Identified! FL - Riviera Beach, WhtMale 179UMFL, >60, w/ .22 rifle, Jan'96 - Name not found

CarlK90245

UID Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Doe Network:
Case File 179UMFL
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/179umfl.html
NamUs UP Case 1115 https://identifyus.org/cases/1115
179UMFL.jpg

Sketch of Victim

Unidentified White Male

Located on January 2, 1996 in West Palm Beach, Florida
Estimated Date of Death: between 6 - 8 months prior to discovery.
State of Remains: Skeletal

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 60 - 70 years old.
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'8 - 6'1"; 150 - 200 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: He had grey hair.
Skeletal Findings: He had undergone an operation on his spine.
Clothing: He was wearing an army style hooded jacket; a black long-sleeve button-down shirt and brown lace up boots.
Personal Effects: He had two keys on a metal key ring with a white plastic tag which read Love. It had a US Postal Box key #68887. 22 caliber rifle with 2 banana clips.
Dentals: His teeth had been removed many years ago and he apparently did not wear false teeth.
DNA: Available.

Case History
The victim was located off I-95, North of Blue Heron Boulevard, Rivera Beach, FL. A .22-caliber rifle was found near him.

The remains may be related to a May 25, 1995 incident in which reports of an armed man in military fatigues caused the evacuation of the new Veterans Administration medical center on Beeline Highway and Blue Heron.

The remains were found a few miles northeast of the medical center.

Here's an MP case that I have not seen before, and just showed up in NAMPN yesterday:

James Aaron Toole:
2219262400045078242_zps2d4b9a67.jpg

http://www.nampn.org/cases/toole_james.html

There's not a lot of corroboration on the circumstantial details, but he was headed to Florida 8 months earlier, his age is right, he had grey hair, he appears to be toothless from the compressed appearance of his jaw,

And he sure looks like the recon.

2219262400045078242_zps2d4b9a67.jpg
179UMFL.jpg

He sure does resemble the Recon! You should submit him Carl, I think you found another match.

And if, in fact, he's the one that cause the evacuation, that was just 10 days after he was last seen!

I called the West Palm Beach Medical Examiner's office and left a message with the Houston County (Alabama) Sheriff's office to ask that they look into it.

A woman at the Houston County office (not the detective assigned to the case) looked at the case and said that the case was closed in 2004, and then re-opened. She said that it appeared that he was located, but the notes in the casefile were not clear as to whether he was actually found, or if the case was closed in error.

His family has a facebook page set up for him, and they mention nothing about him being located in 2004. They say that he was last seen May 15, 1995. BTW, he apparently went by his middle name Aaron, not his first name James. I sent a FB private message to his granddaughter indicating that I had called this in.

As I was typing this message, I got the call back from the detective in charge of Aaron's case. He took down the info, asked if there was any mention of a vehicle found with the remains. I responded no, but indicated that there was a .22 rifle with two banana clips next to the remains and a US postal box key (serial #68887). He seemed interested in that info, and said that he would get right on it and he will call me back.

I see a strong resemblence, but I am thrown off by the enormous difference in Mr. Toole's listed ht of 5'6" and the top range of 6'1" for the UID. Also, nothing mentioned about Mr. Toole having a military background or spinal surgery. Those are questions hopefully his family can answer.

Also unsure about how the location of the ears are done on recons. The recons ears sit much higher than Mr. Toole's. Carl, do you know how they determine the placement of the ears on recons for skeletal remains?

Also, any idea why there is a difference of a full 5" ht range for the UID? that seems a little big to me.

I see a strong resemblence, but I am thrown off by the enormous difference in Mr. Toole's listed ht of 5'6" and the top range of 6'1" for the UID. Also, nothing mentioned about Mr. Toole having a military background or spinal surgery. Those are questions hopefully his family can answer.

Also unsure about how the location of the ears are done on recons. The recons ears sit much higher than Mr. Toole's. Carl, do you know how they determine the placement of the ears on recons for skeletal remains?

Also, any idea why there is a difference of a full 5" ht range for the UID? that seems a little big to me.

Considering a couple of recent matches where the height was completely off on either the MP or UID side, I don't put excessive reliance on a height discrepancy if the other factors are compelling.

The same goes for unmentioned physical conditions, personal histories, and dental characteristics. You can't assume that important info that isn't mentioned is a contradiction.

I got a call-back from the Houston County Alabama detective in charge of James A. Toole's MP file. He said that he had the DoeNetwork UID casefile in front of him and he agreed that this UID does look very much like Mr. Toole.

He browsed through the details of the two cases as we were talking on the phone. He commented that Mr. Toole's MP casefile is quite thick, and they put quite a bit of time into trying to solve this. He says that it was odd that they never located any sign of him, not even his car. They recently pulled a car out of a river, and thought initially that it might be his car, but it turned out that it was a stolen car, and was not his.

I asked where in Florida he was headed, and he responded that he was headed for Plant City (which is not far from Tampa).

