IL IL - John Wayne Gacy

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score

Hi-ho. Hi-ho. My, but life on Death Row is slow.

The Seven Dwarfs seem a weird subject for a notorious serial killer turned amateur artist named John Wayne Gacy, who knocked out thousands of paintings during his 14-year rest stop on Illinois' Death Row.

Just as odd is a clown's skull, the head of Jesus, famous Hollywood monsters and beautiful birds. Then there's a self-portrait in the clown get-up Gacy wore for children's parties, kindly eyes twinkling from behind garish makeup.

Steve Koschal has a simple theory about the art. "Gacy didn't paint because he loved to paint. He found out how to make a lot of money," said Koschal, who began corresponding with Gacy in 1990, four years before the killer's execution for the sadistic murders of 33 young men, most buried in the crawlspace of his home in a Chicago suburb.

Koschal bought about 200 of Gacy's paintings, and 19 of them are on exhibit at the AAA Antiques Mall in West Palm Beach through June. Prices range from $195 for an acrylic painting of a bird, to $9,500 for an oil called Dwarf's Baseball, a rather amusing depiction of Disneylike dwarfs playing the killer's beloved Chicago Cubs.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/content/news/special_reports/c1f_gacy_0605.html

Casshew said:

Then there's a self-portrait in the clown get-up Gacy wore for children's parties, kindly eyes twinkling from behind garish makeup.

He painted several clown pictures. That is grotesque.

He also painted the portrait of the 5 year old son of one of his appeals laywers. The child's expression was kind of loving and wholesome, much as a man might describe a young ingenue. That is scary.

vicktor said:
He painted several clown pictures. That is grotesque.
Clowns scare the crap out of me as a rule.. OMG to serial killer clowns!!!

A Malden man’s guilty pleasure of investing in murderabilia has come back to haunt him thanks to a “cursed” clown painting by serial killer John Wayne Gacy, which the collector claims turned his life into a three-ring circus.

“I just want to get rid of it,” said musician Nikki Stone about the late Gacy’s signed self-portrait of his terrifying alter ego, “Pogo the Clown.”

Since he plunked down $3,000 in 2001 to buy the framed oil from national murderabilia merchant Arthur Rosenblatt, Stone said his beloved dog has died and his mother found out she had cancer. http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=113042

They should push the Johnny Depp weirded out angle more, and maybe these things won't have such a big appeal in the future.

So when is he going to list it on e-bay?:loser:

May 12, 2011 11:22 AM PDT
Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) - John Wayne Gacy was an infamous serial killer who turned to painting in prison. Now his work will be sold to help victims of crime, but some people find the idea appalling.

[...]

The 74 pieces, in what's left of the full collection, could sell anywhere from $1,600 a piece to $15,000. Myles says all of it will be divided among charities. In fact, a painting of notorious bank robber, John Dillinger, is being donated to the mayor and his mob museum.

[...]

But the National Center for Victims of Crime says they don't want any money earned from Gacy's work. While Mulford's CAC hasn't decided yet if they do.

[...]

The National Center for Victims of Crime sent Action News a statement where they told us they've sent a cease and desist letter to the Arts Factory to quit using their name in any association with this event.
Article Link

Wow! Sad that he disappeared without regard for his family (siblings), but nice to have a happy ending for once!

I don't understand why he never contacted his family? Glad he is safe and not one of Gacys victims.

Amazingly awesome news! I hope they can rebuild their relationships.

I don't understand why he never contacted his family? Glad he is safe and not one of Gacys victims.

From the second link above:

Wayne Lovell said he left home because he was at odds with his mother.

"I never felt wanted at home, so I left," he said.

Obviously there's more to this story than we will probably ever know.

I am glad they are finally working to identify Gacy's victim's. And the fact that this attempt led to the a family reuniting is an unexpected bonus. Glad to see it happen.

Though I can see some mixed feelings for this family. Elation to find their brother alive and well. Maybe a bit of anger for all the years he left them thinking that he was the victim of a serial killer. Anger that he not only left their mother with no word, but he left them too.

wow!

unfortunate that his mother went to her grave not knowing what happened to her son but at least his siblings have answers now

:waitasec: I don't understand people that can just up and go with no regard for their family. :waitasec:

I'm glad he's not a victim of anyone but himself.

Great to hear that. I wonder why he disappeared all those years.

In other news, John Wayne Gacy is still rotting Hell along side with Ted Bundy, Jeffrey Dahmer, and Adolf Hitler. :floorlaugh:

I have much compassion for him (and his family). :) It's too sad that he never felt loved (or was it "wanted"). Everybody deserves both.

Perhaps they can "mend the fences", so to speak, and have a happy life together now.

This story reminds me of "Life is what happens while you're busy planning something else" (rough quote, John Lennon). RIP John :rose:

It is stories like this that give families who are victims of missing persons hope that one day their loved one will show up or call.

i'm not going to be so quick to judge him. We don't know the whole story. Abuse? Manipulation? Anger towards him at home? Maybe an un-diagnosed mental illness. I'm just glad he's safe :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back