Catholic but her words sadden me.
JMO

Why? She's just another person with an opinion. Why should her words - or anyone's words - sadden you?

There is no restriction on Freedom of Speech. But there are consequences when you publicly state your opinions/feelings/beliefs, etc. Susan will have to face those consequences, just as Bocephus did.

Now I will love Susan Sarandon just as much as I despise the the Catholic church.

You should probably listen to the interview again. Hitler? Not directly. Enemy? Absolutely.

Factually accurate.

Says who? Have you ever visited the Political Forum here?

Why? She's just another person with an opinion. Why should her words - or anyone's words - sadden you?

There is no restriction on Freedom of Speech. But there are consequences when you publicly state your opinions/feelings/beliefs, etc. Susan will have to face those consequences, just as Bocephus did.

1) I've listened to it several times. He did not call Obama Hitler.

2) Actually I frequent the PP here.

3) Her words sadden me because she outright disrespected the Pope.

How is her statement inaccurate? I guess she could have characterized him as former Nazi.

It seems that even old nazis can get cured...! :wink:

Vatican Reverses Stance On Gay Marriage After Meeting Tony And Craig

July 13, 2011 | ISSUE 47•28

VATICAN CITY—In a stunning and unexpected reversal of long-standing doctrine, Pope Benedict XVI proclaimed the Roman Catholic Church's unequivocal support for gay marriage Tuesday, just hours after meeting Stonington, CT couple Tony Ruggiero and Craig Housinger.

Vatican_Reverses_R_jpg_250x1000_q85.jpg

Tony and Craig, whom Vatican officials called "a truly great match."

The papal decree—which authorizes priests to administer the sacrament of holy matrimony to same-sex partners and explicitly states that "homosexual relations between two consenting adults is not, and never has been, a sin"—was reportedly a direct result of the pope sharing an afternoon of engaging conversation and hearty laughter with the gay couple.

"Not only are Tony and Craig complete sweethearts, but anyone who spends more than two minutes with them can see they're clearly perfect for each other," said Benedict, who in the past has described homosexual behavior as a grave disease that threatens all of humanity. "They're fun, gracious, and simply wonderful company. And you can tell they have something special just by the way they look at each other."

"They're soulmates, really," added the pope, smiling. "Allowing them to formalize their union in the Church is the least we could do for them."

Vatican officials said the vacationing couple and the Supreme Pontiff met during a routine papal audience at St. Peter's Basilica, and "really hit it off" after discovering shared interests in photography, the piano, and Spanish cuisine.

Vatican_Reverses_JUMP_R_jpg_250x1000_q85.jpg

Pope Benedict XVI claims that any law respecting the wishes of Tony and Craig is "a law I support wholeheartedly."

Though sources said the 84-year-old Benedict, a lifelong scholar of antigay ecclesiastical law, initially appeared skeptical upon meeting the pair, he was reportedly put at ease after Housinger spoke a few humorous lines to the pope in his native German and Ruggiero effusively complimented his gold cuff links, touching off a friendly conversation that effectively upended 2,000 years of Roman Catholic teachings.

"They were witty and cultured, but also very friendly—I really don't meet too many people like that," the pope said of the couple, who excitedly suggested to him several off-the-beaten-path sights and "to die for" restaurants after he mentioned an upcoming trip to Buenos Aires. "Craig has a great passion for Italian painting, and I learned a lot from him about the Church's collection of Caravaggios. He's a real Renaissance man."

"I know what scripture says about homosexuals, but when I stop to think about it, I can't get past the fact that the Bible is just a book, and Tony and Craig are real people," Benedict added. "Love is love. Man-woman, man-man, woman-woman—who cares? The Catholic Church recognizes it's not the Stone Age anymore."

Invited on a personal tour of the Vatican, Housinger and Ruggiero were said to have charmed the College of Cardinals with amusing anecdotes from their seven-year relationship, displaying a playful yet tender affection for each other that deeply moved the clergy.

High-ranking officials within the Holy See said they were pleased to learn both partners were practicing Catholics who attend mass regularly, and were surprised to discover Housinger was employed as a general contractor, a profession none of them considered gay at all.

According to reports, the highlight of the afternoon came when the couple shared photographs of their adopted 14-month-old Cambodian daughter, Lorraine, whom the swooning clergy universally described as "angelic."

"Even if you just meet Tony and Craig for a few minutes, it's easy to see how supportive and patient they are," said the Most Rev. Francesco Coccopalmerio, the Vatican's top expert on canon law, who noted the two partners have a stronger bond than some of the married couples he knows. "You can tell they've created a perfect household for a child to grow up in. I just wish everybody could be raised by parents as devoted and caring as them."

Following a warm farewell in which Ruggiero hugged Benedict—an incident the Holy Father described as "not even weird or anything"—Vatican leaders are said to have unanimously agreed that it was "completely hypocritical" for anyone, especially those who have taken a vow of celibacy, to tell people whom they can or cannot share their lives with.

"If Tony and Craig want to exchange vows before God and their friends and family, where's the harm in that?" Benedict said. "It's not as if they're offending the sanctity of life, like those wicked birth control users who will toil for all eternity in hellfire."

Well, that article is from The Onion (http://www.theonion.com/articles/vatican-reverses-stance-on-gay-marriage-after-meet,20912/), so it's perhaps a bit ahead of its time, but who knows perhaps someday we have Pope who really says something like that! :)

There are so many words and phrases I can use to describe Ratzinger that might actually have more wight than the nazi allegation (which is factual, since he was a member of HY). This man still operates the biggest cover-up of the biggest pedophile ring in the world. JMO

Waldowas, you *almost* had me with that one, lolo. I never ever forsee a day when the Catholic Church condones gay marriage. Birth control will have to come first. :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back