Elizabeth and Delight: Drake's ships found; hunt on for his lead coffin

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Fascinating fellow, that Drake. From Daily Mail:

Treasure hunters on the verge of finding Sir Francis Drake's watery grave after locating two of his ships off Panama coast
A team of international treasure hunters is close to finding the final resting place of British Naval hero Sir Francis Drake.

They have found two of his ships which were scuttled off the coast of Panama over 400 years ago following the adventurer's death.

The team believes Drake's lead-lined coffin could be near to the location of the two ships 'Elizabeth' and Delight' and have begun a search for the historical artefact.
---
Drake is considered one of Britain's greatest naval heroes having led the English fleet in victory over the Spanish Armada in 1588 as they prepared for an invasion of Britain.

He was the first Englishman to circumnavigate the globe and the scourge of the Spanish in their ambitions to conquer the world.
---
more, with pictures, at DM link above

Interesting reader comment beneath article:
Leave it alone.
- Drake descendant, New Zealand, 24/10/2011 23:25

Why would they scuttle ships after the death of the captain? Ships were (and are) rather expensive investments.

I'm not saying I doubt the report. I just don't understand it. Maybe the dysentery was so bad they lacked sufficient crew members to sail the entire armada home.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jemabogado
Back