Mail Order Diseases- a new Facebook Trend!

Wanting2Help

Reaction score
I thought this was very disturbing when I read this article!

Not sure if I am putting this in the right Forum?

http://www.kpho.com/story/15896021/cbs-5-investigates-mail-order-diseases

Doctors and medical experts are concerned about a new trend taking place on Facebook. Parents are trading live viruses through the mail in order to infect their children.

The Facebook group is called "Find a Pox Party in Your Area." According to the group's page, it is geared toward "parents who want their children to obtain natural immunity for the chicken pox."

more @ link

Yes, I first heard of this on the show called the DOCTORS on TV.
Very dangerous, playing with fire!

I can't imagine going to a Pox Party since we have a vaccine now, but back when my older two children were young, we didn't have the vaccine and it was not unusual for some of the mothers in our group of friends to purposely expose their child to Chicken Pox when one of the other children came down with it.

They don't even know the people they are getting Pox from in the mail. It could be anything that they are sending! Who knows what they are exposing their kids to!

I dont know what to think about this...

reason is..

I had got the chicken pox when I was 26 yrs old, of course, that was many a moon ago..
It was the worst thing ever to experience as a adult, jmo

I was baby sitting a baby who was 10 months old...she had the pox..I told her mother, not to worry, as I'm pretty sure I had the pox as a child, as a youth..

about a week or so later, we were packing the saddle bags on my 2nd hubby's harley...we were heading a road trip to myrtle beach bike week..

half way there, My body started to ache..I felt feverish, and itchy...

we had stopped to get gas, take a restroom break, and when I got off the back of the bike, and took off my hemlet, my husband , the look on his face was crazy..I went into the restroom and sure enuff, coverd head to toe..my face looked awful, my arms, legs, I was miserable..

we were to far down the road to turn around and come home..

I spent the entire bike week in a hot tent, and was miserable..
I didnt go to the rally...didnt want to be seen...

ill never forget it...

I kinda wish now, that as a child I would have been exposed to the pox...

i remember as a kid neighbors did this all the time with chicken pox or measles. not sure if it was the best thing to do but its what the drs use to tell them to do.

They don't even know the people they are getting Pox from in the mail. It could be anything that they are sending! Who knows what they are exposing their kids to!

I, too, think this is the issue, not that parents want to expose their children to chicken pox. Who knows what these people are sending or what they may do with your address. Not to mention, I don't even like touching a door handle after someone I don't know....I definitely wouldn't want some random person's germs!!

imawitch, that sounds MISERABLE, I am so sorry that happened to you!! They say that having chicken pox as an adult is not only extremely miserable but can be very dangerous. I have a friend whose mother got chicken pox as an adult. She was in her late 20s/early 30s and was pregnant. She ended up getting an infection in her lungs and died. So sad.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back