1326 users online (194 members and 1132 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I had no idea about a trail of bodies found along I-40

Anyone ?
    What lies behind you and what lies in front of you pales in comparison to what lies inside of you....
    Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

Hi Mystic, Yes I have read about the bodies along I40 in OK. It was discussed on a thread here somewhere. Sorry I don't remember which one. This is skeery!

wm
    ...and be sure your sin will find you out.

Numbers,32:23

Body of Missing Mesa Woman Found Along I-40
    Murder Linked to Highway Serial Killer

POSTED: 9:41 pm MST July 16, 2010
    UPDATED: 10:04 pm MST July 16, 2010

SNIPPED>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Investigators with the Tulsa Police Department said surveillance video from the truck stop showed Peterson hitching a ride with a female trucker heading west. She was never heard from again.

In April 2009 a hiker found female skeletal remains at the bottom of a 1,000 foot cliff along I-40 near Lupton, Ariz. The autopsy concluded the woman was beaten to death. The woman was known as "Jane Doe" until DNA identified her last month as Peterson.

Federal investigators believe Peterson's case is not isolated.

The FBI's Highway Serial Killings Initiative investigates the staggering number of bodies dumped near interstate highways. A map on the FBI's website shows there are more than 500 victims over the past three decades, whose killer is a suspected long-haul trucker.

http://www.kpho.com/news/24292545/detail.html
    What lies behind you and what lies in front of you pales in comparison to what lies inside of you....
    Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

This is seriously freaky stuff. 500 bodies is a lot of lives ended abruptly. I'm a little astounded the FBI hasn't been able to get a handle on it. I guess with long-haul truckers it would be much more difficult. I wonder just how many serial-killers it has been over a 30 year period? What an interesting case.

...and be sure your sin will find you out.

Numbers,32:23

Along highways, signs of serial killings

Apologies if this has already been posted.

I find this terrifying. Not the least because no one seems to want to give any information to the travelling public.

In the past four decades, 459 deaths and 41 attempted homicides are believed to be linked to serial killers who are using the nation's highways to find and dispose of their victims.
    and

During the past four decades, at least 459 people may have died at the hands of highway serial killers, FBI statistics show. Investigators do not know how many people may be responsible for the killings but at least one such case of murder, attempted murder or unidentified human remains has been reported in 48 states, along roads as far north as Alaska and as far south as Key West.
    and

Even so, the FBI won't divulge the names of the victims, the dates the victims were abducted or discovered, even the locations where the killers either found their victims or dumped the bodies places motorists might wish to avoid.
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...tm?csp=usat.me

That's a great article and I'm pleased it was in USA Today as so many travelers read that paper. I checked and found the link for the FBI's info page about this initiative:

http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2009...yserial_040609

This cuts close to home for me as I live on the I-5 corridor and my daughter is trafficked up and down the corridor each day. My prayers go out to those victims and to the families left wondering.

I'm certainly still wondering and waiting.

Canada has one (or more) operating here:

http://www.highwayoftears.ca/links.htm

I think I met him. I think he tried to pick me up.

And I looked at the time very much like one of the people on this list, and the place he tried to pick me up is probably within a block or two of where Shelly-Ann Bacsu was last seen.

I didn't know that at the time. I found out later. I was living there for part of the year in 1999/2000. Not the only guy who has tried to pick me up, but he sure stuck with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Missizzy View Post
    That's a great article and I'm pleased it was in USA Today as so many travelers read that paper. I checked and found the link for the FBI's info page about this initiative:

http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2009...yserial_040609

This cuts close to home for me as I live on the I-5 corridor and my daughter is trafficked up and down the corridor each day. My prayers go out to those victims and to the families left wondering.

I'm certainly still wondering and waiting.
    I'm so sorry about your daughter, MissIzzy. You're an amazing woman, that's all I can say.
    The other night, you provided me with a link to a February, 2008, case where the bodies of two women were found in Mississippi in the same week just south of Memphis along the I-40 corridor. (The thread is here in the Missing Unidentified forum. http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...pi+dismembered )

The deaths turned out to be unrelated. One was killed by her live-in boyfriend (horrible case). The second was found near Sardis Dam just off I-55 about 50-ish miles south of the I-40/I-55 junction in Memphis. A member who lives in the area posted that other bodies had been found in the area over the previous few years.

Anyway, it would seem these murders are among the rash of possible serial killings along the I-40 corridor as mentioned in the article you posted. It would be nice to have all related information in one thread. I'm not sure how we'd set that up. Separate threads for Truck Stop Serial Killings East and Truck Stop Serial Killings West? And one for Canada, too.
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

I think Bessie might be onto something. Isn't this what websleuths is for? Linkinng crimes, ferreting out clues? If the people in charge of the task force are going to be close-mouthed with the details, why shouldn't we try to do our own sleuthing? Moderators?

Quote Originally Posted by anneinchicago View Post
    Apologies if this has already been posted.

I find this terrifying. Not the least because no one seems to want to give any information to the travelling public.

and

and

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...tm?csp=usat.me
    The thought of a serial killer is terrifying. I think that is why they hold such interest. But surprisingly most people are in more danger from people they trust than from a serial killer, or ever a random murder.
    Last edited by mysteriew; 10-22-2010 at 06:51 PM.

FBI's hunt for highway serial killers started in Oklahoma
    The FBI's Highway Serial Killing initiative got its start in Oklahoma. Seven women connected to the state were found dead along roadways in 2003 and 2004. State investigators provided the information that led to the FBI's nationwide investigation.

Good article from Sunday Oklahoman along with list (below) of highway killer victims with OK connections

http://newsok.com/fbis-hunt-for-high...rticle/3503019

Margaret Gardner, 47, of Memphis, Tenn., found in Arkansas on July 11, 2003
    Jennifer Hyman, 24, of Oklahoma City, found in Mississippi on Aug. 20, 2003
    Sandra Beard, 43, last seen alive near Interstate 40 and Morgan Road, found in McIntosh County on Sept. 18, 2003.
    Vickie Anderson, 44, last seen alive near Sayre, found in Texas on Oct. 16, 2003.
    Sandra Richardson, 39, of Oklahoma City, found in Okfuskee County on Nov. 22, 2003.
    Patsy Leonard, 23, found in Pottawatomie County on Jan. 1, 2004.
    Casey Jo Pipestem, 19, of Oklahoma City, found in Texas on Jan. 31, 2004

OK-AR-TX-MS I-40 Highway Serial Killings

April 6, 2009

In 2004, an analyst from the Oklahoma Bureau of Investigation detected a crime pattern: the bodies of murdered women were being dumped along the Interstate 40 corridor in Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, and Mississippi.
    The analyst and a police colleague from the Grapevine, Texas Police Department referred these cases to our Violent Criminal Apprehension Program, or ViCAP, where our analysts looked at other records in our database to see if there were similar patterns of highway killings elsewhere.
    Turns out there were. So we launched an extensive effort to support our state and local partners with open investigations into highway murders.
    Today, we’re publicly announcing our Highway Serial Killings initiative to raise awareness among law enforcement agencies and the general public about this issue and our unique assistance on these cases.
    FBI Highway Serial Killings Initiative
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

Quote Originally Posted by mysticrose View Post
    Body of Missing Mesa Woman Found Along I-40
    Murder Linked to Highway Serial Killer

POSTED: 9:41 pm MST July 16, 2010
    UPDATED: 10:04 pm MST July 16, 2010

SNIPPED>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Investigators with the Tulsa Police Department said surveillance video from the truck stop showed Peterson hitching a ride with a female trucker heading west. She was never heard from again.

In April 2009 a hiker found female skeletal remains at the bottom of a 1,000 foot cliff along I-40 near Lupton, Ariz. The autopsy concluded the woman was beaten to death. The woman was known as "Jane Doe" until DNA identified her last month as Peterson.

Federal investigators believe Peterson's case is not isolated.

The FBI's Highway Serial Killings Initiative investigates the staggering number of bodies dumped near interstate highways. A map on the FBI's website shows there are more than 500 victims over the past three decades, whose killer is a suspected long-haul trucker.

http://www.kpho.com/news/24292545/detail.html
    Another link about Patty Peterson sent to me by a member.

http://csafd.proboards.com/thread/36...-peterson-2006

Victim of alleged I-40 serial killer finally found

Sept. 6, 2010

The skeletal remains of a woman who disappeared from a Tulsa truck stop in 2006 have been found, and her slaying has been linked to the FBI's Highway Serial Killings Initiative.

Patty Peterson, 24, was identified after Tulsa police collected DNA samples from Peterson's family and had them entered them in a national database.

"We knew from the very beginning that something bad probably happened to her and that she obviously took a ride from the wrong person," said Tulsa Police Detective Margaret Loveall.

In this case, the system worked as it should to match a missing persons case with unidentified remains, Loveall said.

A hiker found Peterson's skeleton near a rest stop along Interstate 40 in Lupton, Ariz., in April 2009. This summer, authorities confirmed that DNA from the remains matched the samples from Peterson's family.

Cont. at the link
    Last edited by bessie; 11-22-2016 at 12:28 AM.
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

I'm probably way off base here, but the West Memphis Three (Arkansas) were found behind the Blue Beacon truck wash on I-40. I'm sure the police investigated, but darned if this isn't weird.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast