1269 users online (266 members and 1003 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Runaway boy

I think this little guy likes the attention!!!
    No info about the first time
    2nd time LE looked for 30 hours, and was later found under neighbors bed
    3rd time spotted by neighbor walking in the woods
    4th time found hiding up in a tree

http://www.wmur.com/r/29582034/detail.html?hpt=us_bn4

"This was the fourth time since 2009 that Devin was reported missing. Last week, he hid under a neighbor's bed during a search that spanned two days. He returned to his thankful adoptive parents," Frazier said.

HPD said no one is in trouble, and no one is facing charges. They just want the case thoroughly reviewed, and the Division for Children, Youth and Families will do it Wednesday.

IMO, if this kid doesn't have some form of autism, they need to really investigate if he's being abused. For a child that age to hide in the cold for 5 hours to have done it before several times, once for two whole days before being found under a neighbor's bed, is a red flag.

I thought the mom seemed very over-the-top in her last media appearance, thanking everyone. A little odd to me.
    For Elizabeth, a minor child, a victim. Thank God she is home!

*Gitana (means "Gypsy girl"). Pronounced "hee tah nah."

Quote Originally Posted by gitana1 View Post
    IMO, if this kid doesn't have some form of autism, they need to really investigate if he's being abused. For a child that age to hide in the cold for 5 hours to have done it before several times, once for two whole days before being found under a neighbor's bed, is a red flag.

I thought the mom seemed very over-the-top in her last media appearance, thanking everyone. A little odd to me.
    I totally Agree!

She sounded like she was accepting an academy award.

http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/l...ed-to-hearing/

BBM
    I'm thinking this boy probably IS somewhere on the autism spectrum. It was mentioned that he has some form of functional disability. It would certainly explain the many times he has gone missing. I work with children and adults with autism, and it is not uncommon for families to struggle with their dear ones wandering. I read with interest this thread about shoes with a GPS tracing device imbedded. They were developed for folks with alzheimers, but they could be very useful for kiddos who wander also.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=152494

I work in a community of functionally disabled adults, some with autism, and some experiencing signs of early aging and dementia. We are constantly monitoring to insure our folks do not wander away, and we are definatey going to investigate these shoes. $300 seems worth it for peace of mind!
    Last edited by KateB; 06-10-2015 at 10:01 PM. Reason: repair url tag.
    One person can make a difference, and everyone should try.
    John F. Kennedy

I don't think he is abused, he is described as developmentally delayed. But it sounds to me like this child should be in a structured environment, since his adoptive parents appear to be unable to keep him from running away. If he keeps on running off, one day it might turn not so lucky. And it's getting colder outside too.
    Just my opinion

Nine years old? Holding him in her arms? On laps in the front seat of the car?

Uh, I think if there's some delayed development we might know what caused it, JMO.

Last edited by badhorsie; 10-30-2011 at 06:22 PM. Reason: posted in a rush
    England's dancing days are done...

Quote Originally Posted by badhorsie View Post
    Attatchment disorder IMO and possibly testing behaviour, as an adopted child I know a lot about this
    He looks to be enjoying the attention. Waiving at people while sitting at police car. So unlikely he will stop running off and parents don't seem to be capable of preventing it since he run off twice in one week. And since it's getting colder it could be getting more dangerous for him to be running off like that.
    Just my opinion

perhaps if the parents had to actually pay for all these searches, they'd keep a better eye on him

the taxpayers should not be footing this bill IMO

I did notice in the video, dad was holding a pet with a head cone on - maybe they've been a bit distracted if they have a pet that just went through surgery and possibly their son is attention-seeking b/c the pet is getting more attention than usual

and perhaps he should actually be in big trouble (I hope there've been some consequences at home for the other incidents but I haven't read of any):

Devin's big concern when he was found is that he would be in big trouble. For his mother, Kerrilyn Frenette, all that mattered is that her little boy was now home safe.

Read more: http://www.wmur.com/news/29522914/de...#ixzz1cIs1ZBoa

he seems like an adorable kid but this is ridiculous and bordering on criminal neglect, regardless of whether he has any developmental issues - the parents need a better parenting plan IMO

There is a really easy fix for this. Fenced in yard and an alarm system on the doors and windows if the child tries to escape. No, I am not saying lock the kid in like the home is a prison, but there should be some type of sound alarm to notify the parents if a door or window opens.

