Missing Cell Phones #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wise Old Owl

Retired WS Staff & Founding member of AFKBPOFPOPL
Reaction score
Ok, here's a whole clean new thread.

Carry on.................

Thread #1: [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151083"]Missing cell phones - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

I wonder if JI borrowed the phone for this specific job or if he has a regular work phone from All Current Electric. I also wonder, how many people knew he was going to be gone from home that night?

Where did everybody go?

The cell phones are certainly fishy. I'm sure LE would have checked with the cell carrier and seen that the account was active/restricted or whatever. I REALLY don't understand why they said they couldn't make or recieve calls when it would be so easy to check. They already knew about the call and discounted it as being false, since their phones were on restricted service. So, they said this AFTER LE told them about the call? What would the purpose of that be?

mlc9852

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlpate
The call wasn't made from Jeremy's work phone, the one they called 911 from. As to who owns it, I would assume the company he worked for. I've not seen him listed under any particular company, thought he might just contract his work out. I've not found an electrician's license for him either, but Missouri may not post licensing information.

His company van was in his driveway but I can't remember the name of the company. The work he was doing at Starbucks was not his regular job. <modsnip>
(I did not write the last four sentences, mlc9852 did...just to be clear)

I kinda remember the name of the company that JI worked for was All Current Electric. I don't think that's who he was working for that night - the night job was actually a "side job". Please don't ask for links.

The company name that he worked for might be in the timeline.

I kinda remember the name of the company that JI worked for was All Current Electric. I don't think that's who he was working for that night - the night job was actually a "side job". Please don't ask for links.

I'm asking for links to JI working for his friend <modsnip>that night.

Wise Owl, I need to respond to a post on the first thread and I don't know the best way to do that. I'm trying to just copy and paste, but I'm screwing it up...help?

Where did everybody go?

The cell phones are certainly fishy. I'm sure LE would have checked with the cell carrier and seen that the account was active/restricted or whatever. I REALLY don't understand why they said they couldn't make or recieve calls when it would be so easy to check. They already knew about the call and discounted it as being false, since their phones were on restricted service. So, they said this AFTER LE told them about the call? What would the purpose of that be?

I want to repeat you to make sure I am clear with what you stated!
Parents said phones don't work, prior to and after LE claimed the phone(s) did? (or one phone -- or whatever was implied about phone use. This information didn't come from LE but Deborah that I am aware of -- so treading carefully!)

This is truly befuddling to me! UGH. I can only say something similar to a "child's lie" using the phones to embellish the story, and or possibly lying to cover a lose end?

Huge open end for me.

I have personally been frantic and reached by habit for a phone that did not work. I've discounted the JJ issue with the whole... "Why would they go after a phone that did not work".

I have also refrained from using a work phone for personal use, and questioned my sanity at times for doing so! (but made the emerg phone call!)

Entirely too many glaring discrepancies in their stories than to worry about that!

I'm asking for links to JI working for his friend <modsnip> that night.Wise Owl, I need to respond to a post on the first thread and I don't know the best way to do that. I'm trying to just copy and paste, but I'm screwing it up...help?

I don't think MSM has reported on this... yet.

All Current Electric is correct. It is a union shop.

The company name should be in the footage on the first day. The van parked in the driveway, along with reporters discussing JI's place of employment. I think JJ also may have said something about it. I know she visited Starbucks.

All Current Electric is correct. It is a union shop.

The company name should be in the footage on the first day. The van parked in the driveway, along with reporters discussing JI's place of employment. I think JJ also may have said something about it. I know she visited Starbucks.

How cool is this: www.allcurrentelectrickc.com

Class company.

I have two theories on the phones - ones that may have been discussed already.

1) It was a set-up and the phone call at ~2:30 was a red herring. The phones being "stolen" was all to cast blame in that direction. However, that takes a lot of foresight and coming up with who will it be pinpointed on, how to do it, etc.

OR

2) The phone call at ~2:30 was someone screwing up by leaving a trail back to the family somehow. Hence, the phones had to be "stolen" in order to claim innocence.

It seems so simple but for some reason the whole phone scenario became clear. I had been thinking there was something *on the phones* that needed to be hidden. However, I think that phone call is key to the phones being missing. And placing my bets on #2.

All speculation and MOO.

ETA: Wow, I see that taking a break some for a couple of days has left me in the dust here! I just went back and read about spoofing and framing and all kinds of stuff. My post seems pretty behind the times now....:eek:hoh:

I want to repeat you to make sure I am clear with what you stated!
Parents said phones don't work, prior to and after LE claimed the phone(s) did? (or one phone -- or whatever was implied about phone use. This information didn't come from LE but Deborah that I am aware of -- so treading carefully!)

This is truly befuddling to me! UGH. I can only say something similar to a "child's lie" using the phones to embellish the story, and or possibly lying to cover a lose end?

Huge open end for me.

I have personally been frantic and reached by habit for a phone that did not work. I've discounted the JJ issue with the whole... "Why would they go after a phone that did not work".

I have also refrained from using a work phone for personal use, and questioned my sanity at times for doing so! (but made the emerg phone call!)

Entirely too many glaring discrepancies in their stories than to worry about that!

Deb made the comment that LE told her about the call, but she said it couldn't be true because the both had tried to use the phones and they didn't work. Did they think LE was lying to them about the call and they really thought their phones didn't work or what?

By saying the phones were restricted and were taken along with Lisa, just seems to me that they were hoping whatever is on them will never be found out. LE did find infomation via phone records I believe even without the cells, as they knew to interview MW 4x.

Having the phones would be better...needle in a haystack.

Originally Posted by vlpate
That only effectively blocks the callers ID. The call will still show up on a bill from the "spoofing" number. Exercise in futility.
There was a ping from one of the phones, so the phone had to be there - again, nothing to do with spoofing.
BEM:
MW didn't say anything about JI and DB's phones being deactivated. Spoofing works on deactivated phones?
So they used the phone number from one of their phones to show up on MW's phone to frame her? Frame her how? The true phone number, from the spoofer's phone would still show up on the bill. Did said intruder know the phones were deactivated and so bought the spoofing feature with cash before going to the Bradwin's? ]I think LE will ask for MW's phone bills, maybe even subpoena them during the GJ process. They already know where the number that called her originated from - one of the "stolen" phones - or they wouldn't have contacted her.

katshep

Quote:

Responding to your arguments sequentially:

1. No, the spoofer's true phone number would not show up on the spoofer's bill. If the spoofer used one of the Bradwin's phone it would.

The spoofer does not have a phone bill. The spoofer purchases a prepaid phone and prepaid minutes for cash-- potentially untraceable. Just to be clear, one can spoof from one's own phone and without all the James Bond drama. You can do it at WalMart. No bills. No questions asked. The call shows up on the spoofed phone's bill and counts against the spoofed phone owner's minutes and the spoofed number is reflected on the account of the person who received the call. There is no record for the spoofer unless LE can assiduously figure out the spoofing and trace to a specific spoofing company and subpoena records. BTW,one of the major targets of spoofers is 911. It doesn't matter whether or not the spoofer knows the phones are suspended, the spoofer just uses a phone number to make a call to MW or whoever has her phone for whatever reason--maybe so that when the call is traced, the spoofer's number is not id'd. I don't know what the framing aspect is, but I do know that spoofing conceals who made the call on caller id and on the bill and buys time.

2. We have no evidence that the phone pinged from inside the house, outside the house or down the street. DB says she was told by LE that one of the phones pinged. If it was a spoof call using one of the Irwin numbers, it may have caused the ping. As long as the battery is in the phone, it pings. One has to turn off the phone and pull out the battery to deactivate the GPS.

3. That was my fast typing. Apologies. MW did not say that the phones were deactivated, DB did. Probably the wrong terminology by DB. Phone companies do not "deactivate" the phone for nonpayment without an initial window of suspension of phone service which is why DB was apparently reprogramming her phones. "Deactivation" occurs when the entire phone account is closed and terminated with loss of phone number. In contrast, during account suspension the number and the account still exist. Spoofing does work on suspended accounts because the suspended account still has a phone number. So long as the spoofed party has the same number, they continue to be spoofed. Suspension of the account does not affect spoofing. If a person who is spoofed, terminates his account and gives up his phone number, the spoofing usually stops unless the spoofer gets wind of the new number..

4. No, it will not show as the spoofer's actual number on the bill. It shows as the spoofed number. If it did show up on the bill as from the spoofer's actual phone number, this would not be the enormous identity theft problem that it is. You should learn more about it. It really is nefarious and hard to investigate and prosecute.It was made on JI or DB's phone, it will or has shown up on their bill as an outgoing call.

5, As to the framing, I don't know... that was not my theory. What I do know is that if spoofing is involved, that person is obstructing and delaying the disclosure of their identity from whomever might trace the call to MW.

6. I also think they will subpoena MW's phone bill or have her produce them voluntarily, if she hasn't already produced them. I agree there :)P
Last edited by katshep; Today at 09:12 PM. Reason: clarity
Red emphasis mine.

Deb made the comment that LE told her about the call, but she said it couldn't be true because the both had tried to use the phones and they didn't work. Did they think LE was lying to them about the call and they really thought their phones didn't work or what?

That's what I thought you were saying. I'm tired! Forgive me. I'm not so sure about the answer.

It could be that they were playing dumb about the phones working, yet it is interesting to me that grandfather gave DB his old phone which she was programming because her phone had no speakers (where I heard that I do not know but I am sure it was media.) I found it interesting that if the phones were not turned on why re-program your phone? ;)

So we know she had:

1.) A phone that wasn't working (speaker broken)
2.) A phone that was fine
Both above phones I understood Service available but "turned off" at the time for non pay"

3.) A phone given to DB by the grandfather which she was programming to replace her broken phone (not set up for service?)

I did not see any fingerprinting dust on the counter in the walk through with the reporter after the SW. I found that to be odd too.

Jeremy also had a phone 4.) that was a work phone.

I know three services that do not automatically shut off services when you don't pay. They allow calls through, but your calls out will be redirected to their billing for a certain time-frame. I am unaware of what service they used. I don't know which provider immediately cancels service if you are just past due -- lost on this one.

Initially, I've thought the cell story was to cover and add to the kidnapping story. Then that the phones didn't work to cover up the phone call made. I cannot see a clearer or making sense scenero better than that. Could a kidnapper take the phones? Absolutely makes sense. Could a kidnapper butt dial, possibly; however, it's a hard sell to me with everything else right now.

So many variations out there I've really had to go directly to what came out of parents mouth on this and releases from LE on this case. What a mess.

I have two theories on the phones - ones that may have been discussed already.

1) It was a set-up and the phone call at ~2:30 was a red herring. The phones being "stolen" was all to cast blame in that direction. However, that takes a lot of foresight and coming up with who will it be pinpointed on, how to do it, etc.

OR

2) The phone call at ~2:30 was someone screwing up by leaving a trail back to the family somehow. Hence, the phones had to be "stolen" in order to claim innocence.

It seems so simple but for some reason the whole phone scenario became clear. I had been thinking there was something *on the phones* that needed to be hidden. However, I think that phone call is key to the phones being missing. And placing my bets on #2.

All speculation and MOO.

The missing cell phones is one thing that I've found puzzling, and haven't commented on until now. No kidnapper stops to steal cell phones..........what would be the point in that?

I kept thinking that there must be something on one of those cell phones that could be traced back to the family. LE can subpoena the phone records and have a listing of each call made and received, and cross reference the phone numbers to individuals. It's pretty hard to conceal phone records, and LE found out about the 2:30am call because they did obtain the phone records.

So your option number 2 sounds right to me. The big question is who was that call at 2:30am from?

How cool is this: www.allcurrentelectrickc.com

Class company.

Impressive, but I am not surprised. I know Union Electricians stick together. The majority take the job and their responsibility seriously. HUGE difference between Union and Non in this area.

Local chat and sources I know, I've heard quite a bit of complaining that LI was working a side job. This is against Union rules. Alot of speculation there, so I don't question further.

It is not unusual for electrical jobs to start looking like a cake walk, but turn into a nightmare. So JI and DB claim that this job took longer and she was not concerned doesn't bother me. This could also be a good alibi? Could go either way.

Usually an electrician issued a service vehicle will be issued a work phone with that vehicle.

So I just did some quick reading on spoofing. It seems to me that you can make someone's number show up on caller ID or on a bill in "calls received". But I haven't seen anything that actually routes the call through someone's carrier - i.e., makes the call appear as if it originated on that phone or shows up on the spoofed bill. Make sense? IOW, to the end user (receiver), it looks like it came from xyz, but it will not show up on xyz's bill.

Am I understanding it correctly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member