MD MD - Anne Furst, 83, & Helen Larkin, 56, Aberdeen, 17 Oct 1989

So sorry to hear about your family, I couldn't imagine what you have had to endure over the past 22 years.
It's great to hear that the case is getting more attention at this point. I hope you are able to find the clues you need to solve these horrible murders.

Intrigued by the scapular not having been found. How does that equate with the "nothing taken from the home" reporting?

Welcome to WEBSLEUTHS!!!

Just a few steps and we can be up and running on this case. We need to just verify your relationship as an insider.

Please send an email to wsverify@xmission.com. Include your websleuths identity, the case you are related to and the way you would like to be contacted (phone, email, whatever is comfortable.) An administrator will reach out to you. All of the info you send is confidential.

In the meantime, we will dive in. I hope we can help you!

maxa, is there any chance you can get a picture of the scapular and post it? I wonder if it would spark any recollections in someone who might have seen it around the time of the murders?

Do you know if law enforcement checked into teens in the area? I dont know how those poor women slept through the back door shattering, but they were under a great strain with the death of your grandfather I am sure. :(

My condolences.

The first thing I think of is that someone saw the address in the obituary and thought of the home as a soft target. Since there was no apparent motive though, I can't fit that with the circumstances, that is, unless the killer was just some sort of stark raving maniac. This murderer should have seen that the deceased had a wife who would have likely been in the home and, with the car in the driveway, probably wasn't alone. Certainly all an enormous puzzle.

This is very painful but the question may need to be asked - was there anyone in the family who would benefit from an inheritance with both women gone?

I wonder if the brick came through the window after the fact?

Welcome, Maxaroad. My heart goes out to you. What an awful tragedy.

The missing scapular is interesting. If it was a traditional Christian scapular it had no monetary value, so I can't imagine anyone stealing it. Do you think your mother might have placed it in your grandfather's coffin at the wake? Do you think your mother might have placed it in your grandfather's coffin at the wake?

Welcome to web-sleuths.
Your first posting with its articles and visual aids
were and are very much appreciated.

Can you tell us.
The brick that was used to break the glass.
(Was it a sliding glass door that lead into the living room area
where the TV was on?)

And the murder weapon/weapons itself/themselves.
Were these items the killer/ers used determined to be already on the premises?

Or has the murder weapon/weapons ever been found and identified?

I am trying to learn if the killer/ers brought anything with him.
Or if the killer/ers used items found at the scene.

If it was determined he brought something with him.
That may have made it premeditated "something personal or gain from".

If the items were already there.
And it was determined he brought nothing with him there.
Then it could have been the result of something more or less random with possible variances .

From your articles and interviews given make the possibility of this being a "revenge killing/something to gain from killing"
more or less no longer if ever had/has been a probable reason/motive for the crime.

Which may leave us with a thrill type of killing.
The brutality of the crime makes me wonder if this was a thrill
killing instead of someone taking revenge or someone being in a position to benefit from these killings.

With no witnesses with any information from that night has come forward as far as I know. Someone was able to get in and get out without any notice or drawing attention to themselves as far as we know.
So it could have been a young neighbor from the neighborhood. And not some random act from someone being in town and deciding to invade this particular home.

Do you remember or can you tell us if there are any POI whom lived in the neighborhood at one time and perhaps still does to this day?

They have not told everything about the crime scene.
Which is usual in most cases if not all as it seems at times.
But in this particular case there may-had been something left to leave no doubt that only the killer/killers themselves would know.

Where there any messages left behind by the killer/killers in any manner that you know of or can recall being said even if only a based theory or speculation without being fact?
or can share?

Without more intimate knowledge we could theorize based on speculation this was some kind of initiation/ritualistic killings.
Since they both were murdered and not just killed.

Welcome, Maxaroad. My heart goes out to you. What an awful tragedy.

The missing scapular is interesting. If it was a traditional Christian scapular it had no monetary value, so I can't imagine anyone stealing it. Do you think your mother might have placed it in your grandfather's coffin at the wake? Do you think your mother might have placed it in your grandfather's coffin at the wake?
Exactly what I thought about the scapular, the coffin, and the wake; also, if it was like scapulars I've worn, just attached to a piece of leather, or cloth-like material, it might have become detatched if/when emergency services personnel arrived and began their work, perhaps then being lost in transport.

But if it was taken by the perpetrator(s), that opens up an interesting avenue for sleuthing.

Exactly what I thought about the scapular, the coffin, and the wake; also, if it was like scapulars I've worn, just attached to a piece of leather, or cloth-like material, it might have become detatched if/when emergency services personnel arrived and began their work, perhaps then being lost in transport.

But if it was taken by the perpetrator(s), that opens up an interesting avenue for sleuthing.
Like minds, godot. ;) My first thought was the coffin, but it also occurred to me that it might have been mixed in with discarded first aid materials, if there were any. Or, it was torn loose in a struggle, but the article gives me the impression the attack was swift. If it's none of the above, and it was taken by the perp, it's a whole different ball game.

I hope MaxaRoad will return. I'd be very interested in helping to find answers. I don't have a clue who committed this crime, but I think it's likely he/she knew of the recent death of the victims' father and husband. A random attack/murder is horrible at any time. The fact that the family was already mourning the loss of one member makes it an utterly unforgiveable act.

This is very painful but the question may need to be asked - was there anyone in the family who would benefit from an inheritance with both women gone?

or someone who thought they were going to inherit from the grandfather & discovered via the victims that they were not in the will but the victims were

or someone who perhaps mistakenly thought the victims treated the grandfather inappropriately

or a case of mistaken identity - who lived there prior to the grandparents? (I noticed in the article they hadn't been there long) was this a 'hit'?

question for mods: are we allowed to research who the house used to belong to?

my sympathies to maxaroad and the rest of the family

Is there any more info on this case,besides what Maxaroad posted? I am very interested in knowing more about this case-wow a brick thrown through a sliding glass door-that is BRAZEN!!

Perhaps they got in another way then after the murders threw the brick thru the door to cover up evidence?

Perhaps they got in another way then after the murders threw the brick thru the door to cover up evidence?

That makes some sense.

Did either your mother/grandmother have hearing issue? Is there anyway they could have slept through such a loud noise?

Was there any blood found at the scene from an unidentified source? Maybe around the door?

Welcome maxaroad and my sincerest condolences on the loss of your dear Mom and Grandmother.

My first 'gut' questions/observations....

Who owned or managed the funeral home? Cemetary? How was the economy in the town in 1989? When was the last funeral at the funeral home prior to your dear grandfather passing? Also, do you know if your Grandmother/Mother was prescribed any meds by a Dr. while grieving the loss of your Grandfather?

Throwing a brick thru a sliding door would be noisy so I wonder if the killer counted on them being medicated with valium or something. It is also ironic that they were murdered before you and your family arrived for the funeral. There seems to be a possibility that the killer had inside knowledge about the women. The missing scapular also makes me wonder about a funeral home director as it is a religious object.

Just my initial thoughts and questions starting from the inside and working outward since the family members were cleared of involvement.

wm

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back