Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Penn State's athletic director plus ex-Paterno assistant charged in child sex case

When the mother (of Victim #6) confronted Sandusky, he said: “I understand. I was wrong. I wish I could get forgiveness. I know I won’t get it from you. I wish I were dead,” according the presentment from the grand jury.

An investigator for Children and Youth Services broke the news to the mother: It was all a big mistake, the mother said she was told. The police officer who investigated won’t comment. Neither will the former police chief.

“Jerry Sandusky admitted to my face, he admitted it,” the mother said. “He admitted that he lathered up my son they were naked and he bear-hugged him. If they would have done something about it in 1998, and then again in 2002 — there was two chances they dropped the ball and I think they should all be held accountable.”

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind...ry_sandus.html

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to JoeFromLB For This Useful Post:

Another alleged victim has contacted the police:

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...e-penn-state/1

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JoeFromLB For This Useful Post:

This really hits home for me. I went to high school with Jerry. He was in my graduating class.

Jerry's father was a pillar of goodness in our home town of Washington, Pa. He opened a center for children from poor families to experience team sports. Everyone remembers the family who gave so much to the youth of the community. Jerry was just an ordinary guy who played baseball and football from pre-teen to high school age.

His high school classmates, me included, were led to believe that Jerry was slated to take over the head coaching job at Penn State once Joe resigned. It was our local guy makes good story. Then the story was that Joe went back on his promise and decided he would not retire and Jerry was out of the picture. There was a general feeling of hate toward Penn State and Coach Joe among us all.

However, now, after reading (especially the Grand Jury findings) and discussing this with other former classmates, we now see that the Jerry's fate was much different when the head coaching job was not offered to him.

To say I'm shocked, is almost funny. I've been sick about this all week, mainly for the child victims. This should have been stopped long ago. No one stepped up and did what morally and legally should have been done.

It's going to be a long, long time for Penn State to live past this horrible story.

just my O
    The Hokey Pokey Clinic - A good place to turn yourself around:

6. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to azwriter For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JoeFromLB View Post
    Sandusky, through his attorney, denies all the charges. Attorney Joe Amendola, said Sandusky attributes the allegations to troubled kids who are acting out.

Wow that's shocking!

I wonder what the kids were wearing?
    Buttons updated 08-13-2014

Thinking of Sue

Thanks Steadfast for the spinning Buffalo Bills Emu

Made by HD ----->

Warning: Some buttons may be offensive!
    BAD WORDS AND OFFENSIVE MATERIAL, BRIEF NUDITY
    AND STUFF LIKE THAT THERE!!

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Steely Dan For This Useful Post:

Heckuva great read re: the effect of this scandal on those who have grown up and/or lived in State College, in the shadow of the seemingly inviolable "Paterno monolith."

Growing Up Penn State (Michael Weinreb, in Grantland)
    The end of everything at State College
    ---
    Everything in State College — even the name of our town — was one all-encompassing, synergistic monolith, and Joe Paterno was our benevolent dictator, and nothing truly bad ever happened, and even when it did, it was easier just to blot it from our lives and move on.
    ---
    I know that I'm in denial. I know that I'm working through multiple layers of anger and disgust and neurosis and angst. I know that I'm too emotionally attached to the situation to offer any kind of objective take, though I don't think I realized how emotionally attached I was until this occurred.
    ---
    If it means that this is how Joe Paterno goes out, then so be it; if it means that 30 years of my own memories of Penn State football are forever tarnished, then I will accept it in the name of finding some measure of justice. Every sane person I know agrees on this.
    ---
    We've come to terms with the corruptibility of the human soul in State College, and we've swept away the naïve notion that this place where we lived so quietly was different from the rest of America.
    ---
    The place where I grew up is gone, and it's not coming back.
    Much more of this fine, searching essay at link above.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

Welll, I knew this thread would be here. As a 1989 alum I am still reeling. When I heard "assistant coach" I was shocked. When I heard Jerry Sandusky I was reeling. Sandusky and Second Mile were big things at PSU in the 80s. And I haven't read this thread yet but the GA who saw the worst reported episode is reported to be Mike McQueary who I remember from his QB days (he looks just like my brother, another PSU alum..tall and redhead). I am sick, just sick.
    My Twitter handle is @Lovemypupper . I had to change it due to rabid Kate Gosselin fans. Seriously. I'm not kidding.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to strawberry For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I was disappointed that people were upset with Paterno. Going on the assumption innocent until proven guilty I ran through what Paterno's thinking could have been: A student came and reported an assault, Paterno did not see the incident, it was a serious allegation, but the student hadn't reported it to the police so is what the student telling accurate? That leads me to think that Paterno reported it to his superior because he was concerned and it also was probably the schools policy to do so. Again, I think he was questioning the credibility of the student who reported it when finding out the student didn't go to the police. ......Then I read that this student now works for paterno on the team. That blew any defense I had for Paterno. IF he knew Sandusky wasn't arrested after reporting the incident to his higher ups then I assume he would think the student was lying. So why would he hire the student, a person who would make such horrendous false allegations?! But since he did hire him, Paterno must value his judgement therefore, paterno should have notified the police when he heard the story and/or when he found out the AD/superiors did not notify police. This wasn't a theft, robbery, test cheating, paying players kind of thing that 'we'll try to sweep under the rug'. This was the sexual assault of a child by a man they know involves himself with children based programs! This disgusts me! People, EVERYONE, need to look at any abusive/questionable situation and immediately question "if this was my child, brother, sister, me, what should I do?". I didn't say 'would do' because obviously they wouldn't do anything! IMO. Apologies for incoherent statements, it has taken me an hour to get this typed and if I could get the exploding head smiley to work this post would be one HUGE exploding head!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Fessel View Post
    The only reason this school hired the grad student after the rape was to keep his mouth shut. I bet anything he is getting far more money and power that is normal for the position he holds. Why is he still working?
    Yes, he's hard to miss on the sidelines, he's the tall redhead guy. He used to be a QB as well. My brother (his doppleganger), a diehard PSU football fan said, now we know how he got that job....
    My Twitter handle is @Lovemypupper . I had to change it due to rabid Kate Gosselin fans. Seriously. I'm not kidding.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to strawberry For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pinkfly View Post
    As stinky as this is I am sure glad to see the light of day cast over the situation. I listened to an interesting debate on my local radio today. They all cared much more about protecting JoPa than the children but the moderator did say that this must feel to Penn like the priest cover-up felt to the Catholic church.

Big fall from grace.
    Get this. Earlier this year my little parish''s priest, Monignor Lynn, was indicted for covering up sex abuse in the Phila Archdiocese. I'm a Penn Stater. It's like deja vu all over again. But in some ways worse.

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to strawberry For This Useful Post:

I have met Joe Paterno over the 5 years my son played Football at Rutgers and we played Penn State. On two occasions, Joe has helped me tremendously when my son got severely injured on the football field and when my husband got very sick at the game and was rushed to the emergency room. I was 3 1/2 hours away from home when my husband was admitted and Joe was so supportive and helped me so much during both times.

I am SHOCKED to learn that Joe did NOT go that extra mile and report what he learned regarding the student to the University police. I am just so darn DISGUSTED!!!!!
    Pekingese "Best Of Show" 2012

18. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Patty G For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Patty G View Post
    I have met Joe Paterno over the 5 years my son played Football at Rutgers and we played Penn State. On two occasions, Joe has helped me tremendously when my son got severely injured on the football field and when my husband got very sick at the game and was rushed to the emergency room. I was 3 1/2 hours away from home when my husband was admitted and Joe was so supportive and helped me so much during both times.

I am SHOCKED to learn that Joe did NOT go that extra mile and report what he learned regarding the student to the University police. I am just so darn DISGUSTED!!!!!
    That's what makes this so shocking..he has such a rep as a good guy, squeaky clean, and beloved...

http://twitpic.com/7c8n10

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to strawberry For This Useful Post:

believe09 is offline For nothing is secret that will not be revealed
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeFromLB View Post
    Sandusky, through his attorney, denies all the charges. Attorney Joe Amendola, said Sandusky attributes the allegations to troubled kids who are acting out.

Of course they are. All 8. Or 9. Or the eventual 15, 20, 200...

Because Sandusky is an old hand at this and he has been around for a very, very long time....

And statistics show that boys in particular who have been abused in this fashion will drink, turn to drugs and have a high incidence of suicides.

Mothers should start looking hard at their sons who participated in this organization.
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

22. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to believe09 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by believe09 View Post
    Of course they are. All 8. Or 9. Or the eventual 15, 20, 200...

Because Sandusky is an old hand at this and he has been around for a very, very long time....

And statistics show that boys in particular who have been abused in this fashion will drink, turn to drugs and have a high incidence of suicides.

Mothers should start looking hard at their sons who participated in this organization.
    Sure, the good they do isn't an excuse, it was a means to an end. Just like men who enter the priesthood, coach baseball, lead Scouts just to have access to boys while appearing to be a lamb

24. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to strawberry For This Useful Post:

Bill Reiter, FoxSports:

Reported exit looming, JoePa must talk

On Tuesday, 30 minutes before he was scheduled to address more than 120 members of the media about a mounting scandal surrounding allegations a former coach sexually abused young boys and school officials failed to help put a stop to it, the word spread: Once again Paterno would fail to speak.

It seemed a lot like a sign that Paterno is on his way out, and an hour later the New York Times reported just that: That the university is in the process of determining just when, in days or weeks, that Paterno will leave.

Good. But he still must speak. Now. There’s been enough silence to do enough damage for at least eight lifetimes. Reports have surfaced of a ninth victim stepping forward and that Jerry Sandusky — the former defensive coordinator whose alleged abuses are at the center of the case — was seen on the Penn State campus as recently as a week ago working out.
    ---
    Cowards, then and now, every last one of you.
    ---
    more at link above

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

This is sickening

I am finding myself burning with anger. So, some grown men saw a 10 year old being raped in a locker room shower. Which one of them ran to the rescue of this child? Apparently no one. They don't even know the little boy's name!

Then the locker room keys were merely taken away from the perpetrator.......the message being "Carry on, just don't do it here." And I would be willing to bet that to this very day, that pos is still "carrying on".

Everyone involved looks like a criminal to me. I don't care what their "position" in life is. If you saw this happen and did NOTHING, then you are just as guilty as the person commiting the CRIME.
    “When the lives and the rights of children are at stake, there must be no silent witnesses.” Carol Bellamy

28. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to hornswoggled For This Useful Post:

believe09 is offline For nothing is secret that will not be revealed
    Quote Originally Posted by hornswoggled View Post
    I am finding myself burning with anger. So, some grown men saw a 10 year old being raped in a locker room shower. Which one of them ran to the rescue of this child? Apparently no one. They don't even know the little boy's name!

Then the locker room keys were merely taken away from the perpetrator.......the message being "Carry on, just don't do it here." And I would be willing to bet that to this very day, that pos is still "carrying on".

Everyone involved looks like a criminal to me. I don't care what their "position" in life is. If you saw this happen and did NOTHING, then you are just as guilty as the person commiting the CRIME.

Thank you for pointing this out-not one but two grown men witnessed "Jerry" raping two boys in separate incidents in a shower-and neither rushed to the child's aid. Neither grabbed the child and kicked the daylights out of the child's attacker.

Both of them were so badly shaken by the incidents that they repeatedly mentioned them...but not to anyone who counted apparently. But most of all, they let these boys be assaulted. Pretty much sealing the impression these boys already had-that Sandusky could act with impunity and that they were helpless to stop it.

Way to go.

From azwriter's post:

Jerry's father was a pillar of goodness in our home town of Washington, Pa. He opened a center for children from poor families to experience team sports. Everyone remembers the family who gave so much to the youth of the community. Jerry was just an ordinary guy who played baseball and football from pre-teen to high school age.

Sounds familiar.
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to believe09 For This Useful Post:

I'm seething...

How did anyone walk away from the rape of a young boy? How do you do that?! I would have picked up the nearest heavy thing, and there's bound to be a good selection in a locker room, and smashed it against the head of that <I can't think of a name bad enough to fit here> while yelling GET AWAY FROM THAT BOY! And I wouldn't have stopped until the police peeled me off of him.

I don't care who it is. ANYONE!

That one fella was obviously more concerned about his future at Penn State than the fact that a young boy was being brutalized. And, if his future would be in question because he intervened or even chickened out and just called authorities on a boy being assaulted, what does that tell you about Penn State??!

IMO, they ALL need to go to jail.

I think this is the first thread, in my history at WS, that I've resorted to capital letters. OMG, I'm just spitting. I feel like throwing up.

Disgusting, the lot of them.

32. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Ada For This Useful Post:

Another thing! Why do these news reports keep calling this a 'scandal'? A scandal is when you are caught in bed with another man's wife. This is no scandal. This is horrific crimes against children! <breathe ... breathe ... breathe>

My school had a Sandusky...Google Eddie Fisher and Porter Gaud if you want that story. And my hometown is also in the middle of another one - Skip Reville and Charleston, SC.

This story brings up so many emotions in my heart, but of one thing I am certain - a 10-year-old boy being anally invaded by a grown man is something that needs to be followed mercilessly until the end of time by any adult with that knowledge.

My prayers to everyone involved in this painful, painful case.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

35. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to southcitymom For This Useful Post:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...ly-nearing-20/

FOX 29 in Philadelphia is reporting this evening that the number of potential victims is now closer to 20 following a spate of new allegations of sexual abuse. During a press conference Monday, state law enforcement officials publicized phone numbers for potential victims or tipsters to call. Those calls have left investigators with new leads to follow and, apparently, additional alleged victims.

37. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Dr.Fessel For This Useful Post:

Sick to my stomach after reading this. Had heard bits of it on the radio as I was in & out of the car. Karma, JoeP!! You are finished in disgrace that will long outlive you! How could you live with yourself knowing what a member of your staff was doing? You are a Monster for keeping quiet while a pedophile on your staff abused little boys!

A REAL Man would have gone to any height to stop this the second he heard about it!!

39. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to 1&2&3 For This Useful Post:

I wouldn't be surprised if all the Penn State fans cheer in support of Paterno at Saturday's game. It will probably resemble Dear Leader's birthday in North Korea.

41. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to eileenhawkeye For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ada View Post
    Another thing! Why do these news reports keep calling this a 'scandal'? A scandal is when you are caught in bed with another man's wife. This is no scandal. This is horrific crimes against children! <breathe ... breathe ... breathe>

It's incredible, really. I've actually heard a reporter describing the assaults on these boys as "frolicking in the locker room". Many reports use the words "child sex", or "sex with children".

It's CHILD RAPE , and it should be punishable by life in prison, at least!
    Everyone who knew about this and did nothing should lose their jobs and be prosecuted if possible.

43. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to JoeFromLB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by eileenhawkeye View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if all the Penn State fans cheer in support of Paterno at Saturday's game. It will probably resemble Dear Leader's birthday in North Korea.
    I love that comparison.

45. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

From Roxanne Jones, CNN:

Horror in Happy Valley: Paterno must go
    (CNN) -- We are ... Penn State.

I cannot recount the thousands of times that I have proudly proclaimed that chant throughout the years. I belted it out as a Penn State cheerleader, later as a proud alum standing in Beaver Stadium among nearly 100,000 raucous fans, and more recently on Saturday afternoons sitting solo in my TV room watching my Nittany Lions roar in those classic no-name jerseys.
    ---
    If these allegations are proven true, this scandal is far worse than anything that's happened at other universities. Exploiting dozens and raping young boys could never compare to the minor infractions of boosters buying a car for a player or a player selling his autographed football jersey for a few bucks.

Now, as I look back at my years at Penn State and realize that some of these alleged incidents were possibly taking place as I was a student there proudly waving my pompoms, I feel sick.

We are ... Penn State. And we are ashamed.
    the rest of another excellent essay at link above

47. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    From Roxanne Jones, CNN:

Horror in Happy Valley: Paterno must go

the rest of another excellent essay at link above
    That is an intelligent and well written essay......and I agree with everything she said.

49. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to raeann For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast