Poverty's fatal wages: San Antonio man, seeking warmth, killed by trash compactor

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Victim thus far unnamed.

Man killed by trash compactor on South Side (San Antonio Express-News)
A man was killed and another injured early Monday when both were dropped into a trash compactor truck from a large trash bin they had been sleeping in on the South Side, officials said.
---
Two men believed to be homeless and trying to stay warm were asleep inside the bin, Guidry said, but the driver wasn't aware of them until Richard Salinas, 43, climbed out of the truck and knocked on the window. Salinas told the driver to stop, Guidry said, but the other man, said to be in his 50s, had already been injured.
---
First responders were called and paramedics worked on the man, whose condition reportedly worsened before he was taken to San Antonio Military Medical Center. He was pronounced dead there around 6 a.m., Guidry said.
---
the rest at the link above

Sadly, I fear that this will happen more and more often. There have likely been untold numbers of others who have lost their lives in this way, yet were never detected.

What a tragic way to lose one's life--as if being homeless wasn't tragic enough, this is like adding insult to injury.

Rest in peace.

What has this world come to? :(

A tragic accident but the man involved is not without responsibility for what happened to him. We don't know why he was homeless, perhaps due to drugs or alchohol. For whatever reason he was homeless - but to crawl into a dumpster is just dumb.

“It's just a very unsafe environment,” Doughty said. “Anyone sleeping in a Dumpster does not know when the Dumpster is being serviced, and anyone who does that is at risk.”

Society is not to blame for this death.

I won't call the guys dumb, no way, but I will say uninformed and not very street savvy. Perhaps their plight was a new one and it didn't occur to them to know the comings and goings of the night. Dumpster sleeping will not stop, but I'm pretty sure most know the schedule of the pick ups... Tragic, in every sense of the word. :(

I won't call the guys dumb, no way, but I will say uninformed and not very street savvy. Perhaps their plight was a new one and it didn't occur to them to know the comings and goings of the night. Dumpster sleeping will not stop, but I'm pretty sure most know the schedule of the pick ups... Tragic, in every sense of the word. :(

Agreed. I just thought the comment "what has this world come to" as though society was to blame, needed rebuttle.

I certainly wouldn't call them dumb either. And I agree what has our society come to, since many see problems like drug and alcohol abuse, as well as homelessness, to be societal problems. Our society sets the rules, such as allowing citizens to freely purchase alcohol, a substance that has many deaths on its record, as well as being highly addictive and destructive to the user.

When you're cold, you don't care where you go that is warm. If it's a Dumpster, then fine, it's a Dumpster...but it's a warm Dumpster. Possibly they had gotten street intel that this area wasn't picked up until later in the day, or maybe they just intended to warm up or sleep in shifts, so that one could wake the other if the truck came by. Then they both fell asleep.

We don't know why he was homeless. He was human. He may have had problems in his life. He had family, and he had friends. He had purpose. Let's not dismiss him so quickly. Look around at what the US has become, and what we are becoming every day; a third-world country. Today it was him, tomorrow it could very well be one of us.

I certainly wouldn't call them dumb either. And I agree what has our society come to, since many see problems like drug and alcohol abuse, as well as homelessness, to be societal problems. Our society sets the rules, such as allowing citizens to freely purchase alcohol, a substance that has many deaths on its record, as well as being highly addictive and destructive to the user.

When you're cold, you don't care where you go that is warm. If it's a Dumpster, then fine, it's a Dumpster...but it's a warm Dumpster. Possibly they had gotten street intel that this area wasn't picked up until later in the day, or maybe they just intended to warm up or sleep in shifts, so that one could wake the other if the truck came by. Then they both fell asleep.

We don't know why he was homeless. He was human. He may have had problems in his life. He had family, and he had friends. He had purpose. Let's not dismiss him so quickly. Look around at what the US has become, and what we are becoming every day; a third-world country. Today it was him, tomorrow it could very well be one of us.

No one's forcing substances down anyone's throat. Perhaps we're becoming a third world country due to the lack of personal responsibilty and this liberal notion that we should be taken care of from birth to earth, and whatever happens to me "it's not my fault". We've lost the work ethic that this country was founded on. I was not quick to dismiss him and wonder I where you got that bizarre notion. How is society to blame for this man's death?

No one's forcing substances down anyone's throat. Perhaps we're becoming a third world country due to the lack of personal responsibilty and this liberal notion that we should be taken care of from birth to earth, and whatever happens to me "it's not my fault". We've lost the work ethic that this country was founded on. I was not quick to dismiss him and wonder I where you got that bizarre notion. How is society to blame for this man's death?

Maybe society is disintegrating due to the ultra-conservative notion that we are all only responsible for ourselves and to ourselves. For ourselves, yes. To ourselves, no.

I never once said that you, specifically dismissed him. There is a generally dismissive attitude when it comes to the lives and deaths of transient or homeless individuals. I never once singled you out, although I apologize if it seemed that I did. It can sometimes be hard to convey the appropriate sentiment in type.

Who's responsibility is it? I don't know. Yes, this man climbed into the Dumpster of his own free will. But how many of the steps leading up that Dumpster were truly his fault? How many were the fault of a society that sees people as a number on their credit report or doesn't treat our mentally ill as human once they are diagnosed? (No, I don't know that this man was mentally ill, but I know a good deal of our homeless are.)

Maybe society is disintegrating due to the ultra-conservative notion that we are all only responsible for ourselves and to ourselves. For ourselves, yes. To ourselves, no.
I never once said that you, specifically dismissed him. There is a generally dismissive attitude when it comes to the lives and deaths of transient or homeless individuals. I never once singled you out, although I apologize if it seemed that I did. It can sometimes be hard to convey the appropriate sentiment in type.

Who's responsibility is it? I don't know. Yes, this man climbed into the Dumpster of his own free will. But how many of the steps leading up that Dumpster were truly his fault? How many were the fault of a society that sees people as a number on their credit report or doesn't treat our mentally ill as human once they are diagnosed? (No, I don't know that this man was mentally ill, but I know a good deal of our homeless are.)

That's interesting given that conservatives give far more in personal charitable contributions a year than liberals could ever dream of. Liberals only give away other peoples money and spout a lot of rhetoric IMO. They need to put their money where their mouths are.

That's interesting given that conservatives give far more in personal charitable contributions a year than liberals could ever dream of. Liberals only give away other peoples money and spout a lot of rhetoric IMO. They need to put their money where their mouths are.

It was not meant as a political statement. Seriously, I hate politics, I know very little about how those particular wheels turn and I am perfectly happy that way. I was meaning more in terms of the way that people think, ideologies and such, not political. I don't do politics.

To quote you
"Our society sets the rules, such as allowing citizens to freely purchase alcohol, a substance that has many deaths on its record, as well as being highly addictive and destructive to the user'.

"A substance that has many deaths on it's record". The alcohol is to blame - not the people who abuse it? Thank you for making my point. :tyou: Cars have many deaths on their records as well? - of course not - it's the people behind the wheel. Let's all assume the fetal position and hope the government will come and change our diapers and feed us. The politics of this country have become more liberal and as you claim " Look around at what the US has become, and what we are becoming every day; a third-world country." ergo it must be liberal politics that's to blame and not a notion as in "disintegrating due to the ultra-conservative notion ". A notion is merely an idea incapable of anything.
no·tion   /ˈnoʊʃən/ Show Spelled[noh-shuhn] Show IPA
noun
1.a general understanding; vague or imperfect conception or idea of something: a notion of how something should be done.
2.an opinion, view, or belief:

Well this 'notion' of "allowing citizens to freely purchase alcohol" or freely do anything, I mean we must put and end to that.

To quote you
"Our society sets the rules, such as allowing citizens to freely purchase alcohol, a substance that has many deaths on its record, as well as being highly addictive and destructive to the user'.

"A substance that has many deaths on it's record". The alcohol is to blame - not the people who abuse it? Thank you for making my point. :tyou: Cars have many deaths on their records as well? - of course not - it's the people behind the wheel. Let's all assume the fetal position and hope the government will come and change our diapers and feed us. The politics of this country have become more liberal and as you claim " Look around at what the US has become, and what we are becoming every day; a third-world country." ergo it must be liberal politics that's to blame and not a notion as in "disintegrating due to the ultra-conservative notion ". A notion is merely an idea incapable of anything.
no·tion   /ˈnoʊʃən/ Show Spelled[noh-shuhn] Show IPA
noun
1.a general understanding; vague or imperfect conception or idea of something: a notion of how something should be done.
2.an opinion, view, or belief:

Well this 'notion' of "allowing citizens to freely purchase alcohol" or freely do anything, I mean we must put and end to that.

First, don't talk politics to me, cuz I don't get it. As I said, I was referring to personal ideologies and ways of thinking...not political anything. I wasn't speaking against our free choice as citizens, but, what I'm saying is that we allow people to drink, we set the stage for people to destroy themselves and then sit back and let it happen. I don't feel that anyone, regardless of the how bad their alcoholism or how long they have been that way, ever intended to become addicted to alcohol or any other substance, for that matter. Sometimes we have to watch out for other people. If you read my post, I never once insinuated the government should save us. I do feel that people are responsible for themselves, and their actions...but, there comes a point where our people become non-people, and from that point on, only outside influence is going to help, no amount of personal responsibility will get them out of that hole.

I feel I'm being taken way out of context here, so I'll slowly back away from this thread. It's obvious that we don't feel the same, and therefore we can't agree. I'll agree to disagree. Rest this man's soul, and I hope the friend that was with him can find some sort of comfort.

:goodpost:

but, what I'm saying is that we allow people to drink, we set the stage for people to destroy themselves and then sit back and let it happen.

I totally disagree. Prohibition didn't stop anyone from drinking so it's not about what we allow, perhaps more about what we can't stop. You can't protect people from themselves. We set our own stages and we provide places for them to get help should they choose to seek it. To blame society for the outcome of their choices and free will is just wrong.

Poor guy. And there are plenty of homeless people who didn't get there because of drugs or drinking and even when they do, often it's self-medicating. Mental illness is a huge factor. The more we cut from mental health budgets, and other social services, the more homeless we will see.

Poor guy. I wish we could live in a world with no homeless or hungry people. Sadly I don't believe I will ever see that world in my lifetime. RIP poor guy.

A tragic accident but the man involved is not without responsibility for what happened to him. We don't know why he was homeless, perhaps due to drugs or alchohol. For whatever reason he was homeless - but to crawl into a dumpster is just dumb.

“It's just a very unsafe environment,” Doughty said. “Anyone sleeping in a Dumpster does not know when the Dumpster is being serviced, and anyone who does that is at risk.”

Society is not to blame for this death.

What is society responsible for then? Providing police protection in the Hamptons?

The financial cost of homeless shelters is minimal compared to the human toll of closing such shelters, as we have been doing for 30 years.

In this state in 2007 the homeless population was at 28.2% in 2007.

It has jumped in the past couple of years due to the recession. These people are being banned from public places -camping on the beaches, in one particular sweep of the beaches they were further dislocated and a percentage were placed in newly built housing for the homeless but there isn't enough housing. Their pets were taken away by the SPCA and euthenized.

In 2008, a lawsuit forced this state to provide equal education opportunites to homeless children.

Do some homeless have substance addiction issues? Sure. So do a lot of people who live in suburbia. JMHO. Do those of us that make life choices that put us in untenable situations (such as substance addiction for example, or marrying someone that beats us and we have to flee that situation...etc.) deserve less than what every human being deserves by right of birth? Respect, dignity, food, shelter..etc?

I do believe in personal accountability. But I also believe in helping hands.

This isn't a political problem, this is a humanity problem. It's an issue of compassion and a willingness to say --- there but for the grace of God go I---what can I do to help?

I can't imagine having to sleep in a garbage bin in order to stay warm for the night. I can't imagine not having food to feed my kids or a door to lock to keep them safe at night.

This problem is only going to get worse as our economy continues to struggle and more and more of those that were comfortable find themselves in dire straits. All JMHO (and a few statistics thrown in too :))

It's society's fault when we won't provide a safe place for them to camp-- a place with bathrooms and showers, like I enjoy at any State Park. Sheesh, people fall on hard times, but to have them so desperate as to have to sleep in some random dumpster, yes, that's our collective problem, imo. Issue a tent, disposable sleeping bags, and a plot number in a campsite. Not so hard. MOO

Also, I don't drink a lick, and I don't do drugs. But, if I were outside 24/7, with no creature comforts, I would do BOTH just to endure it. Just sayin'.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rangelmcguire
Back