Spreckels Mansion has been SOLD!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way this reads he lost millions because it was designated a heritage home? But the new investors group thinks they can sell it for big money? I can see getting rid of the home but that was quick? Love to know who is behind the purchase.

I don't blame him. I would never have set foot back in that house if I were him. I would never buy it and live there myself, either.

The 27-room mansion was built by John Spreckels, a one-time owner of the Hotel del Coronado who spread his influence throughout San Diego. Susan Vetter, a Coronado native, believes at some point people again will think of Spreckels when they see the house, and not so much of Shacknai or Zahau.

“I'm glad to see it sold,” she said. “We can get a fresh start and put all this behind us and get back to the history of that place.”

http://coronado.patch.com/articles/...een-sold-zahau-shacknai-suicide-investigation

I'm glad this woman isn't my neighbor. If this is the prevailing attitude in Coronado... then I truly have no words.

The 27-room mansion was built by John Spreckels, a one-time owner of the Hotel del Coronado who spread his influence throughout San Diego. Susan Vetter, a Coronado native, believes at some point people again will think of Spreckels when they see the house, and not so much of Shacknai or Zahau.

“I'm glad to see it sold,” she said. “We can get a fresh start and put all this behind us and get back to the history of that place.”

http://coronado.patch.com/articles/...een-sold-zahau-shacknai-suicide-investigation

I'm glad this woman isn't my neighbor. If this is the prevailing attitude in Coronado, then Ugh is all I can say.

A fresh start? There are no "do overs" when it comes to history....They can paint the walls and change the carpet but Rebecca and MS have become part of the history of the Spreckels Mansion and their tradgedies and subsequent injustice will be discussed, talked about, investigated and remembered more than Mr. Spreckels himself. JMO.

http://www.cbs8.com/story/15919335/infamous-coronado-mansion-sold

The Coronado-based listing agent, Scott Aurich, told News 8 he was contacted a few weeks ago by the mansion's owner, Jonah Shacknai, 54, who asked him to negotiate a deal.

"The mansion at 1043 Ocean Blvd is currently under contract to a local developer who is going to restore the home to its original luster and make some of the modifications that were approved by the (City of Coronado) Historical Resource Commission and do his own modifications as well as those that don't require approval," said Aurich.

The 12-bedroom, 11-bathroom home and estate will be put on the market this week in case someone wants to purchase it as is, at a reduced price. "It has not hit the MLS but it's effectively for sale right now," said Aurich.

Shacknai purchased the home in 2007 for $12.7 million. He had hoped to keep the property through retirement, according to Aurich, but the recent tragic events made it impossible for the Arizona pharmaceutical tycoon to return to the seaside home where he vacationed during summer months.
"He's done with it," Aurich said. "His motivation was to just be done and move on. He's no longer part of the deal. He just doesn't want to think for focus on the house anymore."

I am not surprised at all. The Ramseys never went back to their home in Boulder, Ronald Cummings never went back to his home in Satsuma, the Irwins didn't go back to their home in Kansas City. All these people are quite different, but none of them want to be around any triggers and could depress them.

Flipping is huge and robust business around here. No surprise that some investors smelled a good deal and were all over it.
Good luck with that flip though.

The mansion is currently listed online for $14.5 million

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1043-Ocean-Blvd-Coronado-CA-92118/2123438332_zpid/

It hardly seems worth the money in its current state. As we've seen from various photos, Shacknai never updated the interior or even maintained it very well. Once a beautiful mansion, it looks slightly shabby and run down. I guess he was one of those really cheap rich people who doesn't like to spend money to fix things up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd