Zoo to split up ‘gay’ Canadian penguins

TrackerSam

Reaction score
Zookeepers in Toronto, while “fascinated” by male African penguins who appear to be a couple, even displaying signs of mating rituals, plan on splitting up the pair for the sake of captive breeding.

In case you are getting this confused with an episode of Parks and Recreation, you aren’t, this is real life:

Toronto Star:

“They do courtship and mating behaviours that females and males would do,’’ one keeper said in an interview.

Those behaviours include making a “braying’’ sound, almost like a donkey, as a mating call. They defend their territory, preen each other, and are constantly standing alone together. In fact when the Star visited the exhibit this week Buddy emerged from the water, followed a few moments later by Pedro. The two huddled together for quite some time.”

http://blog.sfgate.com/hottopics/2011/11/07/zoo-to-split-up-‘gay’-canadian-penguins/

That would explain there love of Broadway musicals.

Attachments

• happy-feet.jpg
    happy-feet.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 6
:floorlaugh: Maybe the zookeepers have mistaken what a penguin mating ritual is? Maybe the penguins have a saying "When in Toronto..." :floorlaugh:

Sorry, but this is hilarious!

In the name of forced breeding they are going to split them up... WTH?!?!?!

Some of the comments at the link are hilarious.

And some are seriously screwed up.

In the name of forced breeding they are going to split them up... WTH?!?!?!

Agreed, if they are happy in their home and keeping warm and snuggly, why bother them. They may get depressed if separated.

ETA: Regardless if the penguins are gay or not, they shouldn't be separated. What if they are just teaching each other what to do when they find the women? What if they are just playing and being happy? What if they are gay? We can add them to the list along with chimps. I just don't want to see them separated, then tossed in with unknowns. They are flock animals, so they need each other and a known other. Now I'm getting sad. :(

Zookeepers in Toronto, while “fascinated” by male African penguins who appear to be a couple, even displaying signs of mating rituals, plan on splitting up the pair for the sake of captive breeding.

In case you are getting this confused with an episode of Parks and Recreation, you aren’t, this is real life:

Toronto Star:

“They do courtship and mating behaviours that females and males would do,’’ one keeper said in an interview.

Those behaviours include making a “braying’’ sound, almost like a donkey, as a mating call. They defend their territory, preen each other, and are constantly standing alone together. In fact when the Star visited the exhibit this week Buddy emerged from the water, followed a few moments later by Pedro. The two huddled together for quite some time.”

http://blog.sfgate.com/hottopics/2011/11/07/zoo-to-split-up-‘gay’-canadian-penguins/

That would explain there love of Broadway musicals.

I did immediately think of that episode of parks and rec!!!

I feel really sad for these penguins. :(

I think this is a terrible thing to do and I'll be interested to see what happens. I don't think it is going to be good at all.

African penguins are monogamous... instead of splitting the pair up to engage in forced breeding, perhaps it might be in their best interest to study them as the couple that they are.

:shush::Bennymonkey:
:floorlaugh: Maybe the zookeepers have mistaken what a penguin mating ritual is? Maybe the penguins have a saying "When in Toronto..." :floorlaugh:

Sorry, but this is hilarious!

Agreed. Maybe they don't see well. Has either penguin shown a sense for fashion? Whatever happens, they'll always have Toronto. :rotfl:

I hope they think better of it, mated birds are very serious about who they favor. Period. I hope they let them be.

Can they not try introducing several females for both of them and let them choose?

Awwww. They should leave Buddy and Pedro alone.

Discrimination against Gays.

Mayor Rob Ford must be behind this.

Awwww. They should leave Buddy and Pedro alone.

Except they want them to breed and Buddy and Pedro aren't going to produce any offspring.
There was another gay penguin couple and they split when a female penguin stole one of the males away.

"SAN FRANCISCO, July 12 (UPI) -- Linda the penguin has split up two male penguins who lived as a nesting couple for six years at the San Francisco Zoo, caretakers said:

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2009/07...ouple-split/UPI-56931247417354/#ixzz1d89sLlTd

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unimog
Back