VA - Elsie Wallace, 86, dies of extreme neglect, Richmond, 18 April 2011

Tinsamd

Justice for Shaniya!!!!
Reaction score
This is very hard to read, just fyi. This story is local to me & was all anyone talked about today. Bless her heart, she deserved so much better. :-(

This case just went to court, didn't see a thread.

The defense argument that she needed to be "in control" is just laughable to me... Doesn't sound like she had any control over her situation. Stubborn? Maybe, I didn't know her; but a lot of older folks can be. None of which I figure would opt to waste away on a sofa without any care what so ever... Maggots on her body while she was still alive... Lil out of control of the situation if you ask me.

http://www.nbc12.com/story/15929497/continuing-coverage-elder-abuse-case-in-richmond

The details are graphic-- accounts of flies coming out of Elsie Wallace's mouth and detailed pictures of her pressure ulcers that turned black. But, the defense is arguing that Elsie Wallace needed to be in control, and her condition wasn't necessarily her son's responsibility.

Court testimony shows Elsie Wallace lived with her adult son until her death on April 18th. For months, she'd lived on a couch inside, and that's where first responders found her dead that morning.

Witnesses testified that Elsie Wallace was covered in so many flies, that the EMT had to swat at her body to check for injuries. the medical examiner also found maggots in her ulcers.

Her son, Richard, found her and called the ambulance. He told responders that she spent her final days on a couch in the living room, unable to get up between November and April of 2010. In her last week, she was unable to speak.

Elsie had ulcers on her back, buttocks and foot that had turned black and maggots in her foot and groin area.

The medical examiner ruled her official cause of death as sepsis due to gangrene, which means bacteria likely entered her bloodstream through the ulcers and killed her.

We also learned that Richard Wallace hasn't worked in several years and lived off his mother's income, and that his mother hadn't seen a doctor in years.

http://www.nbc12.com/story/15926028/trial-for-man-accsued-of-neglecting-elderly-mother-begins

RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - Testimony is underway in the trial of a man accused of neglect in connection with the death of his mother.

Richard Wallace's mother was found on her couch in April, covered in flies and filth.

Autopsy results show she died of sepsis and complications due to gangrene.

In opening arguments, prosecutors say Wallace neglected his mother, causing her death.

The defense says she was a hoarder and refused to see doctors.

Wallace has pleaded not guilty. He is expected to testify.

http://www.nbc12.com/story/15919716/gruesome-elder-abuse-case-slated-for-richmond-court

Court records indicate Wallace's mother had dementia. Prosecutors say things got so bad, she actually had maggots on her body- while she was still alive.

OMG this makes me angry and sick beyond words!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
galluvstrucrime
Back