I also like the suggestion upthread about the GPS that can be added to shoes.

I'm not going to judge the family. There are reasons for medical privacy and we don't know what kind of medical issues this child may have. Nor do we know what type of environment he may have been living in prior to being adopted by his current adoptive parents. Both which may play a part in his running.

jmo
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

why be so down on the parents? they obviously care for the lil guy!

I am sorry but blaming them for being distracted by a pet because there is one in the video and saying they were TOO happy to have him back?

If they had acted any other way we would still be putting them down. I am bnot saying they are not partly to blame, but come on!

If he has a disability then that is probably WHY he ran away. He may not know that what he did was bad. To him it may have been a game. He may not have responded to searchers and because of that he wasnt found as quickly as other children, making him be "lost" more than other kids.

How often have we, with our own kids, turned our backs for a minute or 5 while grabbing laundry or using the bathroom and our lil guys have "dissappeared" ?

This guy is adopted I am sure the parents wanted a child very badly and went thru many many tests and checks before they were able to adopt him. ESPECIALLY if he has disabilities.
    Love is a wild animal
    It breathes you it looks for you
    It nests upon broken hearts.

You're right. And I am not blaming them, but I am concerned. If he is not developmentally delayed, the major reason for multiple runaways is abuse. So unless I hear that he has a form of autism or developmental delay, I see red flags.

Also of interest, his main concern was getting in big trouble. He hid under a neighbor's bed, in their house, for days, eating food. Not wandering, not seemingly confused, this kid purposefully bolts and hides, but knows how to care for himself to some degree.

I think of cases of seriously abused children who have run away only to be returned to something horrible. It happened when I was a child to a friend of mine who was badly abused and rode her bike on one occasion, at the age of 9, 22 miles away, at night, and then several years later, she ran to a drug house. ETA: What happened in between was horrific. But no one questioned what was happening. Same thing with some of the famous cases like A Boy Called It, IIRC.

Also, I don't have a problem with the mom being overjoyed about the return of her son. I would be too. But in the video, something about her affect seemed off to me, stagey. Like she was faking it. But that's just me.

The child was removed from his parent's home by CPS. Hopefully, they can now figure out what is going on and prevent another disappearance.
    Last edited by gitana1; 11-30-2011 at 03:23 AM. Reason: Bad spelling error and added info.
    For Elizabeth, a minor child, a victim. Thank God she is home!

*Gitana (means "Gypsy girl"). Pronounced "hee tah nah."

Quote Originally Posted by LadyL View Post
    perhaps if the parents had to actually pay for all these searches, they'd keep a better eye on him

the taxpayers should not be footing this bill IMO

I did notice in the video, dad was holding a pet with a head cone on - maybe they've been a bit distracted if they have a pet that just went through surgery and possibly their son is attention-seeking b/c the pet is getting more attention than usual

and perhaps he should actually be in big trouble (I hope there've been some consequences at home for the other incidents but I haven't read of any):

Devin's big concern when he was found is that he would be in big trouble. For his mother, Kerrilyn Frenette, all that mattered is that her little boy was now home safe.

Read more: http://www.wmur.com/news/29522914/de...#ixzz1cIs1ZBoa

he seems like an adorable kid but this is ridiculous and bordering on criminal neglect, regardless of whether he has any developmental issues - the parents need a better parenting plan IMO

BBM and that does not mean tethering him to a bed or putting him in a cage. sorry
    ~ krimekat ~
    Live in Peace & Peace will live in you

++++++++++++
    Forum Information & Esoterica

Quote Originally Posted by krimekat View Post
    BBM and that does not mean tethering him to a bed or putting him in a cage. sorry
    Do you have any ideas, yourself? I ask this question with full respect. I think these parents need ideas!

Something is definitely wrong with this "placement". Perhaps he needs a foster family with fewer children, where at least one parent is home all the time, and where parents are willing to go for some draconian measures to keep track of this child?

That said, this child is definitely abnormal, and needs parenting that far exceeds the standard "norms". He is exhibiting signs of severe sociopathy, ie, he is not responsive to conventional boundaries that conventional children tend to respect.

It sounds like this child needs an intensive, relentlessly therapeutic environment. Which involves a full time "therapist" parent, who is aware of this child's behavior at all times. What a job that would be.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast