MO - Maycen Coberley, 3, dies after finding loaded gun, Stella, 22 Oct 2011

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Stella, Missouri, was also the home of Rowan Ford, murdered in 2007.

Sheriff: Handgun in home results in child’s death (Joplin Globe)

STELLA, Mo. — A 3-year-old girl is believed to have come across a loaded handgun Saturday in a bedroom of her parents’ home, and accidentally shot and killed herself, according to McDonald County authorities.

Maycen A. Coberley was shot about 1 p.m. Saturday inside her family’s home on a Stella mail route between Longview and Goodman in northern McDonald County. Coroner Tracy Dowd said the daughter of Christopher and Shawna Coberley was taken to Freeman Hospital West in Joplin where she was pronounced dead a short time later.

The death remains under investigation. Dowd said an autopsy was conducted by the Greene County medical examiner Monday at Cox Medical Center South in Springfield. The coroner said she had yet to rule on the cause and manner of death.
---
Sheriff Robert Evenson said investigators have determined that no foul play was involved. He said all indications are that the child accidentally shot herself with a 9 mm pistol.
---
the rest at Joplin Globe link above

Oh this hurts my heart. I'm not anti gun, but when are people going to learn that safety must come first when children are involved....

Do you have laws in the US covering the safe storage of firearms and ammunition?

Everyone that I know with guns stores them in a gunsafe.

What a tragedy :(

They need to start consistently prosecuting people who have firearms around children. How could any one ever keep a loaded gun in the house with a child???? :furious:

They need to start consistently prosecuting people who have firearms around children. How could any one ever keep a loaded gun in the house with a child???? :furious:

We have one. My S-I-L is a cop. In the almost 12 months I have been here I've seen it twice, one night when he got off work (going to put it away) and one night (very late) when he was cleaning his equipment. Otherwise it is locked up.

We have one. My S-I-L is a cop. In the almost 12 months I have been here I've seen it twice, one night when he got off work (going to put it away) and one night (very late) when he was cleaning his equipment. Otherwise it is locked up.

Yes, I would make an allowance for a police officer. My assumption (perhaps naive) is that police officers would be hyper conscientious about how their weapon is secured and stored. My personal belief is that unless one is a police officer, there should never be a loaded firearm in the house if children are present. If an "accident" were to occur in the home with a firearm, then the registered owner and/or shooter should face the harshest possible penalty.

You can bet they will be doing tension/ resistance tests on that trigger and hammer.

Yes, I would make an allowance for a police officer. My assumption (perhaps naive) is that police officers would be hyper conscientious about how their weapon is secured and stored. My personal belief is that unless one is a police officer, there should never be a loaded firearm in the house if children are present. If an "accident" were to occur in the home with a firearm, then the registered owner and/or shooter should face the harshest possible penalty.

I hope you are right. I can't remember hearing of a child dying from an unsecured police weapon.

My DS has several guns, he and his wife are thinking about starting a family - I'm thinking this Christmas would be the perfect time to get him that gun safe he keeps talking about but hasn't seemed to purchase. His M-I-L would probably agree. Matter of fact I'm going to get on it this week.

I agree with you, no firearm should be left where anyone can come across it that shouldn't and when a shooting occurs the owner needs to be held accountable.

Gun Lock anyone can buy and use them.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=w3i&va=gun+locks+for+9+mm

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RayaCo
Back