I asked if he had any indication in his casefile that he was missing all of his teeth. He didn't see anything on dentals. But they have recently taken DNA from family members, so hopefully they can verify it on DNA.

Hopefully, they have a DNA profile on the UID. Just thinking to myself that it will probably have to be a nucDNA comparison because if only his decendents (i.e., children and grandchildren) are available, they won't be able to compare Mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA). They would have to locate a living sibling (if he had one) or a neice or nephew related to him by way of their mother (i.e, his sister) in order to be able to compare mtDNA. Odds are that they wouldn't be able to locate such a relative.

But he says that he will look into it, and he will let me know if he finds anything out about this.

I got a call-back from the Houston County Alabama detective in charge of James A. Toole's MP file. He said that he had the DoeNetwork UID casefile in front of him and he agreed that this UID does look very much like Mr. Toole.

He browsed through the details of the two cases as we were talking on the phone. He commented that Mr. Toole's MP casefile is quite thick, and they put quite a bit of time into trying to solve this. He says that it was odd that they never located any sign of him, not even his car. They recently pulled a car out of a river, and thought initially that it might be his car, but it turned out that it was a stolen car, and was not his.

I asked where in Florida he was headed, and he responded that he was headed for Plant City (which is not far from Tampa).

I asked if he had any indication in his casefile that he was missing all of his teeth. He didn't see anything on dentals. But they have recently taken DNA from family members, so hopefully they can verify it on DNA.

Hopefully, they have a DNA profile on the UID. Just thinking to myself that it will probably have to be a nucDNA comparison because if only his decendents (i.e., children and grandchildren) are available, they won't be able to compare Mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA). They would have to locate a living sibling (if he had one) or a neice or nephew related to him by way of their mother (i.e, his sister) in order to be able to compare mtDNA. Odds are that they wouldn't be able to locate such a relative.

But he says that he will look into it, and he will let me know if he finds anything out about this.

Carl, OMG.. .I was just looking at James Toole on Doe Network than looked for UID's in FL (since his file said he could have been headed to Central FL) and found this one.... I then just joined The FB page made for James and was going to contact the granddaughter to see if he had teeth (since the UID didn't have any). I then come on here to do a search on the UID and find out you beat me to the punch!!! I even had my co workers look at the two pics to see if they thought they looked alike and they agreed!

Did you ever hear back from the granddaughter or the Detective in charge of James's case?

Did you ever hear back from the granddaughter or the Detective in charge of James's case?

Yes, the granddaughter did reply. She said her sister found this thread and called her to mention details of it. She knows about this UID case, and agreed that there was a strong resemblance.

She says that he was in the military when he was younger, but he didn't talk much about it.

His listed height (5'6") is based on his driver's license, but he might have been a bit taller, perhaps 5'8", but not anywhere near 6'0"

She said that the clothing didn't jibe with what he normally wore, and she is unaware of any spine surgery he might have undergone.

She thanked me for my interest in the case, and welcomes any info that anyone might be able to provide.

I replied that the detective in Alabama says that he is going to look into it. So even if it isn't likely to be him, at least we can know for sure.

Yes, the granddaughter did reply. She said her sister found this thread and called her to mention details of it. She knows about this UID case, and agreed that there was a strong resemblance.

She says that he was in the military when he was younger, but he didnt' talk much about it.

His listed height (5'6") is based on his driver's license, but he might have been a bit taller, perhaps 5'8", but not anywhere near 6'0"

She said that the clothing didn't jibe with what he normally wore, and she is unaware of any spine surgery he might have undergone.

She thanked me for my interest in the case, and welcomes any info that anyone might be able to provide.

I replied that the detective in Alabama says that he is going to look into it. So even if it isn't likely to be him, at least we can know for sure.

Did the granddaughter say anything about if James had teeth or not?

I just wanted to say "Thank you" to each and everyone of you. You do not understand what this means to our family. Any interest in my Papa's missing persons case is GREATLY welcomed. He was a great man and is missed each and every day that he's been gone.
Thank you again.
Ashley

I just wanted to say "Thank you" to each and everyone of you. You do not understand what this means to our family. Any interest in my Papa's missing persons case is GREATLY welcomed. He was a great man and is missed each and every day that he's been gone.
Thank you again.
Ashley

Do you know if he had mental issues before his disappearance?

Thank you again.
Ashley

:praying: I'm praying you have answers soon, Ashley! :hug:

Thank you again.
Ashley

Welcome to Websleuths Ashley!! I just joined your papa's FB page this afternoon.. Hope you get answers soon. No family deserves not knowing what happened to their loved one.

http://www2.dothaneagle.com/news/20...rching-grandfather-missing-17-yea-ar-3785797/

The afternoon of May 15, 1995 seemed like a typical one for the Morrow sisters.

Ashley, then in sixth grade, would be dropped off by the school bus at the home of her grandfather, James Aaron Toole, to wait for her 16-year-old sister, Amanda, to pick her up.

On this day, however, Amanda arrived at Toole’s Pansey-area home earlier than expected and had a somewhat lengthy conversation with the man she called Papa.

More at link

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rainydaze17
Back